Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the Leaving Cert as a mature student

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

I'm considering going back to school and repeating the leaving cert. I'm in my 30's, and although I would welcome the challenge, I am not sure if it is the right choice... has anyone of my age here recently done this, and if so, did you find that it was worth your while (rather than applying as a mature student to university, or taking a level 5/6 FETAC as a means to get into college, or work).
    My intention is to go on to third level after completion. I've completed two courses since my original leaving, a cert and a diploma in different fields.
    Any advice would be welcome, as I wondering if I would be a bit crazy to do this!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 x.soph.x

where was you thinking of repeating? I dont think you would be stupid to do this, if it means you'll be able to do what you want in life then why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rosie_McRose

Don't feel stupid. You're not alone!
    I'm in my mid 30's and planning on sitting the 2011 exams.
    I've done college already but am now aiming for a major career change. My previous course was very specific and not very transferable.
    I had picked a distance learning course through a UK college last year, one of the requirements was biology or chemistry. I sat Biology last year - I only picked it up after Easter and got an A1.
    So I spoke to mature student officer in DIT about my dream course here. It's hard to get into and the few mature students already have degrees directly related to the subject. She advised my best option was to try to compete with the LC applicants. So it's back to school this Sept for me!
    My 90's LC can't compete with the high points these days. I'll need 6 A's to get in!
    I've been studying a few subjects over the Summer, and will be cracking down with a strict timetable now. My opinion on it so far is that it's a lot easier when you're older. My original experience of the LC was that I was great at what I loved, but I found it so hard to focus and apply myself on stuff that I wasn't that interested in. As an adult, I'm more disciplined and find everything easy to understand - the trick is memorising which I do with memory tricks.
    Call the mature student officer in the college you're interested in. They can advise on your chances with your previous qualifications, you may find that they'll stand to you, unlike mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Just curious, those mature students that are re sitting their LC, will they have to attend secondary school with all the other 17/18 year olds, or is there a place just for mature students?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Laalaaa

Qualifax.ie is good for info on leaving cert courses all over the country....

I did mine in cork at 24 and just got accepted to nui maynooth as a mature student! By doing the leaving you have 2 chances of getting in...if not as a mature student then by competing with points........I got called for an interview on mature grounds and they gave me a place on the condition that i passed my leaving cert so it was definitely worth while! The ages ranged from 19 to 57 so age wasn't an issue at all,

It's also a good way to get back into studying and a learning environment if you've been out of education for some time!

Another route would be to look up some access/foundation courses in the colleges/areas of study you're interested in.....afaik they're 1yr courses designed to prepare you for college

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Just curious, those mature students that are re sitting their LC, will they have to attend secondary school with all the other 17/18 year olds, or is there a place just for mature students?

It depends how you do it, and where you do it MoonDancer, some colleges offer "Adult" only classes, where the average age would be from 25 up, some just offer repeat classes where all students are in the same class, and then if you do it by distance learning or self teaching, you're on your own except for labs/orals etc.

Fair dues to you OP, I'm hoping to do something similar this year to boost some points, so here's hoping for both of us :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 rik1234

hey rasmus Im 30 and i did it

I did leaving cert maths this year.I was just going to apply to university but after speaking to the adult education center they made me aware that the university would be worried that i have been out of education so long and would want to give the place to someone who has proven there commitment.

This was last December as i wanted to apply for uni before the february 5th deadline.the adult education center got me a part time place in vtos in january and i did LC maths along with with a few other things (fetac Level 5 computers etc)up untill june.only mature people in vtos, my class ranged from 24 to 63

I applied for university and now I am going to maynooth university next week starting a 3 yr finance and accounting degree.I can honestly say if i hadnt studied for 6 months and picked up my LC maths and a few fetac modules I would not have passed my interview for University.

My advice is get stuck in and pick up what you will need in preparation for the college course your thinking of, the time fly's bye its all happened so quick for me.

best of luck ..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rik1234

yes , i had to sit in a class room with 17 yr olds for the test, all my studying was with other mature students but when the LC exam came up me and the other matures had to go to local school and sit in a class with 10 youngsters,

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Rasmus wrote: »
    I'm considering going back to school and repeating the leaving cert. I'm in my 30's, and although I would welcome the challenge, I am not sure if it is the right choice... has anyone of my age here recently done this, and if so, did you find that it was worth your while (rather than applying as a mature student to university, or taking a level 5/6 FETAC as a means to get into college, or work).
    My intention is to go on to third level after completion. I've completed two courses since my original leaving, a cert and a diploma in different fields.
    Any advice would be welcome, as I wondering if I would be a bit crazy to do this!
    Thanks!

A lot would depend on your intended course at third level, some FETAC level 5's are a good stepping stone for college, are assignment and examination based and hold major recognition with some of the universities.

Doing the LC may not include the subjects you want to carry forward to third level. Again a lot depends in your chosen area of pursuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thank you all for your insightful replies! I had gone off the idea, but reading these suggestions has me thinking twice again.
    The only reason I was thinking of repeating was to get the same chance as a school leaver, rather than a 10% chance as a mature student.
    I am following a thread here on how to succeed as a mature applicant, and now think this is my best course of action.
    My choice of course would be a two subject moderateship in Trinity, with languages that I did not study in the leaving at all, but rather fell into in the years that followed. I hope to take some extra language courses this year in anticipation.
    I am keeping an open mind about the LC though - with such a strong advocacy in the forum for it!

rik1234 wrote: »
    hey rasmus Im 30 and i did it

I did leaving cert maths this year.I was just going to apply to university but after speaking to the adult education center they made me aware that the university would be worried that i have been out of education so long and would want to give the place to someone who has proven there commitment.

This was last December as i wanted to apply for uni before the february 5th deadline.the adult education center got me a part time place in vtos in january and i did LC maths along with with a few other things (fetac Level 5 computers etc)up untill june.only mature people in vtos, my class ranged from 24 to 63

I applied for university and now I am going to maynooth university next week starting a 3 yr finance and accounting degree.I can honestly say if i hadnt studied for 6 months and picked up my LC maths and a few fetac modules I would not have passed my interview for University.

My advice is get stuck in and pick up what you will need in preparation for the college course your thinking of, the time fly's bye its all happened so quick for me.

best of luck ..:D

Thanks!!
    I am still on the fence about repeating the leaving, even at this late stage.
    What you say you did interested me, I didn't know you could combine LC subjects with FETAC... and how did you pass the Leaving this time without doing the full course? Can you repeat only one subject?

I've broadened my view on what I would happily study at third level in order to secure good employment upon graduating.
    I've been trying to get into several FETAC courses, as an access to university. Unfortunately I've left it too late, so I am left with these options;

Applying for a FETAC course again next year
    Applying as a mature student and hope a college will let me in on the grounds of life experience
    Repeating the LC and battling with the school leavers for places!

My concern is the Irish. I was bad at it almost 20 years ago - today it's safe to say my skills have gone downhill. I am wondering if it's possible to drop it?
    I am bad at Maths too, and did foundation level in the original LC.

My first choice of course is 395 points in UCD, and 435 in Trinity. To get that, I'd really have to score highly on many higher level papers. Has anyone here managed to get high points on taking a combination of honors and ordinary level subjects?

I really appreciate the feedback I've been given so far - if anyone can further advise me what steps to take I'd be thrilled..... I know I've posed a slew of questions, I hope someone doesn't mind indulging me!!

THANK YOU!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭BroFlo

You dont have to do your full LC, also if you do want to do the full 6 subjects you dont have to do irish as you have passed it already, if you know what i mean. Pick 6 subjects your interested in. If requirments for your course is Irish Maths and English and you have already sat and passed them previously thats good enough and you could do 6 other subjects to get the points.

Iv been excepted in2 uni this year as a mature student, I spent the last year doing biology LC, i did a 3 day FETAC course, did some work experience in the area and emailed every member of the course a few times throughout the year just so they would remember me and know how interested i was:) All this looked great in my interview. I brought a little folder with a reference from my wrk experience and everything to date. They just want to see you really want this course.

I also went to adult education conceller in my local VEC they where great, and helped me prepare for my interview.

Best of Luck in whatever you do!

Thank you BroFlo!! Good info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Just on this subject, I've 4 mature students in my 5th year class. No messing from the others and such a nice vibe. All are parents looking to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

I came across this old thread & as it now applies to myself I thought I'd revamp it. I am doing 3 lcert honours subjects in June 2013 at the age of 50 plus. I intend providing a blow by blow account for anyone interested on twitter @seandepaore

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maz01M

Hi Kilkenny Cat,

My boyfriend is interested in repeating two LC subjects. He doesn't want to repeat the whole thing, just the two he's interested in. He's 25 so classed as a mature student. Where can you sit that small amount of subjects as you did? He doesn't want to return as a full time student, but wishes to get taught and sit just the two. Can you, or anyone else, please tell me where it's possible to do this. We're in the Cork area. Thanks very much for any advice you can give :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I took LC Chemistry last year in the Institute of Education in Dublin, 2 classes both on Saturday one in theory the other practical. Found it strange to be back in education but very rewarding, Enjoyed the course and its what got me my offer of a place in DCU this Sept!

I was also 25

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭shawki

Maz01M wrote: »
    Hi Kilkenny Cat,

My boyfriend is interested in repeating two LC subjects. He doesn't want to repeat the whole thing, just the two he's interested in. He's 25 so classed as a mature student. Where can you sit that small amount of subjects as you did? He doesn't want to return as a full time student, but wishes to get taught and sit just the two. Can you, or anyone else, please tell me where it's possible to do this. We're in the Cork area. Thanks very much for any advice you can give :-)

Anybody can sit the leaving cert for x amount of subjects as an external applicant.

College of Commerce does English, Irish and Maths at night and everything during the day

Depending on the subjects it would be easy enough to study by himself

Advertisement