Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new netbook or laptop

• 25-08-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

i am in the market for a new netbook or laptop. i will be using it mainly for internet access, playing poker streaming tv shows and some music.would i be better off with the smaller net book or the lap top. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

A netbook would do everything you have mentioned except maybe streaming HD video. Besides that its mainly just down to your personal preferences, with a netbook would you mind using a small screen(10.1"), with a laptop how portable does it need to be to carry around, how long do you want the battery to last, how much do you want to spend?

Also you probably should of posted in the Laptop forum and answered these questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Having owned both here's my two cents:

Netbooks are fine if you don't intend on heavy usage or a lot of typing such as word docs etc. I purchased one for college and to be honest got tired of it fairly quickly - I had an ASUS Eee PC (10 inch I think) and while it was ok it was a bit slow at booting up and multitasking (and yes I kept it in top notch condition, defrag, CCleaner, virus free etc)

So, I purchased an ASUS UL30A (330GB drive, Win7 64bit, 4GB RAM) after that and never looked back (review link below). There was a huge difference as regards performance in boot time, video, web surfing - a much better machine all round but still relatively small and light. The best thing about it though is that at the right settings you can get 10hours plus battery time. It's a little pricey at around 600 yo-yos but I'll definitely get a few years out of it!

Hope this helps ;)

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5263

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

netbook will do the job. problem is most retailers will try and keep the price down and sell you one with only 1GB of RAM. Not a problem if it ships with Windows XP but you really need 2GB if it has Windows 7. not too hard to upgrade.

as the poster below said if you will be doing a lot of work then a laptop will suit you better, the bigger screen and keyboard will make things easier. but for leisure pursuits it's hard to beat the netbooks, you can bring them anywhere!

Advertisement