Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up and dropping subjects as a repeat student.

• 25-08-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm nearly sure i'm repeating my Leaving Cert (Unless I get my first choice on the second round)

The subjects I done last year were. English,Irish(ordinary),Maths(ordinary),French,Economics,Technology & DCG.

I need a Science subject to do Physio next year.I have an interest in the anatomy of the body and nutrition so I think i'm goin' to take up Biology and drop English and Irish. I passed ordinary maths last year so do you think it would be a good idea to drop ordinary Maths and take up Ag Science because it is linked to Biology, then I would have 6 honours subjects instead of 5 or would taking up two new subjects be too much of a challenge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

NotExactly wrote: »
    Ok I'm nearly sure i'm repeating my Leaving Cert (Unless I get my first choice on the second round)

The subjects I done last year were. English,Irish(ordinary),Maths(ordinary),French,Economics,Technology & DCG.

I need a Science subject to do Physio next year.I have an interest in the anatomy of the body and nutrition so I think i'm goin' to take up Biology and drop English and Irish. I passed ordinary maths last year so do you think it would be a good idea to drop ordinary Maths and take up Ag Science because it is linked to Biology, then I would have 6 honours subjects instead of 5 or would taking up two new subjects be too much of a challenge?

Ok, well I don't know where you want to go to do physiotherapy, so I just went to the Trinity website. The entry requirements of that course say that you need either a C3 in OL maths or a D3 at higher level, so unless you got a C3, you will need to repeat for a higher grade. (Again, this is just TCD, other colleges may have different requirements.)

I would watch out with those two science options. Many colleges will not accept a combination of Biology and Ag. Science when they are looking for two science subjects. Again, as an example, Trinity does not for physiotherapy and they want you to do two and get a HLC3 in both, which could be a big ask if you're starting two science subjects from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EDude

Right, for the most part i agree with MavisDavis, especially on the fact that Biology and Ag. Science are rarely accepted together. For my Leaving Cert this year I took Biology and Ag Science but I also had Chemistry.

The points for physio are quite high, around the mid 500s, so with an ordinary level subject do you feel you cold manage to get those points with your maximum only being 560?

I think taking Biology is an excellent idea. The course is relatively well structured and the exam format requires snappy, factual answers, ideal if youre the type of person that can learn off material and "spit it back onto the page" !!

From experience I would say Ag. Science is 60% Biology. I took Ag Science as a extra subject and received a B3 having not attended an Ag. Science class. But I would think it unwise to team it with Biology for fear they would not be accepted together.

Make sure you look at the course subject requirements carefully and then decide on your subjects. If you do decide to take 6 honours subjects I would recommend Geography or Business as your 6th honours subject. These subjects are easier to do in a year and considering your subjects from last year I think the would be most suitable.

Hope that all helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Ag Science is the way to go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

if it is allowed for your course then i would say ag science and bio would be the way to go. i think it would be very tough taking up 2 new subjects unless one is ag

Advertisement