Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Bike ?

• 25-08-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope you can give me your help and opinions as I have a few questions regarding buying a bike.

I recently have started taking part in adventure races and duathlons. I am now hooked and I need to get myself a bike. I have been getting a lend of my mates road bike for the races.

So i want to get a road bike as part of the cycle to work scheme and I need to be pointed in the right direction.

Which make of bike should I be looking for ? My budget is t €500 - 700 .

I am based in Dublin so which cycle shops are the best to buy from ?

I was just look online and came across halfords and saw this bike :

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_272635_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

Am i better to steer away from this and go to a good cycle shop or is this a good entry level bike.

Any advise would help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Most people on here don't like Halford's bikes. This bike is MUCH nicer and worth the extra money.

http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=31155

Giant are one of the best and most reliable makes. This bike is often mentioned for people getting into biking and willing to spend this kind of money. The shop is in Tallaght and the people there probably know their stuff. (P.S there's quite a few similar threads here if you want more info)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

decathlon in belfast ?????

(was looking at them in france - they look nice)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/road-sport-bikes-3963881/

sport 2 got a good review in cycling active (sport 3 is even in stock )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

greenplain wrote: »
    Which make of bike should I be looking for ? My budget is t €500 - 700 .
    Does this mean that your out-of-pocket budget is that range or the total cost (i.e. you will pay 250-350)?

If it is the former, you could get something higher in the Giant Defy range, or look at Specialized Allez, or Trek 1.2. There are many other brands that others can suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Bike Radar did a review of this very bike. They start by saying
    ... Halfords get a bit of a rough ride from experienced cyclists – justifiably so for their cheap Apollo bikes, but the Carrera range is different. As long as it’s been assembled by a competent mechanic, with a Carrera you can expect a bike that’s as good quality as any name-brand rival – and almost certainly better value.
    Read the rest of the very positive review of the Virtuoso here

The Virtuoso currently sell for €440. With your budget you could go for the Halfords Carrera Vanquish which sells for €660 (+50%). I have eyeballed both and would say the Vanquish is worth the extra. However, the cheaper Virtuoso has a frame which allows the easy fitment of mudguards and carriers.

As mentioned above, depending on your tax rate, the list price could be reduced by more than 50% is you pay tax at the higher rate - i.e. If you want to spend €500 net, you can purchase a bike and accessories up to €1000 (the max the scheme can cover, but you can spend more as long as it comes out of your own pocket).

Have fun!

Advertisement