Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad. Medicine

• 25-08-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Ok well basically I got offered mathematics in Trinity College. Its a 4 year course and I'm thinking about going for post grad. medicine after that which is also a 4 years course. So in 8 years time I could be a qualified doctor if things go to plan.

However this is my dilemma: I could either take this route or repeat next year and give medicine a shot again at undergraduate level. If i repeat and only if i get med the year after, I could get my medical degree in 6, 7 years depending on College. I just did my LC for the first time along with the HPAT. I got 134 in the HPAT.

I heard from a reliable source that it is very difficult to go up in the HPAT and its true i didnt give it my best but even if i do, is it possible to go up by alot? I saw proof from repeat students who resat the HPAT and the most anyone went up was like 12 points. Some even dropped down significatly. These r just repeat students from a certain institue. I saw the results of about 10 repeat students, some even got 600 in LC and still didnt get enough HPAT points the second time around.

I have wanted to do medicine since the end of 5th year and I have also enjoyed Mathematics all my school life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know how much fees would be for post grad med?

Thanks Everyone!

PS: i read somewhere that post grad students had the best HPAT results from a group of people in an experiment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The health sciences education can give you more info on post grad med as regards fees etc, but I do know they are quite high. As well as that, you have to have a 2.1 in the degree you're doing now, plus you have to sit the GAMSAT. From what I've heard its a very tough exam, not an aptitude one like the hpat but more a mixture of science, english and more. The other forum is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1274

If you're happy enough with your leaving cert, the best thing you can do is repeat the HPAT. The riskier option would be to take the year out, do the hpat, then reapply through the CAO. However, if your hpat isn't good enough you're starting your 4 year course a year later (as long as you defer it now, as theres no guarantee points won't go up next year), which means you won't be qualified for 9 years.

The safer way would be to start your maths degree, repeat the hpat and reapply through the CAO in the meantime, and await the results. However, this has its disadvantages in that if you get accepted for medicine this time next year, you will have to pay fees for first year (~9000) and you won't be eligible for a grant.

The hpat statistics vary too much to tell anyone that they'll go up on the second try. Some do, some don't, some do prep courses, some don't. Theres no evidence that doing it again does or doesn't increase your score.

Research the GAMSAT and how much each way will cost. Take into account that maths degree + postgrad medicine will be 8 years of general college expenses and accommodation, starting maths and then changing will be 6/7 years, plus fees for 1 year, and taking a year out while redoing the hpat and getting med next year will be 5/6 years expenses.

Advertisement