Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone line

• 25-08-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,640 ✭✭✭

I have a regular PSTN phone line in my house but its only in the hall press which is a very small area

I work from home somtimes and have a DSL modem am soon getting a hardware VPN for work

Anyways, without going in to much detail, the phone line is only in the hall press and I would need to have the phone line at another location in the house i.e. spare room

I know I could do it myself but am not confident in doing it

My question is, is there a company/trader that would do a job like this ?

Would Eircom etc. do such a job like this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheNewMe

If all you want to do is have internet access via your DSL line then consider getting a wireless router and connecting from your PC to the DSL modem using WiFi. Of course you will need a power socket in the hall press for the wireless router but it sounds like you probably already have one for the DSL modem .

If basic WiFi (20 euros for a wireless router) doesn't meet your speed needs you can look at a wireless-N WiFi variant . A wireless-N router will set you back 50-100 euros or so and you may need a wireless-N adapter for your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,640 ✭✭✭obi604

TheNewMe wrote: »
    If all you want to do is have internet access via your DSL line then consider getting a wireless router and connecting from your PC to the DSL modem using WiFi. Of course you will need a power socket in the hall press for the wireless router but it sounds like you probably already have one for the DSL modem .

If basic WiFi (20 euros for a wireless router) doesn't meet your speed needs you can look at a wireless-N WiFi variant . A wireless-N router will set you back 50-100 euros or so and you may need a wireless-N adapter for your pc.

Well the thing here is that I am getting a hardware VPN for work

I have a wireless modem already

So the phone line from Eircom would plug in to the DSL modem, then from the DSL modem a cable to the Hardware VPN, then from hardware VPN a cable to a Work PC/phone

So I dont think the wireless modem will work in this situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭altor

obi604 wrote: »
    I have a regular PSTN phone line in my house but its only in the hall press which is a very small area

I work from home somtimes and have a DSL modem am soon getting a hardware VPN for work

Anyways, without going in to much detail, the phone line is only in the hall press and I would need to have the phone line at another location in the house i.e. spare room

I know I could do it myself but am not confident in doing it

My question is, is there a company/trader that would do a job like this ?

Would Eircom etc. do such a job like this ?

It is only a matter of running a cable from the phone in the hall to the other point you want the phone. There are only two cores off the cables to connect at either end. If you have a Eircom socket in the hall the extension cable will come off the L1 L2 at the back of the socket, then at the other end it gets connected back into the L1 L2. It is not that big a job if the cable run is easy to do.

suppose I cud do that, what do you mean when you say L1 and L2

cable run is not so easy :(

suppose I cud do that, what do you mean when you say L1 and L2

cable run is not so easy :(

On the back of the Eircom socket there are L1 L2, this is where you put the main line so when you plug in your phone it works.

Staple the cable to the skirting board, bring it under the carpet.

Easy enough to do.

• Advertisement

ok, thanks for the help

not really too sure on what your talking about - I think I better physically have a look at it to see what the story is

ok, thanks for the help

not really too sure on what your talking about - I think I better physically have a look at it to see what the story is

Hope this helps ;)

sounds, thanks altor

sounds, thanks altor

Your welcome, i thought you would get it better if i did the picture :D

Advertisement