Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Climbing

Options
  • 25-08-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

I had a search through the forum couldn't find what I was looking for...

I really wana join rock climbing in UCD and was thinking about doing one of the beginners courses but was curious about needing a climbing partner? I don't know anyone that would want to join and I can imagine that would be a problem not having a belayer around :P

Do many people join up solo?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you're joining a club you'll have no bother finding a climbing partner. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 paulbohs

They have a bouldering wall in UCD that you could use without a belayer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If memory serves the bouldering wall is quite stiff for a beginner. Join up, do the course and see if any of the participants want to climb with you. You could also join the Irish Mountaineering Club, shouldn't have a problem finding a partner then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

Evil Phil wrote: »
    If memory serves the bouldering wall is quite stiff for a beginner. Join up, do the course and see if any of the participants want to climb with you. You could also join the Irish Mountaineering Club, shouldn't have a problem finding a partner then.

I did one of the beginner courses earlier and absolutely loved it, particularly the boldering wall, wasn't able to get very far but made for a great challenge, gonna try it again soon! I'll probably join the IMC too, I think I'm hooked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

IMC meet @ Ballykeefe on Sunday 5th...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭clueless007

Zangetsu, you don't need a climbing partner for the beginner course. The instructor will team you up with someone in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Zangetsu wrote: »
    I had a search through the forum couldn't find what I was looking for...

I really wana join rock climbing in UCD and was thinking about doing one of the beginners courses but was curious about needing a climbing partner? I don't know anyone that would want to join and I can imagine that would be a problem not having a belayer around :P

Do many people join up solo?

I went rock climbing with a group to Dalkey Quarry a few weeks ago. It was a great day. Might be worth googling Dalkey and rock climbing for the group which organises it. I think they were www.adventure.ie but I'm not sure.

PS: Loads of people join UCD rock climbing on their own; I'd imagine most people do.

Dalkey looks to be quite expensive though I would probably be interested further down the line. I've been bouldering at the UCD wall which is great craic. Haven't gotten very far yet but for each hold I go further, the drive builds to get the next one :)

How much do the IMC meets cost to join in? Sounds like it could be a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Hey, slightly off topic but what's the story with getting a pass to use the wall in UCD, can you just turn up and get tested there and then or do you have to book in advance?
    Was hoping to head out tomorrow evening to climb with some mates but don't want to get turned away, have the experience so figure it should be easy enough.

I was talking to them earlier, its closed from tomorrow till sunday. Think they're re-routing the walls.

As for getting a test you have to show up when theres an instructor there (usually monday-friday 6-close) but best ring ahead to be sure there's someone there.

Thats what I've been told anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Cheers for that was gonna head out this evening. I was onto Trinity last week and still waiting to hear when they have the next test planned for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Hi, sorry for pulling up old thread! I'm interested in trying out rock climbing, would people recommend this course, is it useful? http://www.adventure.ie/beginners-climbing.html

I've never done anything like this before at all, so hope I'd be able to keep up!
    Also, does anyone know how often they run these courses, I'm not sure if I can make the one in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I've never done a beginner's rock climbing course like the one mentioned in your link. But the fact it takes place in Dalkey suggests it would be something quite different to the type of climbing course that the original poster referred to.

What you referenced takes place in Dalkey quarry, which is an outdoor climbing venue. This means the tuition will take place in the outdoors, on real rock.

You will also find beginner climbing courses on indoor climbing walls in the likes of TCD and UCD. Here you will be taught all the basics of tying-in and belaying, but in a more controlled indoor environment on an artificial climbing wall. Indoor climbing is a very popular pursuit, and almost all climbers will frequent the indoor climbing wall for fun and keep up fitness, but its quite different from climbing outside. The good news about indoor climbing, is that it requires a minimal amount of equipment. To climb at an indoor wall, typically all you will need are a climbing harness and shoes (optional).

I learned to climb on an indoor wall, and was climbing indoors for about two months before a friend brought me climbing outdoors, and I began to learn about lead climbing outdoors with outdoor rock climbing protection and equipment. I would imagine that for a lot of climbers who have only ever climbed on an indoor wall, the transition to being self sufficient and capable of leading climbs in the outdoors is difficult and requires an a lot of investment in equipment, (e.g. equipment like ropes, slings, nuts, cams etc.).

If you have aspirations for adventure and to climb in the Irish mountains or indeed in the Alps, then I would definitely recommend doing the outdoor climbing course in Dalkey. It would probably be more expensive, but you are more likely to get exposure to outdoor climbing equipment and technique. You will be able to see what your guide does to set up anchors and protect your climbs for example, and as you learn more, you may be able to schedule more sessions with your instructor to learn more advanced outdoor climbing technique.

If however, you just want to climb for sport, and as a means of keeping fit in the gym, and don't have any particular aspirations to climb in the alps and immerse yourself further in the adventurous world of climbing, then the indoor climbing course (which I presume is cheaper), is the way to go.

To answer the other question. I've no idea if this particular company runs more courses than the one in January, but there will definitely be other companies and instructors that do.

In my opinion, January can be a miserable time to climb outdoors anyway, and this winter has been particularly cold (in fact I've had the chance to go ice climbing this winter in lieu of rock climbing). The usual climbing "season", when you see most people out rock climbing in Dalkey quarry, is in the summer, from about April/May onwards.

However, I did my own apprenticeship in outdoor climbing during the winter, and it meant I had learned enough during the winter to be self sufficient and climb outdoors by myself and make most of the Summer when the season arrived.

For more info on climbing in Ireland and instructors and courses, check out the "Training Courses & Instructors" forum on www.climbing.ie

also take a look at www.mountaineering.ie

you could also join a mountaineering club like the IMC.

http://irishmountaineeringclub.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 paulbohs

I think its irresponsible to run an outdoor rock climbing course before the start of april in our climate. Its 4 degrees today and the rock will be a good bit colder.

I'm sure the course is good. I did a similar course provided by http://www.mountaintraining.ie/ and i'm still climbing 2-3 years later. Have fun. I agree with the above poster, check the mci website for approved trainers and their qualifications. They are all pretty much the same price anyway.

Sev wrote: »
    However, I did my own apprenticeship in outdoor climbing during the winter, and it meant I had learned enough during the winter to be self sufficient and climb outdoors by myself and make most of the Summer when the season arrived.

Oh yeah, when I said self-sufficient and being able to climb by myself, I didn't mean climbing solo! Climbing is nearly always a partnership or team activity. You need somebody else to belay you when you're climbing. For this reason if you're getting into the sport, its helpful to have a friend to climb with who is progressing at your level. This is why joining a club can be a very good idea, you'll find people to climb with and you will learn through mentorship by climbing with people who are more experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Adventure.ie: Ronan

Always good to see some discussion on our courses.

However, we take exception to the following:
    paulbohs wrote: »
    I think its irresponsible to run an outdoor rock climbing course before the start of april in our climate. Its 4 degrees today and the rock will be a good bit colder.

To say we are 'irresponsible' is to imply that we are putting our clients at risk. The Adventure Agency (www.adventure.ie ) has been providing these courses for 11 years. I've been instructing on Rock Climbing courses professionally for almost 15 years having previously worked in Tiglin and other adventure centres in Wicklow.

You don't stay in this business if you are 'irresponsible'. There are cowboys out there but the Adventure Agency is certainly not one of them. Any of our past clients will attest to this.

Dalkey in winter is cold, you don't have to be weather guru to figure that one out. It's also a great time of year to climb once you are prepared for the conditions. We have the place to ourselves, no waiting or queuing for routes, we have the choice of the best routes. None of the bare chested posers which the summers brings, who seem to do more talking about their climbing rather than actually doing it. None of the climbers who behave as though they own the place. All said it's a great opportunity to be introduced to the sport & venue and build confidence in an unintimidating environment.

If the weather is bad we postpone. Some climbers take a break in winter, if that is the way you do it then so be it. But we like to keep the adventure in adventure sports. Personnally I climb all year round, I don't get these climbers who aspire to climb big mountains abroad but shy away from climbing in Ireland in winter.

At the Adventure Agency we pride ourselves on the very high standard of courses. Most of our business comes from word of mouth. Our safety record is impeccable.

This post was just to set the record straight. We're not going to enter a debate on the subject of climbing in winter and we won't post again on this thread.

BTW this weekends course is fully booked, with two people on a waiting list. Check our website for future dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

The friction is great in winter, yeah some routes are a bit green, but on a crisp day I'm sure the climbing in Dalkey is great. 4 degrees is perfect; go up to Glendo on a weekend like that and the place will be full of boulderers making the most of the conditions.

I guess I opened a can of worms some what when I drew attention to winter in my first post!

There's really nothing wrong with rock climbing in winter. As Andy Kirkpatrick puts it: mountaineering is the "art of suffering". Furthermore as Evil Phil says, the "friction" is better when it's cold (and dry). This can make winter an ideal time for the kind of gritstone climbing they practice in England. You'll see boulderers out with their down jackets in winter, taking advantage of the cold, dry weather to give them the best chance of completing their difficult climbing projects.

But, as it is with any other outdoor activity, it's generally more pleasant when it's warm and sunny!

The reason I say the "season" starts in April/May is more to do with the amount of day light available. It's only when April comes round that it begins to become feasible to go climbing in Dalkey after work without having to bring a head torch!

I personally think it a good idea to learn to climb over the winter, as I suggested previously. When the summer does come round, you'll have done your training, and you'll be ready to take on all the routes in Dalkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭adagio

I think its irresponsible to run an outdoor rock climbing course before the start of April in our climate.
    Sorry dude.. you are entitled to your opinion but you're way off the mark.
    Once it's dry it's go time = better friction.
    If it's dry I'll be there next weekend.... bring it!
    A.

• Advertisement
Advertisement