Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compiling a complete list of arcades and arcade games that ever existed in Portlaoise

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am trying to remember all the arcades and games that ever existed in the town in the 80s. i am compiling it for my mame 32 emulator on my laptop. when i was a kid i grew up in arcades and was a bit of a wizard thinking i was so hard smoking fags at 10 playing ghost n goblins :cool:!!! anyway i ll get the ball rolling and hopefully some of ye can fill in the blanks.
    starting with Stapos, i ll leave the other arcardes' to one of ye or a later post
    ok memory is sketchy so here it goes:
    Stapos (Browns)

starforce
    kung fu master
    bubble bubble
    ghost n goblins
    jailbreak
    xevious
    gorf
    flashgal
    commando
    choplifter
    airwolf
    gunsmoke
    pacland
    track n field
    ninja kid 1 or 2
    super hang on
    yie her kung fu
    rygar
    green beret
    scramble??
    wonderboy
    wonderboy in monsterland
    xeina sheeva (not right spelling, close though)
    tiger road
    sky kid
    operation wolf (i think?)
    akari
    bionic commando ( this could be wrong but it rings a bell)
    shoot em up cant remeber name, it had ship flying left to right and everytime you get a power up you had options at botton of screen
    speed / laser / missiles / etc...

later in stapos when it became a snooker hall

tetris
    bombjack
    pang
    street figher
    street fighter 2
    88 seoul games
    black tiger (again)
    bubbles bubble

as you can see mis spent childhood i had but it kept me from robbin HWilliams, well some of the time :)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

robbie02 wrote: »
    shoot em up cant remeber name, it had ship flying left to right and everytime you get a power up you had options at botton of screen
    speed / laser / missiles / etc...

any chance it was R-Type?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

no but yer on the right track it was a bit older than r type but fairly similar not much to go on i admit, there is a million games like it! there was lads that were wizards on it so maybe someone can remember

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Wow, some great games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 x_jaw

Hey Guys, that sounds very like R-type alright, i have nearly all those roms and loads more from the early 80's such as mat mania right up to late 90s ...

Great for the rainy days and for bringing back those fond memories....

R Type Leo was class alright. I love having Mame and a load of roms on my laptop, these games were great, even better than modern video games in some respects, obviously the graphics were limited (but still cool) and it made the developers put the maximum effort in creating great playability. some of the games were fiendishly hard though to make sure they got your 10ps' :) i am trying to master ghost n goblins, what a hard game!!

I also found that if you have 1000s of roms, you end up with too much choice and switching between games too much so i just deleted all my roms! and downloaded the ones i want. the neo geo n gage emulator is very good too, cant get it to play on full screen on my laptop, as some older pc games like oddworld, just wont play full screen, so frustating i think its to do with drivers but i am not that much of a techie, if anyone knows how to fix that problem please let me know

• Advertisement

yeah! i got the pc games playing full screen after hours of figuring out bout drivers etc it was such a simple problem i could have kicked myself, all i needed to do was right click on the desktop and select panel / fit to full screen now i just need to get a better joypad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

thats the one good man!

Advertisement