Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pianos in UCD

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

I'm wondering does anyone know are there pianos around UCD that you would be able to practice/play on? I'm going to miss my piano next year.... :( Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gracenotes

The School of Music (3rd floor of block J, next to Theatre L) usually posts sign-up sheets for the use of the piano rooms at the start of each semester. You can choose any time that the rooms aren't in use by the school and that time will be yours each week for the whole semester!

I think the only requirement is that you're either a music student or currently studying with a piano teacher but to be honest, they don't really seem to check up on those details and as long as you're not messing about on the piano then nobody minds!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a small Grand piano in the Richview Memorial Hall, which gets used for e.g. rehearsals for musicals. I think I saw an upright in one of the rooms in the main building there too.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

SO yeh there is piano rooms in the School of Music, and they do have sign up sheets on each door. But priority tends to go to music students, and if you are not playing real classical style music, you will more than likely be asked to reconsider your practice slot. some of the lecturers up there dont take kindly to regular music being played up there.

id advise you to get up there fairly early in the semester though if you want to get a decent slot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 RIP-sanity

I've been away on erasmus for a year so things may have changed (but I doubt it) the last slot on the sign up sheet is for 8pm and the arts block doesn't close until half 10. There are 2 uprights (one is usually locked after hours) and a grand. The place is usually fairly deserted. I used to go in and practice for an hour almost every night and nobody ever bothered me, but that said I was playing classical music 99 percent of the time. I often went in around 6pm when music lectures usually finish, a lot of people don't actually use their practice time regularly and the worst that'll happen is that someone comes in and says "Sorry this is my practice slot."

The upright in richview is horribly out of tune, it's just beside o'briens. The one for concerts and stuff you can't use (it's beautiful grand and I have tried)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Thank's for the input guys. I trained classically, however as of late i am playing contemporary pieces mostly, i hope i will be able to practice next year. I think my interpretation's sound somewhat classical, because of my classical background. I'l be gutted if i won't be allowed :( If not... i suppose i will have to resort to playing classical solely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

All this talk of classical piano has tempted me to go up and hang around at night...

Advertisement