Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Languages

Options
  • 25-08-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

What is the max amount of languages you can do for the leaving cert, including English and Irish? I know most people only do the average 7 subjects but if you have mastered a language or 2 could you just sit the exam? ATM I'm doing French and German for the JC which means 4 languages, but what if I were to learn 2 more for the leaving cert? Is it just too much or should I drop one of them? Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I was exempt from Irish but I did French, Spanish (which I speak fluently) and Portuguese (which is actually my mother tongue). I don't think there's a limit on the languages you can do.

If you're good at languages and your school can accomodate you, go for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

All I know is that you can't do certain languages together (to facilitate examinations) like Swedish and Japanese. You should also remember that languages become much more difficult for the leaving cert. and you might just be better off improving these as much as you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless they clash badly (timetable-wise) there shouldn't be a problem.
    If it's a two exam clash, they will make you come in early for one and keep you supervised until you do the other.
    If it's a three or four exam clash it becomes unfeasible.

For the 'new' European languages, it's supposed to be your mother language.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

That's good to know, thanks. What's the most amount of languages you or someone you know has done. I know I'm doing Japanese defo, because it isn't examined half as much as other languages. Would I drop French or German for Japanese?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Most of the Russian and Swedish languages etc etc are designed for fluent speakers unless your fluent your going to find it very very very difficult so don't do these subjects unless your actually fluent - I think you actually have to speak it as your mother-tongue to allow you to do the exam at all

But there's no limitation to what subjects you can pick - so if your good at languages then do all languages if you like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Russian you don't have to be a native speaker for as it is a curricular subject, but all the ones like Swedish, Latvian, Polish, Romanian etc. you are 'supposed' to be, though I don't think they actually check.

See: http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=eu

Again, you'd have to inform your school examination secretary that you intend sitting your extra subjects when they are submitting the main entries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

If you feel up for it, go ahead! I did Irish, French and Spanish. If I had to do the LC again I would have considered doing Italian, as I can pretty much understand it when I make comparisions between French and Spanish. I know two people who did Irish, French, German and Spanish for the LC. I can't hardly imagine what oral exams week were like, in terms of stress, since continental languages are all on one week. I remember how tired I was, after French and Spanish over a year ago. And then I had Irish to do still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Do yeh ever mix up languages?? Like start speaking Irish and think you're speaking French?

Do yeh ever mix up languages?? Like start speaking Irish and think you're speaking French?
    Sometimes I do mix up German and Irish, especially when I'm trying to translate :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I did 5 (latin, greek, french, german and irish) but a girl on my college course did 7 so doubt there's an actual limit so long as the timetable is ok

• Advertisement

I did 5 (latin, greek, french, german and irish) but a girl on my college course did 7 so doubt there's an actual limit so long as the timetable is ok
    How many of them did you do in school? Like with a teacher?

Advertisement