Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Borrow a chainsaw for tree removal

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Sounds dodgy i know :o but i have a large tree on the land fell over the other week and i`m looking to get it cut and put away,so has anybody around the Newbridge/Milltown/Rathangan area got one i could borrow?
    Just one that will do the job,doesn`t have to be too powerful etc,i will leave a cash deposit obviously and some Euros your way.
    Most i would need it for is 2-3 hours in the evening.
    I have checked the hire shops but they are legally not allowed to hire them out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Why not try a hire shop? There's a Haven Hire in Naas, but im sure there's some sort of plant hire place in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Why not try a hire shop? There's a Haven Hire in Naas, but im sure there's some sort of plant hire place in Newbridge

I have covered that already in my post,:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

so hire shops are not allowed to hire them ? but they do, do they not, so you require some joe soap to walk himself into the schit, :eek::eek::eek::eek:

flutered wrote: »
    so hire shops are not allowed to hire them ? but they do, do they not, so you require some joe soap to walk himself into the schit, :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Are you answering your own question there?
    Either way your post is of no use to me :confused:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

You will find it hard to hire a chainsaw any where.
    Even to get a loan of one, the problem is that if there is an accident with it, the hirer or person who loaned it to you can be held liable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Gregsor wrote: »
    Sounds dodgy i know :o but i have a large tree on the land fell over the other week and i`m looking to get it cut and put away,so has anybody around the Newbridge/Milltown/Rathangan area got one i could borrow?
    Just one that will do the job,doesn`t have to be too powerful etc,i will leave a cash deposit obviously and some Euros your way.
    Most i would need it for is 2-3 hours in the evening.
    I have checked the hire shops but they are legally not allowed to hire them out.

Have you ever used one before ? How big is the Tree? a large tree wouldnot be chopped up in 2-3 hours!!! (And for your own sake take it easy don't Rush it)

Would you not consider hiring someone experienced in the Area... ?

Seriously dangerous piece of kit!! (My dad did this for near 40 years and still had the odd accident nothing serious but he had a safety 'suit' that stops the chain)
    You could buy one of course if you have a bit of land you may use it again later .. do you have an open fire for the block's? or do you intend just to log them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

In Ireland you have to be professionally qualified to use a chainsaw. You cannot have people cutting off their arms and legs.

My daughter spent four years training as a horticulturist, yet if she wishes to use a chainsaw, she will have to do a course in that. I don't believe it's long, but it explains why you cannot hire one. Legal minefield I should imagine.

Gregsor, you should hire a professional.
    Your arms and legs are worth a few quid.

Thanks for the advice.

It is only a one tree job that needs doing,not worth hiring someone to do it to be honest,it can stay there.

I appreciate the dangers involved and the skills required and i am happy for those to be enforced.

I will give it a good going over with the trusty Stanley saw and some sweat!

Oh well at least i learnt something new.

Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Another thought on this, Do you want to use this wood .. ie for firewood, stakes, . .etc

If the tree is big enough and you don't want the wood maybe someone with the required gear could remove the tree for the wood alone... (Plenty of people out there that uses firewood etc... Just an Idea ... Again the insurance is an issue.. and they really need to know what they are doing!!

It is for firewood alright,i have it trimmed down to the main stem already.

I will ponder on and get it done,thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

pm sent

Hi folks if anyone knows a logger looking for a fallen tree,i need rid of one,it's all theirs if they want :).

http://www.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/fallentree-for-logging/482856

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

B&Q sell bow saws for 12 euro. They go through trees very easy.

I would lend you my chain saw, but if you hurt yourself you could sue me.
    Hence Hire shops dont rent them.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    B&Q sell bow saws for 12 euro. They go through trees very easy.

I would lend you my chain saw, but if you hurt yourself you could sue me.
    Hence Hire shops dont rent them.

Thanks for the heads up,i got someone out today who cut it up and took it away,job done :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Will_H

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You cannot have people cutting off their arms and legs.

Sorry - just brought this image to mind....:D:D
    monty_python_black_knight.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110310.p.2200W_Electric_Chain_Saw

If it's not far from the house or it would be easier to hire a generator

Advertisement