Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance say they cant change my reference

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Heres my situation:

I'm with Insure.ie and you pay your insurance over 6 monthly payments, i get paid my wages into Neteller and if i want to transfer to AIB it takes 3-4 working days so since Neteller have a debit card you can link to the account and i can use this to withdraw or buy thing directly. Not really relevant but basically i rarely use my bank account and so i missed my last 3 direct debits for the insurance and just paid it directly by ringing them up and giving them my direct debit card.

Anywho, after 3 missed debits in a row they cancel the direct debit, forward on 6 months later, i renewed my policy with insure.ie and had to give them my bank account details again. They contacted my saying AIB wont accept the direct debit because it has the same reference number. They say they cant change the policy number because if they do i will have to setup a new account and start from scratch so it will likely cost me a lot of money.

I ring AIB and they say they cant accept a refused direct debit with the same reference that insure.ie will need to change it. You could argue that it should be a simple thing to change on either end but obviously they either dont want to go to the bother or their computer systems are limited and unable to change this information.

So im stuck in the middle, would i really lose my bonuses etc that i gained with insure.ie, its the cheapest quote i could get but to further complicate things my new policy started on the 20th and i already paid them the deposit so its not as simple as changing insurance provider since ill also have to pay higher insure rates elsewhere.

The other option is to change bank and although thats probably not a big deal its a pain to have to do that and have money transferred to 2 different banks to cover direct debits. Whats my options, are both companys trying to bluff eachother and if i say to insure.ie just to cancel my account or to bank of ireland to cancel my account will they then give in, should i just tell insure.ie to sort it out with the bank and not worry about it, i can always pay via debit card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pension

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it seems to me to be more an admin thing than anything else. i don't see why they can't setup a new policy with the same t+c and add a note to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Yeah i agree im just going to tell them give me a new policy with the same deal or else cancel it and ill go somewhere else. Ive paid the deposit but i didn't return any signed forms yet but your right the common sense thing is create a new policy and link a note to the old one and i guess this probably is an admin nightmare for whoever has to do it so there trying to bluff me into saying it will cost me a lot of money to change to a new policy.

I dont know a whole about insurance policies but why would i need to pay extra if i setup a new account, didn't realise the fact that im a previous customer saves me money

Advertisement