Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1password iphone app

• 25-08-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

I bought the 1password pro app yesterday and while its a very good app for what it does, I'm a little confused over a few points.

First of all, I was under the assumption that when you've entered all your data for like facebook/twitter/ebay etc, and set up your password and master password, that all you needed to do was go to the facebook app(for example) and when you tapped in the username/password box that you typed in your master password(for 1password) and it would auto fill in your details!

This is NOT the case at all. It's actually not very easy at all and requires ALOT of copy/pasting in order to get the details. In fact, it takes alot longer to use 1password to get your details than it would to simple go to the app itself and input the details from memory.

Fair enough, the whole point is to have all these complicated passwords, but honestly I don't see the point when you have to do all this copy/paste work.

I honestly thought that all i'd have to do was go to the app, and the 1password app would allow me to type in its master password and alway I'd go.

1password is very good, I'm not saying otherwise, its just not as easy to use and they let on.

Just a thought for anyone looking to purchase it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

i dont think its possible for any app to do what you thought the app would do
    all it does is store passwords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

The 1Password app really shines when it comes to using the desktop application with it. The point is that you have loads and loads of different really complex passwords, and once you get the bookmark set up in mobile safari, it is actually really fast when it comes to copy-pasting, thanks to multitasking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

First of all, I was under the assumption that when you've entered all your data for like facebook/twitter/ebay etc, and set up your password and master password, that all you needed to do was go to the facebook app(for example) and when you tapped in the username/password box that you typed in your master password(for 1password) and it would auto fill in your details!
    The Mac version integrates with your web browser and does just what you describe. However, there's no way for it do this on the iPhone/iPad, especially with other apps such as Facebook. But you can set up a bookmarklet in Safari which makes switching to 1Password, copying the password and switching back a bit easier. There's also a built-in browser in 1Password. It really works as well as it can given the limitations of the platform.

As said above, the iPhone/iPad apps are mostly intended as companions to the full Mac/Windows version. I have the Mac version and it works great. Generates random passwords, saves them and fills them in for me. For this reason I find the iPhone/iPad versions to be invaluable. They also synch with Dropbox, and you can even access your data file via your browser without the application.

1Password is a fantastic application if you take full advantage of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

yeah fair enough. I suppose I was just under the impression that it could do what I was thinking.

But I do see the value of the application combined with a mac.

yeah fair enough. I suppose I was just under the impression that it could do what I was thinking.

But I do see the value of the application combined with a mac.

They are betatesting a windows version of 1Password at the moment. You might be able to get in on that (for free, possibly) if you don't have a Mac.

If you do have a Mac, there are regular HUGE discounts on the software where you should be able to get it for better then half price. And it's worth evey penny.

• Advertisement

slasher_65 wrote: »
    They are betatesting a windows version of 1Password at the moment. You might be able to get in on that (for free, possibly) if you don't have a Mac.

If you do have a Mac, there are regular HUGE discounts on the software where you should be able to get it for better then half price. And it's worth evey penny.

Yeah I've windows. Might give it a look so!

Ok, so I'm using the beta windows version of 1password.

I wonder could I sync my passwords/data from my iphone app to the windows version?

Also, to log onto boards using the windows version, I've 1password program open, I click into the username box on boards, then open the 1password window on click copy(boards username details) and then paste into box?

This is how I've done it so far.

Ok, so I'm using the beta windows version of 1password.

I wonder could I sync my passwords/data from my iphone app to the windows version?

Also, to log onto boards using the windows version, I've 1password program open, I click into the username box on boards, then open the 1password window on click copy(boards username details) and then paste into box?

This is how I've done it so far.

I have never used the Windows version, but I suspect that there should be an option in there somewhere to install an extention to your browser that will automatically to it when you hit a certain keystroke. (I use ctrl and /). As for syncing, it is possible. Again, I'm not sure if the Windows version allows Dropbox syncing, and that's the best way to do it so look into that. You can also sync over Wifi. There should be instructions on the site or in the application.

slasher_65 wrote: »
    I have never used the Windows version, but I suspect that there should be an option in there somewhere to install an extention to your browser that will automatically to it when you hit a certain keystroke. (I use ctrl and /). As for syncing, it is possible. Again, I'm not sure if the Windows version allows Dropbox syncing, and that's the best way to do it so look into that. You can also sync over Wifi. There should be instructions on the site or in the application.

ok, i'll look into it later dude. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

Guys

looking for a little help.

How do i go about syncing 1password across my mac and iPhone?

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

golfnut1 wrote: »
    Guys

looking for a little help.

How do i go about syncing 1password across my mac and iPhone?

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Use the iCloud sync option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Even though I have an iCloud account, I use Dropbox for 1Password syncing, and it works really well, so it's a good option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭golfnut1

Type 17 wrote: »
    Even though I have an iCloud account, I use Dropbox for 1Password syncing, and it works really well, so it's a good option too.

Im using dropbox now and its working a treat. great app.

Thanks guys

Advertisement