Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you know if a primary school is 'good'?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

HI there.
    My son is just 9 months old and I am shocked at how manny people have asked me where he will be going to school and if I had his name put down for any schools. I am at a loss at how to go about this whole thing. down the country where I am originally from its much easier, every child goes to the local parish school and thats it. dublin seems much more difficult. I live in Blanchardstown, but will move house if necessary if schools in the area are not great.

I have a few questions.

How do you know if a school is good or not?
    when do you need to put your childs name down for a school?
    Gael scoils seem to be getting good press, why?
    How do you know a school's catchment area? and what happens if you want to go to school outside of your catchment area?
    Does anyone know about schools in Blanchardstown / Mulhuddurt or Dunboyne?

Thanks a mil.
    Really appreciate any guidance / advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Firstly I would find out what the enrolement policy is in each school and put his name down in anywhere you think you may be interested.

How do you know if a school is good or not?
    It depends on how you define "good", do you mean good academic results, schools that take a more holistic view of the child's education.

when do you need to put your childs name down for a school?See above, asap, I'd suggest.

Gael scoils seem to be getting good press, why?
    I work in a Gaelscoil so am biased,but I would say as a general answer:Staff that choose to take on the extra work that teaching through Irish entails are very commited to the school,parents make the choice to send their children to the school, not just because it's the nearest and handiest and tend to get involved in the school community.

How do you know a school's catchment area? and what happens if you want to go to school outside of your catchment area?It depends on the school again, might be the Catholic parish or else a postcode, you'd have to check with the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

1. Asking people. However you'll have to ask them why they like the school. Some people love ETs because they're multicultural and holistic and stuff, other people wouldn't like them because half the class won't speak English (through no fault of their own, but it makes the teachers job awful hard) and the discipline isn't great. They also seem to end up behind on Irish sometimes.

2. Asap. Schools in Dublin fill up so fast, some people have their kids on waiting lists for secondary school by like 1st class.

3. The parents are obviously interested in their kids education if they want them to be really good at Irish, so you don't have kids whose parents don't really give a damn. I know a few people from gaelscoils (including the blanch one) and they seem really good. It gives you a big headstart for secondary school, but I think the secondary gaelscoils are a disadvantage, especially for science when you have to go relearn everything in English for college.

4. I don't know how you know what the catchment is (sometimes its parishes), but if you're not in the catchment its much harder to get in.

5. As I've said, I only know of the gaelscoil in Clonsilla and it seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Well I live in Mulhuddart and my son goes to Tyrrelstown educate together school which I think it a very good school.
    I know kids who go to Mulhuddart National school and it seems like a lovely school too.
    Actually most of the schools in Dublin 15 are very good. Demand is high and most schools have strict enrolment policies. If you're willing to move for the school you want then you should ask around, visit the schools and see which one you like best then check the catchment area and move into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I would just like to add one little addition to the good advice given by Byhookorbycrook. When S/he mentioned about the possiblity of registering in several schools, if/when you have been offered a place in a school you are happy with, be sure to notify the other schools, as soon as possible. Unfortunately, the process of multiple applications, with some parents holding places in several schools until the last minute, is causing absolute chaos for some schools.

Just thought it was worth mentioning. Best of luck and well done on the excellent questions you asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Interesting subject, I am in the same boat as I live in Dublin 15 but I am outside the ctachment area for the school which is just down the road. A good resource I have found is www.schooldays.ie, you can get a list of schools in your area and starting ringing around. Good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement