Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Dell laptop and IE 8

• 25-08-2010 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell 1300(Ithink) laptop which I used to browse the net on with dial-up. It's about 5 yeaqrs old which I know is virtually an antique.

I recently got 3 mobile broadband (which has its own issues but anyway) and connected the laptop and browsed the net no problem-o. Unfortunately I then followed a link to download IE 8 and since then I can't access the net. (I'm using a different laptop at the min) I think I'm going to have to wipe the machine and start again or does anyone else have any ideas to sort this out. The machine is painfully slow as well so starting again might be the best option.

Anyone have any ideas? I've gone through internet settings and restored factory defaults wherever I can and still no go.

I don't have internet access on the machine so any suggestions to download this or that won't work.

Thanks in advance:):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MyPCisBanjaxed

Is it just IE8 that won't work or can you not get connected at all (i.e. using Chrome or Firefox)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

Is it just IE8 that won't work or can you not get connected at all (i.e. using Chrome or Firefox)?

Thanks for replying, can't get connected at all, it worked fine with IE7, as soon as I downloaded IE 8 then kaput.

I downloaded Firefox and Google Chrome to a memory stick and put it on to the Dell (not at the same time) and nothing (I don't know if this shoud have worked at all.

I also had a lengthy phone call with £ customer service and all their diagnostic checks came back to say it's the laptop.

I'm also using the 3 bb all the time on the other laptop.

Any more info you need let me know. I'd really appreciate any help. :)

Have you scanned with up to date Anti-Virus and done a scan with Spybot Search & Destroy or Malware Bytes, just to make sure it's not a bug.

If so, I'd be inclined to remove the 3 USB key then remove all the 3 software using Control Panel>Add Remove Programs (I'm presuming it's an XP machine, if it's Vista then it is Control Panel > Programs using Classic view).

When this is done, restart the machine and plug in the USB key again, it should set itself back up automatically, or with very little input from you.

If this doesn't work, remove IE8 through the control panel as well, it'll go back to IE7. See if any of that works.

Have you scanned with up to date Anti-Virus and done a scan with Spybot Search & Destroy or Malware Bytes, just to make sure it's not a bug.

If so, I'd be inclined to remove the 3 USB key then remove all the 3 software using Control Panel>Add Remove Programs (I'm presuming it's an XP machine, if it's Vista then it is Control Panel > Programs using Classic view).

When this is done, restart the machine and plug in the USB key again, it should set itself back up automatically, or with very little input from you.

If this doesn't work, remove IE8 through the control panel as well, it'll go back to IE7. See if any of that works.

Tried all of that and would have been part of the diagnostic that 3 went through on the phone.

I suppose I'm looking for something new to try, I think I'll end up having to start from scratch with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

do you have any system restore points to before IE8 was installed?

• Advertisement

whiteman19 wrote: »
    do you have any system restore points to before IE8 was installed?

You'll have to forgive me but I have no clue what you're talking about:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

system restore points bring your computer back to an earlier point in time, usually without affecting your files, and getting rid of any recent system changes
    what Operating System are you using (vista or XP)?

whiteman19 wrote: »
    system restore points bring your computer back to an earlier point in time, usually without affecting your files, and getting rid of any recent system changes
    what Operating System are you using (vista or XP)?

XP.

Is that good or bad :)

Not great, XP doesn't do auto-restore points unless you've set it to do them, and virtually nobody does, Vista does.

You can try an XP overinstall rather than wiping the PC completely if you've got the system set up just as you want it. You'd still want to back up beforehand, but it's worth a shot. It entails booting from the XP CD you got with the PC (you may have to change the boot order in the Bios to do this, your bootup start will usually tell you what key you have to press to get into this).

Rather than taking the first Restore option on the boot up CD (which requires that you have Restore points on your PC, which you probably don't have) keep going as if you're going to do a full re-install.

When you get to the point where it asks you to either wipe the HDD or use the version of Windows it's already got, ask it do do a repair on the original Windows OS.

There are loads of sites out there that give you a full rundown on the procedure if you type in 'Overinstalling Windows XP' into a search engine.

If you've no data on the PC you really need to keep, or you've backed up everything you want, then a full re-install is actually recommended occasionally to get rid of junk and damaged files from time to time - so now might be the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

What about updating to the latest service pack if it isn't already?

Worth a try before you do repair reinstall or complete reinstall.

• Advertisement

jpl888 wrote: »
    What about updating to the latest service pack if it isn't already?

Worth a try before you do repair reinstall or complete reinstall.

Would that not require internet access? I can't get on to the net at all.:o

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Would that not require internet access? I can't get on to the net at all.:o

You will be able to download a version of Firefox using ftp.

You can then download the distributable version of service pack "whatever" with that. That is unless things are really really borked, but chances are it will work.

I can parrot ftp commands if you like?

You will be able to download a version of Firefox using ftp.

You can then download the distributable version of service pack "whatever" with that. That is unless things are really really borked, but chances are it will work.

I can parrot ftp commands if you like?

Hi jpl888,

You might need to give me details of what you're sggesting in the simplest terms possible. I'm a little out of my depth with all of this.

If you can spare the time of course. :)

Not great, XP doesn't do auto-restore points unless you've set it to do them, and virtually nobody does, Vista does.

You can try an XP overinstall rather than wiping the PC completely if you've got the system set up just as you want it. You'd still want to back up beforehand, but it's worth a shot. It entails booting from the XP CD you got with the PC (you may have to change the boot order in the Bios to do this, your bootup start will usually tell you what key you have to press to get into this).

Rather than taking the first Restore option on the boot up CD (which requires that you have Restore points on your PC, which you probably don't have) keep going as if you're going to do a full re-install.

When you get to the point where it asks you to either wipe the HDD or use the version of Windows it's already got, ask it do do a repair on the original Windows OS.

There are loads of sites out there that give you a full rundown on the procedure if you type in 'Overinstalling Windows XP' into a search engine.

If you've no data on the PC you really need to keep, or you've backed up everything you want, then a full re-install is actually recommended occasionally to get rid of junk and damaged files from time to time - so now might be the time.

I'd struggle to find the XP disc and it's all gone a bit technical for me after that bit :confused:

Hi jpl888,

You might need to give me details of what you're sggesting in the simplest terms possible. I'm a little out of my depth with all of this.

If you can spare the time of course. :)

From the command prompt:-
    ftp ftp.heanet.ie

When it asks for a user name type "anonymous" and use your own email address as the password (it can be any valid email address).
    bin
    hash
    cd /pub/ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.8/win32/en-GB
     mget "Firefox Setup 3.6.8.exe"

Say "y" to get the file.

Watch the nice hash signs going down your screen.
    quit
     "Firefox Setup 3.6.8.exe"

Will start the installer. Install Firefox tell me what service pack you are currently on so I send you the right link (that's in control panel, system BTW)

From the command prompt:-
    ftp ftp.heanet.ie

When it asks for a user name type "anonymous" and use your own email address as the password (it can be any valid email address).
    bin
    hash
    cd /pub/ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/3.6.8/win32/en-GB
     mget "Firefox Setup 3.6.8.exe"

Say "y" to get the file.

Watch the nice hash signs going down your screen.
    quit
     "Firefox Setup 3.6.8.exe"

Will start the installer. Install Firefox tell me what service pack you are currently on so I send you the right link (that's in control panel, system BTW)

Thanks, I'll try that later this evening when I get home.

Thanks, I'll try that later this evening when I get home.

Ok, I was able to use system restore to get back to old IE7. Now the laptop is not showing certain buttons, eg, I went to download Firefox and there's no button to download the actual browser. I've tried others like Googlle Chrome and there seems to be problems with all of them. I downloaded the latest Flash Player and that hasn't really done anything.Please help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Have you applied all windows updates to the machine??

Ok, I was able to use system restore to get back to old IE7. Now the laptop is not showing certain buttons, eg, I went to download Firefox and there's no button to download the actual browser. I've tried others like Googlle Chrome and there seems to be problems with all of them. I downloaded the latest Flash Player and that hasn't really done anything.Please help!!!

Sorry I forgot about you in the furore.

Let's approach it from the other angle then, uninstall the last service pack on your machine. i.e. go into control panel -> add/remove programs -> look down the list for "service pack uninstall" or words to that effect. Post back if you aren't sure which one it is.

I can also sort this one out for you as much as possible remotely gratis if you like. Post back if you are interested.

You could also type/paste http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/3/0/d30e32d8-418a-469d-b600-f32ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe into "Start -> Run" and hit ok. That *should* start downloading service pack 3 which you could then install.

Perhaps try that first as it might be the easiest way to sort the problems out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

start menu -> all programs -> accessories -> command prompt

Type "ping boards.ie" in the window that appears.
    If you get messages saying the connection timed out then it is likely to be something to do with your internet connection itself, rather than your pc configuration.

Also try this:

Open ie -> select internet options from the tools menu -> select the advanced tab -> press the Reset button.

edit:

Another possibility is a process is using up all your bandwidth. To see if it is this:

start menu -> all programs -> accessories -> right click command prompt and select run as administrator -> type "netstat -b" (with the space).
    This will list all the processes that have network connections open.

Advertisement