Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M42 for Canon and some good lenses

• 25-08-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi, can't find anything on here about M42 mounts and lenses. I have a Canon 450D with the kit lens and my wife has restricted my budget. So I was doing a bit of research and found that I could buy an M42 adapter for my canon and but old lenses. I know I would have to use manual focus but that doesn't bother me.
    Any advice on buying an M42 adapter?
    And any advice on lenses for 3 different categories
    1. Portrait
    2. Walk about lens
    3. Landscape/Zoom lens

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll probably have to focus wide open and stop down for the shot itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The M42 -> EOS adapters are on eBay e.g.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/weakpotoman

You should look out for the adapters with the AF confirm on them.

I've a couple of Takumar (55mm 1.8) and Zeiss M42 (35mm F2.8) lenses which are quite good.

Some lens related discussion here:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/m42/discuss/72157623041357931/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Brilliant. Thats what I was after. Wasn't sure about the M42 mount. Seen some without the AF confirm for dirt cheap but I will spend the extra couple of euro and get one with the AF confirm.

Thanks for the links. I have a bit of reading to catch up on.

Do you have any zoom lenses? I prefer doing landscape photography and a zoom lens would be my first purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

No M42 zoom lenses for me I'm afraid... but I'm sure you'll find some on eBay.

The M42 adapter can be used in Aperture Priority mode on your camera. You set the camera's aperture setting to the lenses max aperture (e.g. F1.8), you then set the lens to the required aperture (e.g. F8) and the camera will work out the shutter speed. You can obviously stop down from F8 in between if you require more light through the viewfinder to compose before setting the lens aperture back to the required setting for the photo.

Trawling ebay at the minute :)

• Advertisement

Just wondering does anyone out there have first hand experience with any 135mm or above M42 lens

Advertisement