Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kite Photography

• 25-08-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Greetings all. My first post here.

I have just inherited a large box kite.

I would like to fit a camera to it so that photographs can be taken aloft.

This is just for "family fun" - not a commercial application.

Ideally it'd be a small, light digital camera that you'd set a 60s time delay on; or a camera that can take photos at time intervals, e.g. every 30s.

I had a look at the small video recorders (such as MUVI) but those have only 640x480 and very wide angle lens.

Any thoughts about what equipment I could use? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

The general method used is to fire the camera by remote control or the camera is rotated on an automated mechanism and fired in synch with position changes.

Have a look at this website for some equipment ideas

http://www.brooxes.com/

and one of the main forums where all things kite photography is discussed is here

http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/kap/discuss/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

did a search there some cameras still have time delay. Pentax Optio WS80 Review seems like a good one for the job light waterproof.

there is a comparison page on dpreview.com that lets you compare.

it's something I have always wanted to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I know you can get video/photo cameras for R/C planes. I've researched them to fit onto my own plane, and they're normally plugged into the radio system so you can use a spare channel on the remote to activate it. They use their own power source, and I've seen them on eBay for round €70.

I dunno if they'll be your solution. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The G9 has Time Lapse which will take an image every 1 or 2 seconds. This would work but I am not sure I would trust my G9 on a Kite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

That is some brilliant information! Thanks you Mr Green Divil + others.

Think I'll start by making a DIY hanger from the line, and get a camera with internal repeat timer. It'll take me a month or two but I will post some results.

Edit: Google "didital camera with interval timer" brings up lots of options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement