Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Marble tiling

• 25-08-2010 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

How much is it to tile 13 squared metres of marble tiles? If extra cuts are needed, will that cost extra?

The floor that hold that tiles is not 100% even, should we make it 100% even before we tile or is this necessary?

New to house decorating and furnishing, all help welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is one of those jobs that really needs to be seen. The floor sounds like it needs leveling

bear in mind the tile will need to be sealed.

If you want the number of a tiler let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gra10

we got 3 tilers to have a look, 2 said the floor would need to be levelled and one said that it is 'tileable', which i was a little unsure about.

We've been quoted from 450 to 650 for it, which i think is a big difference.

Gra10 wrote: »
    we got 3 tilers to have a look, 2 said the floor would need to be levelled and one said that it is 'tileable', which i was a little unsure about.

We've been quoted from 450 to 650 for it, which i think is a big difference.

I would be inclined to go with the 2...that said it needs to be leaveled...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gra10

cheers, thats what i was thinking too. I heard you pour the leveling stuff on the floor and leave it over night, would it be worth it doing it yourself or just get the tiler to do it?

Gra10 wrote: »
    cheers, thats what i was thinking too. I heard you pour the leveling stuff on the floor and leave it over night, would it be worth it doing it yourself or just get the tiler to do it?

Get the tiler to do it. You can do it wrong and its extreamly messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Defo get tiler to level floor because this most important aspect of the job. Also if the correct primer is not applied to floor this will cause you big hassle with marble cracking in the future.

Defo get tiler to level floor because this most important aspect of the job. Also if the correct primer is not applied to floor this will cause you big hassle with marble cracking in the future.

No thats slightly askew. If the correct adhesive is not used the marble will crack. If the correct primer is not used it would be stupid and crazy of a professional tiler to apply it as the adhesive wont bond to it. The tiles will actually then just come away from the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I spent a few days cutting marble for a pro tiller this week. He beds them up and it take an experienced hand to keep them on the money. As well as a wet saw.

You may make a bollocks of it if you try it yourself . Supply the compound (if cheaper ) and get him to do it the way he wants it left.
    My lad insists in using the correct type of leveling compound for tiles. He will not go near a floor with the normal cheap stuff you get from the building providers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

No thats slightly askew. If the correct adhesive is not used the marble will crack. If the correct primer is not used it would be stupid and crazy of a professional tiler to apply it as the adhesive wont bond to it. The tiles will actually then just come away from the floor.

The adhesive would bond to it, but I said before if wrong primer is put down then the marble will crack as the levelling compound will be crumbling and coming away from the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

What sort of primer should be used? Is PVA ok?

• Advertisement

What sort of primer should be used? Is PVA ok?

It works fine on walls but is too sticky for floors. It will actually have the effect of trapping dirt under the adhesive which is not good.

The best job really is tile primer. PVA should only be used to seal floors where wooden floors will be put.

Advertisement