Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain Alert: Nikon D3000 & 18-55 VR Lens €355 dixons, Dublin Airport

• 25-08-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭

stimpson wrote: »
    I was going to pick one of these up before I went on holidays - cheapest I could find it in dublin was €479

I was planning to buy it while I was away, but saw it in Dixons in the Duty Free for €355 (non-Duty Free Price as I was flying within the EU)

They also had the D5000 kit reduced to about 550 - this is the one I should have got. there were discounted lenses there too.

Anyway - happy snapping!

I think thats not a bad price at all :)

Should I switch or wait for me 55

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Switch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

That's not a bad price at all -I'd say there'll be a fair few price reductions to be had now that the D3100 has been announced, making the D3000 obsolete (in current terms, it's still a cracking camera for the price!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I bought a 5DMKII in there last Friday. I have never bought anything of value in duty free before and was pleasantly surprised that it was actually a good bit cheaper than high street prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The D5000 should drop a lot too, I can see the 3100 taking sales away from it. It does just about everything the D5000 does - apart from the swivel LCD screen. It's got a higher MP count that general users will be attracted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I notice the D3000 doesn't have live view. Would any of you other D-SLR users find that a problem? As a compact digital user looking to upgrade, I think I might...

• Advertisement

Relying on Live-view is a burden IMO. It can be handy for awkward angles/low to the ground or up over head shots - but holding a camera at arms length for regular shooting decreases stability. It's much more comfortable and sturdy to use the view finder.

I don't have Live view, nor do I miss it from when I used a compact.

The image in the viewfinder, though, looks the same whatever the aperture/shutter speed/focus settings - is that right?

(I know there are indicators for these things but the image in the viewfinder doesn't represent them, if I'm not mistaken.)
    Relying on Live-view is a burden IMO. It can be handy for awkward angles/low to the ground or up over head shots - but holding a camera at arms length for regular shooting decreases stability. It's much more comfortable and sturdy to use the view finder.

I don't have Live view, nor do I miss it from when I used a compact.

On my cam there's a button to the front that displays the aperture effect in the viewfinder when pressed, though I never use it tbh. Quick preview of a test shot is usually enough.

Does the image change according to settings in live view? I'm not even sure, last time I used 'live view' was on a compact that only displayed a digitally reproduced view. And that didn't show changes to settings, so you still relied on the preview of a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Tallon wrote: »
    I think thats not a bad price at all :)

Should I switch or wait for me 55

Waittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!! A55. :)

Cheers. Is yours a D3000 then?
    On my cam there's a button to the front that displays the aperture effect in the viewfinder when pressed, though I never use it tbh. Quick preview of a test shot is usually enough.

Does the image change according to settings in live view? I'm not even sure, last time I used 'live view' was on a compact that only displayed a digitally reproduced view. And that didn't show changes to settings, so you still relied on the preview of a shot.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Is yours a D3000 then?

No, I use a D200 - I've only held a D3000 once - tiny little thing :D [compared to the D200 at least] But I'm sure the viewfinder is about the same? On the D200 I very rarely use the LCD outside of previewing images. Most of the necessary controls are on body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The image in the viewfinder, though, looks the same whatever the aperture/shutter speed/focus settings - is that right?

(I know there are indicators for these things but the image in the viewfinder doesn't represent them, if I'm not mistaken.)

The image in the viewfinder is viewing directly through the lens. This means that you'll see pretty much what the image is going to be (depending on the coverage, could by 92% or 96% or so) and what the camera is currently focused on. The image is shown at the widest available aperture on the lens, but on some (but not all) cameras there is a DOF preview button which will allow you to stop down the lens to whatever the taking aperture is to preview the depth of field.

In addition in the viewfinder image there will be various indications of set shutter speed, aperture, probably the currently selected focus point, whether or not it's IN focus or not, and probably other info too. The idea is not to require the photographer to lift his eye from the viewfinder at any point.

It's considerably better than a screen or EVF, if for nothing else than the fact that you're looking at the actual scene, not some processed digital facsimile of it.

-edit-
    Actually, after a quick check online, there's no DOF preview on the D3000, and the viewfinder coverage is 95%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I bought a 5DMKII in there last Friday. I have never bought anything of value in duty free before and was pleasantly surprised that it was actually a good bit cheaper than high street prices.

How much cheaper?

arouds 300 cheaper than conns and 150 cheaper than calumet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

anyone know how much the 7D is in Dixons at the airport?
    arouds 300 cheaper than conns and 150 cheaper than calumet

the number is 8447198

Advertisement