Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a portrait lens for a nikon d80

• 25-08-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Could someone please recommend a lens (as a present) for a Nikon D80.

The person takes a lot of portrait photos.

I am confused the amount of variants of the 50mm. I am thinking along the lines of the 'nifty fifty', if someone could tell me which one is compatible with the camera.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D will auto-focus with the D80, it's about as cheap a portrait lens as you can get and one of the sharpest, they'll love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I agree with thecageyone. The 50mm f/1.8 D is a great lens. Cheap too.

If you like the person enough and have the cash to spare, I know I'd like to have the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The cheapest option is as already mentioned...the 50mm f/1.8 D. Other than that I'd look at the 35mm f/1.8 AF-S or the 85mm f/1.8 D. Really depends on what your budget is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Someone mentioned going down to a 35mm.. classically 85-135mm prime lenses have been the favoured range for portraits... so if you go down a bit.. the 50m would be the bottom of that range, and 74mm-85mm's the long end of the range on a camera that's not a full-frame image sensor.

I have taken some good portrait-y shots with a nifty 50 on my film SLR.. so there is merit to going down to 35mm range as well.

Advertisement