Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top story in the Argus

Options
  • 25-08-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

http://www.argus.ie/premium/news/son-lucky-he-wasnt-killed-2310875.html

Honestly how can this paper seriously print this tripe? This mother should be ashamed of herself and not trying to angle for her 'compo money'.

My two year old can grasp the fact that gates are put up to keep people out- Why couldn't a nine year old?

It's terrible that the kid got injured but both the child and the parents need to take responsibility here not the flipping council!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

True, the signs are there for a reason. I suspect that the boy can actually read too!
    He shouldn't have been were he was, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Yeah typical - "it's everyone else's fault"....

Off course it's the council's fault - they should have people manning the locked gates with the keep out sign, at all times , to stop children climbing over.....:confused:

The boy was very lucky in that he could have been more seriously injured, but somebody should explain the concept of parental responsibilities to his mother! How in the world she thinks it's the council's fault is beyond comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

read it today

she said that he was climbing the gate to have a look at some dogs or something. can he not look through the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jesus, shows how much happened around here in the last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

axel rose wrote: »
    http://www.argus.ie/premium/news/son-lucky-he-wasnt-killed-2310875.html

Honestly how can this paper seriously print this tripe? This mother should be ashamed of herself and not trying to angle for her 'compo money'.

My two year old can grasp the fact that gates are put up to keep people out- Why couldn't a nine year old?

It's terrible that the kid got injured but both the child and the parents need to take responsibility here not the flipping council!

The law is crooked. Trespassers should not be permitted to make claims. Unfortunately the law supports their claim and in a court of law they win.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

true-I'm guessing that she wont be paying for the solicitor either :rolleyes:

You could be nearly certain. Irish Legal System=disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 43 workstoomuch

climbing on gate means breaking law, typical compo seeking fools who think the intelligent public care about their scumbag kids

climbing on gate means breaking law, typical compo seeking fools who think the intelligent public care about their scumbag kids

No. They are motivated by money period. They do not care if the public cares for their kids or not! injury, right or wrong=money in their eyes. It is not about caring. If they cared they wouldn't be pursuing such a case. Compensation over morals, ethics. These kinds of people have no ethical morals

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

what total and utter nonsense that woman needs to get real. Them gates are there for a reason and had he not been climbing he would not have got hurt. I know kids will be kids and none of us were perfect im sure as kids but if that was me my parents would have thanked god I was ok then I would have got a clip around the ear for being so stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

totally agree. what was the editor thinking ? obviously the ma contacted the argus........'come down and see what that b***ard council did to my son'! surely the reporter would have the common sense to think, hang on here a minute, this isn't newsworthy, this kid was trespassing and got hurt, serves the wee fecker right, he'll not do it again.

this is not unlike the burglar who falls off your roof when he's breaking in and then sues you. some ppl like this mother have no shame. if he was my son, i'd have clipped him round the ear . as it is he's now of the mentality that ' i can do what ever i want cause mammy will always take my side. ppl like her sicken my happiness. I hope the council complains to the argus for such ridiculous reporting.

wait til you read the court report in a few months time. it'll be all 'little johnny was such a fun loving child who loved nothing more than climbing the fence to to look at the nice little doggie, while on his way to visit his sick elderly neighbour.......but now since the horrific trauma he experienced he's become withdrawn and stays in his room all day. at night time he has flashbacks and wets the bed and he doesn't play soccer anymore whereas before he was being scouted by dundalk............cue 33 grand to ease the pain ! where's Judge Judy when you need her !

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

always the irish way compo, compo its a sad stae of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Bette Porter well said!

totally agree. what was the editor thinking ? obviously the ma contacted the argus........'come down and see what that b***ard council did to my son'!

LOL You just gave me the image....A bunch of skanger women cackling together......'you should phone yer man Joe Duffy'......'Thats right mary, and don't forget D'argus too'.....'How much do ya think you;ll get for it?, My barry fell off the path p1ssed last year an' got €16k', he even got transferred to disability too- Its great.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

handy coming up to christmas:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Truff Puff wrote: »
    The law is crooked. Trespassers should not be permitted to make claims. Unfortunately the law supports their claim and in a court of law they win.:mad:

Actually hasn't that changed very recently meaning tresspassers are not entitled to claim if they are tresspassing and force can be used to remove them.

axel rose wrote: »
    LOL You just gave me the image....A bunch of skanger women cackling together......'you should phone yer man Joe Duffy'......'Thats right mary, and don't forget D'argus too'.....'How much do ya think you;ll get for it?, My barry fell off the path p1ssed last year an' got €16k', he even got transferred to disability too- Its great.'

lol yeah Dat's right mary, sure ring d'argus der and when ye get de compo ye can take me to D'england on D'airplane via de D'ecco road! lol Deadly !

PS up De town !

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Aghhhh this story really annoys me. Kind of reminds me of a good few years ago when there was a playground in the middle of Muirhevanmamor. A child was walking up the slide the wrong way and another child was sliding down. Cue a broken leg. The parents got £6000 off the council and the playground was taken away. You really can't account for peoples greed and kids stupidity. When I was a kid I learned the wrong thing to do by experience and it is very dissapointing this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

I didnt know anyone still bought the Argus anymore. Complete tripe of a paper.

DD loyal.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Just curious,

I wonder does anyone know why the gate was erected, or if anyone is familiar of the highlighted gate?

• Advertisement

asfaik the gates were erreted about a year ago to address antisocial behaviour.-Its not like they an be missed-they are 6ft tall!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Future Darwin award canditate methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Future Darwin award canditate methinks

you thinks wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

draffodx wrote: »
    Actually hasn't that changed very recently meaning tresspassers are not entitled to claim if they are tresspassing and force can be used to remove them.

As far as I know that still hasn't passed into law... could be wrong thou..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The Argus have gone ala Sun/Star with this spiel.To be fair to the journo involved,she never(to my knowledge)gets involved with this kind of story,more arts and "serious" articles.
    The question is, are local newspapers and their editors putting pressure on journos to produce any story regardless of there content??
    Will they accept "sensationalist" stories over "quality" stories in their clamber for readers??
    I buy both the Demo and the Argus, but the Argus are a 100 miles ahead of the Demo in some mad race to the bottom:mad:

The Argus have gone ala Sun/Star with this spiel.To be fair to the journo involved,she never(to my knowledge)gets involved with this kind of story,more arts and "serious" articles.
    The question is, are local newspapers and their editors putting pressure on journos to produce any story regardless of there content??
    Will they accept "sensationalist" stories over "quality" stories in their clamber for readers??
    I buy both the Demo and the Argus, but the Argus are a 100 miles ahead of the Demo in some mad race to the bottom:mad:

Do you really think thats the case ? I might be wrong but i reckon there are ppl who buy only the argus and those that buy only the demo, then some who buy both regardless of headline , like me (i'm loaded me ;)............got a massive claim when i sued me neighbour cause i cut me hand on his rose bush)

i don't reckon there are a sizeable amount of ppl who buy it only if there is a sensationalist story on the front page. ( more times than not anyway, the headline and story on the front page is all bluster and little content and only confined solely to the front page. at that rate you got read it in the shop !

(Though i look forward to pre booking my copy of the argus in a forthnight when the headline finally reads; ' Mc Ardle jailed at last'.........though i won't hold my breath !!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

He climbed on a fence, fell and cut himself. Yeah, a real scumbag alright!!

And only 9 years old, a master criminal he's going to be!!

Send him to jail now and get it over with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the gate is obviously there for a reason , HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON IT ! GET OVER IT -excuse the pun

He climbed on a fence, fell and cut himself. Yeah, a real scumbag alright!!

And only 9 years old, a master criminal he's going to be!!

Send him to jail now and get it over with.

i think you're splitting hairs here....... i read Workstoomuch as speaking in general about the kind of ppl who are constantly on the lookout for free money. and it depends on your personal interpretation of a scumbag. personally i think using a stupid self inflicted act as a way to fleece an innocent party, is a scummy thing to do.

Children learn what they live, and in instances like these it certainly doesn't bode well for the integrity and responsibility of these kinda kids in the future ! 'Sure thats what ma and da did' !

it's the same as calling to someones door cause you just saw their little johnny break your window. so you tell the parent and instantly the parent f%%Ks you off and and does the whole ' it wasn't my child' ! taking th3e kids word over that of the adult who watched him do it. it gives kids the carte blanche to behave as they like without fear of consequences. back in the day you would have been dragged by the scruff of the neck up to your parents house and hidden under the bed waiting for your dad to come in. now you can't even look wrong at one of them and they're spouting assault !

This child in question should have been told, ' serves ye right now don't do it again', not given the title of victim and the 15 mins of fame that he now has amongst his mates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

In an attempt to both highlight and lighten, has anyone seen the "Holy Moly Bike" vid in YouTube? Speaks volumes for the "My child's an angel" Brigade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bekLCvSjrT8

Advertisement