Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tree on wet land

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

What's the best type of tree to grow on my site, the ground is very wet all the time, it needs to be properly sorted out ie drainage channels put in or something but for the time being are there any trees that would grow well in soggy ground? At the moment there are trees (I think they are pyracantha) dotted around the site, planted by the previous owner but they've never taken off in the few years I've owned the house, they are not much more than a stalk with a few leaves on them and a handful of orange berries. They're not dead but not growing either. I think I'll just dig them up and plant something else. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

What's the best type of tree to grow on my site, the ground is very wet all the time, it needs to be properly sorted out ie drainage channels put in or something but for the time being are there any trees that would grow well in soggy ground? At the moment there are trees (I think they are pyracantha) dotted around the site, planted by the previous owner but they've never taken off in the few years I've owned the house, they are not much more than a stalk with a few leaves on them and a handful of orange berries. They're not dead but not growing either. I think I'll just dig them up and plant something else. Any suggestions?

Depending on how Big your Site is and how big trees you would want
    you could grow

Large to medium site

Alnus incana (Grey Alder)

Salix alba 'Tristis' (Golden Weepin willow)

Medium to Small garden

Salix babylonica - 'Tortuosa' (Twisted willow)

Cornus alba (Dogwoods)

However all the above is deciduous (Loose leaves in Winter)

Maybe before you Purchase any plants/trees I would recommend improving the soil and site if you need to dig those drainage ditches do so before planting. However if you have a large site you could use the Alder to Help with the Drainage by planting around your borders.
    Hope this help's Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks that does help, I was actually thinking maybe the trees would help with the drainage by absorbing some of the water but wasn't sure. So if I plant something like willow and alder around the perimeter of the shed, this will improve drainage by taking some of the water from the land? Is this right?

Thanks that does help, I was actually thinking maybe the trees would help with the drainage by absorbing some of the water but wasn't sure. So if I plant something like willow and alder around the perimeter of the shed, this will improve drainage by taking some of the water from the land? Is this right?

Just how big is the Area? and how quickly do you want these plants to help with the drainage and do you know why it has Poor Drainage (Is it in the middle of a BOG!!! :-) ) Or near a Stream etc >>> Heavy soil?

If you are in really wet spot you might be better off digging these drains and move the water to another Area if possible (Create a Shallow Pond maybe in a corner if you have the room )

Trees will help to remove some water once mature providing you with Shelter. But it will Time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

I had a similar problem, willow sorted the problem and they are a flying :D

Really nice tree toooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

It's around 3/4 of an acre site. I think the soil is just poor to be honest but I suppose the drainage could be improved by putting in some drainage channels but at the moment I don't have the means to do that. I think I'll check out some willow and alder.

• Advertisement

Most Willows will be faster in growth But as far as I remember the grey alder will fix Nitrogen into your Soil... if it is Poor soil you could grow Nettles for a few years (Best plant I know to add "Humus" to the soil!! granted you'll need to Kill them before using the site. Easily done with the right Chemical and Time!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seanofdbush

I have a wet site that I want to plant some trees in and from reading this thread, it looks like willows and alders are the best option. I asked a friend who (I thought!) knew a bit about trees and he recommended "Green Laurel" treees. I thought laurel was used for hedging...

I know virtually nothing about trees but from what I can find on the internet, it doesn't look like they'd be as good as willows and/or alders. Does anyone know if Laurel would be suitable for planting it wet ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You cant go wrong with alders and willows on a damp site. There are two alders Grey and Italian that I have planted here. alder can take water round its roots for up to 6 months of the year and march on. You can get quite a few different willow bark colors for a bit of variety.

Now I have been told this story by a uk tree academic but havnt tried it myself, but he said that to drain a site you could not do better than Oak as it really pumps out (transpires) a lot of water, so maby plant a few of them too.

Might be a bit of a risk investing in lots of laurel, but no harm to try out a few on the drier parts of the site and see how they get on.

But it will all take time so you will have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 seanofdbush

Thanks Oldtree. I spoke to a local garden centre/nursery and they said that they would willows and alders from November to March, so I will try them then.

BTW, they said that the laurel wouldn't really be suitable for a wet site; they said it was fine for shaded sites but would not thrive in wet land...

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

laurel wouldn't shift as much water i'd say - glossy leaves tend not to transpire as much as other leaves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement