Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in a mental health environment

• 25-08-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in doing a masters in Mental Health, but they say I need to be working in a mental health environment for at least a year before I apply. Obviously I'm not going to get a paying job, but there doesn't even seem to be any volunteer placements available. Anyone have any suggestions? It would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Volunteer.ie check the health section or possibly contact your local volunteer centre. Simon on the active link website. Volunteering Ireland in their health section would have a lot of overlap with volunteer.ie.
    Pieta house and Aware are good organisations but may not have exactly what you are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 theme song

Hi

I am a helpline volunteer with Teenline Ireland. It was originally set up for teenagers with depression etc. The training course is very good & they get tons of calls every month. You would be suprised the amount of calls we get that are related with mental health.

They have a branch in Tallaght & Portarlington & are hoping to set up another branch in Dublin. Their website is www.teenline.ie

Hope this is of some help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Thank you for your suggestions, I have applied to the Dublin Simon Community and they emailed me on Wednesday to tell me that they would contact me the same day but so far I have heard nothing. I've emailed them several times and rang them, but keep getting an answering machine (which I've left my contact details on). They're supposed to be recruiting this month for next month, so they're really cutting it fine. But I'm starting to lose hope :(

Advertisement