Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How create image background with Divs

Options
  • 25-08-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    Im relatively new to web design so I think this should be a straight forward question for someone out there who works in the field. Im looking to design a site where i have an image background with floating DIVs on top that contain text. An example of what im looking to achieve can be found here :
    "http://www.esb.ie/main/home/index.jsp"

Would anyone know what this effect is called so i can investigate further on the net. At the minute i dont even know what to search for? Any info would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Download a tool called FireBug for FireFox. It allows you right click on page elements and see both the html and the css for the element.

In this case the div is:
    <div id="homepage">
    <div id="banner-background">

with the following in the css:
    #homepage #banner-background {
    background:url("../img/windmill-background.jpg") no-repeat scroll center center #0064A2;
    border-bottom:1px solid #666666;
    display:block;
    height:631px;
    padding:0;

More info on css (and xhtml) is at http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp or of course, Google 'css background images'.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 petes2008

wow, awesome little add-on there, a great help in viewing div details, thanks a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There should really be a sticky thread for add-ons & applications like Firebug (or Developer Tools if you're using IE); it makes debugging markup and stylesheets so easy, and yet many designers appear to have never heard of it.

Advertisement