Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College cooking!

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Ok so I'm starting college this year and I was looking for some dinner suggestions. I love cooking although I don't cook often but when I do I really enjoy it. I live with my dad who is so traditional with bacon and cabbage etc :) but I like pasta etc hence why I can't wait to be able to cook for myself :D I'd like advice on easy recipes that result in good tasty and healthy food. I don't want the typical college pot noodle, take away life. I was reared to buy good quality food. I guess food like lasagne etc would be good as it can be frozen for a while etc. Anyway all advice will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. You may find the recipes in the Cooking Club forum of interest.

There also the Easy Peasy Recipes thread too.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hey niamh, as Hillbilly suggested have a look at the cooking club for some good ideas. Next time your near a book shop have a look for this book
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Student-Cookbook-Cookery/dp/0600609650/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282929357&sr=1-1

its great for basic stuff and there are a few more complecated reciepes too, i have it and have used it alot, www.allreciepes.co.uk is good for new ideas too

lidl and aldi are great for the basics and there veg is top quality. I do most of the cooking at home and alot of mine and mum's fav meals are stuff that started off as a recipe in a book and then got messed around with

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fitzwhizz

Niamh, could I suggest that as you will be having a busy and brilliant time at College, I hope, that when you spend time cooking something that you get double value out of it. Your Dad sounds like he just likes a square meal and that's fine but a poached free range chicken can give you dinner on the night, sandwiches for you for college, soup from the stock and a stir fry chicken/veg dinner with pasta. Also as he loves his bacon and cabbage there is great value in the big supermarkets for a slightly larger joint than you need on the night - go for it - think Quiche, Omelette, your sandwiches etc. I would love to be standing beside you to make you think of the bigger picture when you are shopping. Nobody wants to cook every night. Everybody wants something tasty to eat. It's so up to you to think before you shop. That would be my best thoughts for you.

Kind regards J
    niamhocxox wrote: »
    Ok so I'm starting college this year and I was looking for some dinner suggestions. I love cooking although I don't cook often but when I do I really enjoy it. I live with my dad who is so traditional with bacon and cabbage etc :) but I like pasta etc hence why I can't wait to be able to cook for myself :D I'd like advice on easy recipes that result in good tasty and healthy food. I don't want the typical college pot noodle, take away life. I was reared to buy good quality food. I guess food like lasagne etc would be good as it can be frozen for a while etc. Anyway all advice will be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fitzwhizz

probably should have said - Large casserole - Pull the extra bits of fat off the preferrably Free Range chicken (non Free Range will not give you decent jellied stock) Place chicken in casserole with an onion quartered, a carrot and a bit of celery, parsely stalk and some thyme. Almost cover with water (dash of white wine if there) and put into 180 degree oven for about one and a quarter hours. Turn off oven and let it cool. Use the stock as base for gravy or a fancy sauce. Chill the rest and make soup within three days. Excellent moist chicken breast for salads/sandwiches after one decent hot chicken dinner. I think it is better value than roasting.
    fitzwhizz wrote: »
    Niamh, could I suggest that as you will be having a busy and brilliant time at College, I hope, that when you spend time cooking something that you get double value out of it. Your Dad sounds like he just likes a square meal and that's fine but a poached free range chicken can give you dinner on the night, sandwiches for you for college, soup from the stock and a stir fry chicken/veg dinner with pasta. Also as he loves his bacon and cabbage there is great value in the big supermarkets for a slightly larger joint than you need on the night - go for it - think Quiche, Omelette, your sandwiches etc. I would love to be standing beside you to make you think of the bigger picture when you are shopping. Nobody wants to cook every night. Everybody wants something tasty to eat. It's so up to you to think before you shop. That would be my best thoughts for you.

Kind regards J

Advertisement