Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkie bit my young daughter. what now?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

the separating would hopefully be only temporary 'til he learns better behaviour. It's just not going to be possible to supervise them both at all times. i don't have a problem with my daughter and her mam taking the dog for a walk for example.

Yeah thats not a bad idea, he is still a pup and the excitement will get a little less as he gets older,it may seem like it will last forever but it changes quickly. It sounds like emotions are running a little high in the house (and with your fears) its no harm temporarily separating them until everyone gets a bit of confidence back.

I would imagine that your daughter has learned a lesson here,she will not doubt be a little more apprehensive when approaching him from now on. But its all about education and control,both of which you'll get from the trainers. It'll help with everyones confidence when dealing with the little guy and it'll help him in himself too.

My experience is that dogs want to be good, they just need to learn what exactly that is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

the separating would hopefully be only temporary 'til he learns better behaviour. It's just not going to be possible to supervise them both at all times. i don't have a problem with my daughter and her mam taking the dog for a walk for example.

to be honest he wont learn better behaviour seperated... its a fact... how will he learn if he's not around your child...

its not just your puppy thats has to learn the rules, so does your daughter, he nor she will learn seperated. :D

seperation is not the answer, its takes months for puppies to learn, therefore the seperation wont be termporary, and a dog is a pack animal, its not fair to leave him outside etc.

you have been given lots of good advice for training both of them etc, if your not prepared to invest the time, with both of them, then it wont get any better.

if your not prepared to train both of them then theres no point, you may be better oof re-homing him..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I agree, training your dog, wife and daughter is a must. Dog Training Ireland encourage the whole family to attend training classes.
    Also have you tried crate training your dog, giving him somewhere to retreat to when you daughter gets too much, if he has somewhere where he feels safe to escape to he might feel less like nipping as his only response option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

sionnaic wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother with the dog whisperer - his methods are held by most decent modern dog trainers to be completely outdated and unnecessarily harsh. He's a fan of the "flooding" technique to make a dog get over his fears - basically forcing the dog into the situation that terrifies them most until the dog is overwhelmed and shuts down so it appears to behave itself. Check out the "quotes from experts" section at the bottom of this page here: http://www.urbandawgs.com/divided_profession.html
    Anyway I digress - but basically it's a short term solution that causes long term problems. Check out Ian Dunbar instead - much much better - one of his books on puppy training is even available for free as a pdf:
    http://www.dogstardaily.com/files/AFTER%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf

Are you joking :confused:
    Obviously you dont take into account how much he actually cares about them dogs and the people who have the dogs.
    Experts who will put a dog down for a bite or aggressive behaviour but he will rehabilitate the dog and save it.Right going to listen to what they say.
    I remember watching a program in one of the dog pound in England,their test with so called experts was if the dog walked past and didnt show hyper activity to the other dog,it was saved.If not it was put down.:( No training just gone.
    So lets see who has better methods a man who has over fifty dogs at a time and can control everyone of them also has rehabilitated dogs who wouldnt let anyone near them,or someone who would recommend a dog put down first instant.:rolleyes:
    Experts lol.
    I grew up with over fifty dogs at one time and all of his methods are correct.

@ Op its a good idea training wise,and just dont allow the puppy alone with your daughter.While i am not trying to tell you what to do.If the pup jumps make a loud sound or tap on side to correct,and dont let it get hyper at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Few things to add OP

1. What brand of food are you feeding the pup, this can have an effect on its temprament, too rich a diet = too hyper

2. As already said - never leave a child unsupervised with a dog

3. As someone else said you wern't in the room at the time it sounds more like a scratch than a bite, have a look at the puppy's claws and possibly take it to a dog groomer to have its claws properly trimmed (very hard to do your self - I tried with my Westie and ended up with sharper edges than before I started)

4. Teach both child and pup that out in the garden is for playing (supervised) in the house is calm down time.

5. Prevent the puppy getting hyper - first remove the cause of the hyperactivity if this doesn't work, ignore the dog, put it behind the nearest closed door, if this doesn't work - its into the crate for a time out. Always follow this order.

6. Teach the child how to interact safely with the pup, make her aware of whats allowed and what isn't eg. she can throw things for it to fetch but tug of war to get the thing back is not allowed. Running around etc is definately out.

As already suggested - training classes involving the whole family will help. Make sure you don't allow the pup to jump up on adults or let it mouth you, the pup will get confused if there are different rules for different people. I have a 4 month Westie in a house with 4 kids under 5 and its working out great, they are known not to get on great with small kids and had issues at the beginning with the 1 yr old spending a lot of time on the floor and the puppy trying to play with him and steal his dummy. No problems now just from consistantly telling her to get off and removing her any time she jumped up at him she has learned its unacceptable. The worst of the kids was the almost 4 yr old who wants to pick her up all the time, the puppy is extremely tolerant of this and found one of the best ways was picking the child up for longer than shes comfortable with and she slowly got the message. Also be careful of how you interact with the dog yourself, don't let her see you do anything with the puppy you don't want her to do as kids that age tend to do as you do rather than as you say :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

caseyann wrote: »
    Are you joking :confused:
    Obviously you dont take into account how much he actually cares about them dogs and the people who have the dogs.
    Experts who will put a dog down for a bite or aggressive behaviour but he will rehabilitate the dog and save it.Right going to listen to what they say.
    I remember watching a program in one of the dog pound in England,their test with so called experts was if the dog walked past and didnt show hyper activity to the other dog,it was saved.If not it was put down.:( No training just gone.
    So lets see who has better methods a man who has over fifty dogs at a time and can control everyone of them also has rehabilitated dogs who wouldnt let anyone near them,or someone who would recommend a dog put down first instant.:rolleyes:
    Experts lol.
    I grew up with over fifty dogs at one time and all of his methods are correct.

@ Op its a good idea training wise,and just dont allow the puppy alone with your daughter.While i am not trying to tell you what to do.If the pup jumps make a loud sound or tap on side to correct,and dont let it get hyper at all.

Yes I am quite serious - I don't believe in terrifying an animal into submission. While I'd say his intentions are probably good (and not at all motivated by his lucrative TV/book/DVD/tour deals :rolleyes:), the way he jumps in all guns blazing and carries out dangerous flashy techniques and then swoops out again leaving the family and dog to cope without the necessary skills is still irresponsible (ever see the "don't try this at home" labels??).
    His techniques are outdated and based on an incorrect understanding of how a wolf pack hierarchy works. Never mind that dogs have been domesticated and selectively bred by humans into a different species for thousands and thousands of years. This mode of dog training came into vogue after biologists in the 30s or 40s observed and documented a "pack" of wolves in captivity. These observations are now proven to be skewed because the pack of wolves in captivity was artifically created by shoving a load of random wolves into an enclosure and calling it a pack. This is where the whole "dominance" theory arose. In the last 50 years a better understanding of wolf packs has been achieved from observing them naturally in the wild, and it's been found that a wolf pack is actually a family unit, with 2 parental figures at the head. The "alpha" does not need to enforce dominance in the way the artificial environment forced him to do - no forced "alpha rolls" to prove he's boss, instead pack members will voluntarily roll over with no force or intimidation.
    Anyway there's loads of articles and literature on this topic and, discussions on the force & intimidation based "dominance" methods vs the reward & positive training methods, on the web. All I'd say is don't get sucked in by the flashy tv program without doing some research first. The rule of thumb I go by is what would you do if it was a child and not a dog? And I don't think I'd use a choke chain on a child....
    And I'm sorry but FIFTY dogs?? It's hardly a typical situation. How do 50 dogs get enough individual attention from their human family? It doesn't sound like a very nice set up.
    Your dog or dogs should be considered part of your family and treated as such, they're essentially child-like and that's how you treat them. If not then what's the point and why on earth would you bother getting a dog? He/she is not a brainless, feeling-less teddy bear to be used and abused at your convenience.
    Apologies for the long post.

Yes I am quite serious - I don't believe in terrifying an animal into submission. While I'd say his intentions are probably good (and not at all motivated by his lucrative TV/book/DVD/tour deals :rolleyes:), the way he jumps in all guns blazing and carries out dangerous flashy techniques and then swoops out again leaving the family and dog to cope without the necessary skills is still irresponsible (ever see the "don't try this at home" labels??).
    His techniques are outdated and based on an incorrect understanding of how a wolf pack hierarchy works. Never mind that dogs have been domesticated and selectively bred by humans into a different species for thousands and thousands of years. This mode of dog training came into vogue after biologists in the 30s or 40s observed and documented a "pack" of wolves in captivity. These observations are now proven to be skewed because the pack of wolves in captivity was artifically created by shoving a load of random wolves into an enclosure and calling it a pack. This is where the whole "dominance" theory arose. In the last 50 years a better understanding of wolf packs has been achieved from observing them naturally in the wild, and it's been found that a wolf pack is actually a family unit, with 2 parental figures at the head. The "alpha" does not need to enforce dominance in the way the artificial environment forced him to do - no forced "alpha rolls" to prove he's boss, instead pack members will voluntarily roll over with no force or intimidation.
    Anyway there's loads of articles and literature on this topic and, discussions on the force & intimidation based "dominance" methods vs the reward & positive training methods, on the web. All I'd say is don't get sucked in by the flashy tv program without doing some research first. The rule of thumb I go by is what would you do if it was a child and not a dog? And I don't think I'd use a choke chain on a child....
    And I'm sorry but FIFTY dogs?? It's hardly a typical situation. How do 50 dogs get enough individual attention from their human family? It doesn't sound like a very nice set up.
    Your dog or dogs should be considered part of your family and treated as such, they're essentially child-like and that's how you treat them. If not then what's the point and why on earth would you bother getting a dog? He/she is not a brainless, feeling-less teddy bear to be used and abused at your convenience.
    Apologies for the long post.

I am sorry to say you have no clue about dogs at all.Dogs are animals and not human.He doesnt ever say a dog is not considered apart of the family.He teaches when affection should be given and when not.Scaring the dog he does not do in slighest.He is very gentle and he gives the dog time to relax and introduces the dog slowly to what his fears are.
    Like a human who has phobias.But dogs dont live in the past like humans and they move forward and forget when they have overcome that fear.
    He is not aggressive he does not hurt them dogs at all.They are not children and do not understand speaking they understand tone.They understand energy he is right.
    I grew up with 50 dogs and we could treat them like family but we had the boundaries.
    It doesnt get outdated because some trainer is saying it is outdated,animals dont change instincts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSSHMff4y6Q&feature=related

He runs them and walks them all everyday and has people who help.He has saved how many dogs.Where as trainers will put them down.
    Doesnt sound like a very nice place for a human ;)

Shell shocked Labrador
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myAhcWEv56Y&feature=related

They agree with him are merely concerned for the owners if they cant handle the dogs.No one is telling the op to take control of the situation by themselves,or to do exactly what Ceaser milan does.But to watch and get a few ideas for the puppy when it jumps up or snaps at the baby.
    He isnt dealing with a vicious dog he is dealing with a puppy.baby the puppy it will get worse and have no respect for anyone in that house.

While many dog training experts are able to find positive aspects to Cesar Millan's training methods, many have serious concerns about other parts of his training philosophy. In particular, many veterinary behavioral experts as well as many professional dog trainers are concerned about Cesar Millan's use of dominance theory and his confrontational training methods. In fact, many of these experts have concerns that some of these techniques may create dogs which become aggressive (or more aggressive) and place dog owners in physical danger.
    http://www.examiner.com/pet-health-in-national/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer-or-danger

^^^^ Its not been proven they are right.

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer/default.aspx

@ OP When getting a new pet, make sure to set aside time every day to provide mental exercise by maintaining rules, boundaries and limitations. When these needs are met the affection you give to your dog will be channeled as a reward.

Create a schedule that includes a daily 45-minute power-walk in the morning. This is critical for your dog's health, both physical and mental.

Enlist your whole family in the process of bringing a new dog home. Discuss what their responsibilities will be before the puppy arrives.
    More in the link above to give ideas until you can get the puppy to a trainer :)

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer/article_puppy.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

anger management classes

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

caseyann wrote: »
    I am sorry to say you have no clue about dogs at all.Dogs are animals and not human.He doesnt ever say a dog is not considered apart of the family.He teaches when affection should be given and when not.Scaring the dog he does not do in slighest.He is very gentle and he gives the dog time to relax and introduces the dog slowly to what his fears are.
    Like a human who has phobias.But dogs dont live in the past like humans and they move forward and forget when they have overcome that fear.
    He is not aggressive he does not hurt them dogs at all.They are not children and do not understand speaking they understand tone.They understand energy he is right.
    I grew up with 50 dogs and we could treat them like family but we had the boundaries.
    It doesnt get outdated because some trainer is saying it is outdated,animals dont change instincts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSSHMff4y6Q&feature=related

He runs them and walks them all everyday and has people who help.He has saved how many dogs.Where as trainers will put them down.
    Doesnt sound like a very nice place for a human ;)

Shell shocked Labrador
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myAhcWEv56Y&feature=related

They agree with him are merely concerned for the owners if they cant handle the dogs.No one is telling the op to take control of the situation by themselves,or to do exactly what Ceaser milan does.But to watch and get a few ideas for the puppy when it jumps up or snaps at the baby.
    He isnt dealing with a vicious dog he is dealing with a puppy.baby the puppy it will get worse and have no respect for anyone in that house.

While many dog training experts are able to find positive aspects to Cesar Millan's training methods, many have serious concerns about other parts of his training philosophy. In particular, many veterinary behavioral experts as well as many professional dog trainers are concerned about Cesar Millan's use of dominance theory and his confrontational training methods. In fact, many of these experts have concerns that some of these techniques may create dogs which become aggressive (or more aggressive) and place dog owners in physical danger.
    http://www.examiner.com/pet-health-in-national/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer-or-danger

^^^^ Its not been proven they are right.

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer/default.aspx

@ OP When getting a new pet, make sure to set aside time every day to provide mental exercise by maintaining rules, boundaries and limitations. When these needs are met the affection you give to your dog will be channeled as a reward.

Create a schedule that includes a daily 45-minute power-walk in the morning. This is critical for your dog's health, both physical and mental.

Enlist your whole family in the process of bringing a new dog home. Discuss what their responsibilities will be before the puppy arrives.
    More in the link above to give ideas until you can get the puppy to a trainer :)

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/cesar-millan-dog-whisperer/article_puppy.aspx

Oh look I'm not getting into a name calling match but I'd just like to say that you know nothing about me or my dogs so who are you to comment that I know nothing about them?

And as to setting boundaries, rules and limitations - of course this is correct! Again it's the same as you should be doing for a child. And no I'm not saying dogs are children obviously they are not and the same rules, boundaries and limitations do not apply to both children and dogs. However I think the same attitude applies - at least that's how I approach it. Kindness and patience and affection while not letting them run amuck. Anyway it seems we'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole Caesar thing - I don't agree with his methods whereas you obviously do.

The only other thing is - do not walk a 6 month old puppy for 45 minutes (especially not a "power walk"). It's too much and can damage joints and skeletal development. The rule is to walk a puppy 5 minutes for every month. For a 6 month old that's 30 minutes in total per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

T-Square wrote: »
    Factually, the cats'n'dogs home are always very appreciative of donations.
    Shows what you know!

Of course they're appreciative (and indeed mostly desperate) for donations but by giving them a dog to care for, along with the donation, you're effectively cancelling out the donation. You see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Have you thought about doggie day care?Pups need someone home most of the time.Hope it works out for ye x

Oh look I'm not getting into a name calling match but I'd just like to say that you know nothing about me or my dogs so who are you to comment that I know nothing about them?

And as to setting boundaries, rules and limitations - of course this is correct! Again it's the same as you should be doing for a child. And no I'm not saying dogs are children obviously they are not and the same rules, boundaries and limitations do not apply to both children and dogs. However I think the same attitude applies - at least that's how I approach it. Kindness and patience and affection while not letting them run amuck. Anyway it seems we'll just have to agree to disagree on the whole Caesar thing - I don't agree with his methods whereas you obviously do.

The only other thing is - do not walk a 6 month old puppy for 45 minutes (especially not a "power walk"). It's too much and can damage joints and skeletal development. The rule is to walk a puppy 5 minutes for every month. For a 6 month old that's 30 minutes in total per day.

I wasnt getting into name calling.
    But everything you agree with he uses.

Advertisement