Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career in the DF

• 25-08-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone wishing for a career in the DF, keep an eye on www.military.ie on Thursday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

http://www.military.ie/careers/index.htm

Recruitment has commenced for General Service in the PDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Good to see so it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bleedinrapidbud

Good to see so it is!
    Yep hopefully an overseas mission soon too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭paddycam

yea seen it in the paper today,wonder how many there takeing on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SICKBOi

hi do you need to know how to swim to join the pdf ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

SICKBOi wrote: »

Not Nessersarly But Its A Big Help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

only for the Navy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Lads can anyone tell me why the age is so young 25 and would i 27 be wasting my time applying.. I heard last week that they where taking applications
    Filled an application all the same all they can say is no..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GK_91

Can you apply for both the army and the air corps or just one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

elius wrote: »
    Lads can anyone tell me why the age is so young 25 and would i 27 be wasting my time applying.. I heard last week that they where taking applications
    Filled an application all the same all they can say is no..

If you're under 27, you can still apply for the Navy.

• Advertisement

If you're under 27, you can still apply for the Navy.

I no but the army is 25 which is a little harsh why not a level playing field..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ennisweed

sent my application hope i hear something soon

No bud ya don't and if ya get in you can do swimmin courses anyway :)

GK_91 wrote: »
    Can you apply for both the army and the air corps or just one of them?
    Air Corps are only takin on cadets as far as i know but the army are takin on in all Brigades as general service!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

Just wondering i applied for the general service there and want to know is there the option of doing your leaving cert while in the defense forces? Any help will be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

In relation to the swimming thing. There will be a lot of applications in for this intake I assume. So learning cant hurt.

Just wondering i applied for the general service there and want to know is there the option of doing your leaving cert while in the defense forces? Any help will be greatly appreciated
    Yeah you can you'll be the only student to have a weekly wage :)

elius wrote: »
    I no but the army is 25 which is a little harsh why not a level playing field..

I'm guessing it's as the army has more applicants, so they can be a bit more stringent with the criteria. Poccington would know more on the subject though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

How Dose This Work Im Doing My Leaving This Year...can I still apply and see How it Goes? If Your 16 Can You Apply And When I Have My Leaving Done Be 17?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

Sounds good to me :D:D:D
    Also do you think they would be a bit less likely to take you on due to the no leaving or would they be happy to hear you would do it with them.
    Just wondering too im currently a security guard would that help in any way ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ok,

1. You do not need to know how to swim before joining the army. I could not swim when I joined, 10 yrs in, and I still cant. If you do pass Recruit Training, there are basic swimming courses available throughout the year.

2. If you complete Recruit Training, there is a facility where you can do your leaving Cert. It is a 2 year course, its also fairly hard to get. My advice is do your leaving cert in Civvy street before you apply.

"Also do you think they would be a bit less likely to take you on due to the no leaving
    Personally, I would imagine they would exclude people without already having an LC, purely because of the volume of applications for the 80 places. They will more than likely pick the best educated. Im not saying that THEY wont pick people without the LC, but I would.

or would they be happy to hear you would do it with them"
    I very much doubt this, ^^^. A unit would not be happy to let you go for 2 years, we are already under staffed at the moment, so, giving you 2 years away from duties etc would not be favoured.

"Just wondering too im currently a security guard would that help in any way"
    I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 miracleman89

Hi

I m thinking of joining the army but i have also applied for the Garda in 2008 but havent heard of any intake for a good while. if i joined the army and a year later the garda are taking in new entrants and i m accept. could i leave the army and join the garda if i wanted or would that be a dishonorable discharge or anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

the fitness test of 20 push ups /sit ups,, is it 1 minute for each or 1 minute to do both???

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mc_coster

the fitness test of 20 push ups /sit ups,, is it 1 minute for each or 1 minute to do both???

its 20 push ups in a minute,
    20 sit ups in a minute,
    1.5 mile (2.4km) run in 11 and a half minutes (13 for woman)

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

Just about the leaving cert there lads. You need to be in second re-engagement of your contract to be eligible with competition section to do your leaving cert with the DF. So, if you enlist for a period of five years you have to wait for that contract to end and after you have signed back on then you can do apply for the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm 25 on 9th of October, would I pass for the age cut-off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

I'm nearly sure that in your case you'd need to enlisted on the 8th of October while your still 24, however the fitness tests aren't being held until the the last week of September so I don't think you have enough time before you turn 25.

Does anyone know how many each brigade is taking on?

Also I keep hearing that the DF want to have E and S Brigade recruits in training by December with W and DFHQ recruits starting in January, quite a quick recruitment process by the Army's standards! This could be a ball hop however and it could go on a bit longer than that. In any case it's brilliant that recruitment has commenced again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Coolbreeze2809

The Eastern and Southern Brigade are taking 40 each. The numbers for Western Brigade and DFTC are TBC. According to Pat O'Connors Facebook page.

• Advertisement

im 25 on the 16th oct, would it make me inellegible??:mad:

im 25 on the 16th oct, would it make me inellegible??:mad:

no dont think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Hi

I m thinking of joining the army but i have also applied for the Garda in 2008 but havent heard of any intake for a good while. if i joined the army and a year later the garda are taking in new entrants and i m accept. could i leave the army and join the garda if i wanted or would that be a dishonorable discharge or anything??

If you are a serving member of the DF you can transfer to the Gardai directly if you are successful in the GS recruitment competition, all that happens is you loose one year of service towards your pension

ArdMhacha wrote: »
    I'm nearly sure that in your case you'd need to enlisted on the 8th of October while your still 24, however the fitness tests aren't being held until the the last week of September so I don't think you have enough time before you turn 25.

Also I keep hearing that the DF want to have E and S Brigade recruits in training by December with W and DFHQ recruits starting in January, quite a quick recruitment process by the Army's standards! This could be a ball hop however and it could go on a bit longer than that. In any case it's brilliant that recruitment has commenced again.

Probably came too soon for me anyways, I kinda gave up hope with the recruitment freeze so haven't been training like I should, I can only hope they increase the age limit but that seems unlikely.

im 25 on the 16/oct would same apply to me??

Probably best to give the recruitment office a ring, it's a bit of a gray area seeing as you'd be 24 for fitness testing but 25 before you'd actually join Up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

Exactly, best ringing a recruitment office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Just out of curiosity is there a cut off as to numbers? How many are they looking for in other words.

iceage wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity is there a cut off as to numbers? How many are they looking for in other words.

200 are be recruited.... so thats 50 for each Brigade

siblers wrote: »
    Probably best to give the recruitment office a ring, it's a bit of a gray area seeing as you'd be 24 for fitness testing but 25 before you'd actually join Up.

yep i emailed the hq and they got back to me there unfortunatly il be 25 on enlistment date so im ruled out:mad: fcuk sakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭82dgolf

Hi

How many threads are you going to post this in?
    I can see you getting alot of attention as a recruit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

mc_coster wrote: »
    200 are be recruited.... so thats 50 for each Brigade

Where did you get this information from? Im not sure that it is accurate!

Its 80 in total, 40 for the East and 40 for ths South.

benwavner wrote: »
    Where did you get this information from? Im not sure that it is accurate!

Its 80 in total, 40 for the East and 40 for ths South.

i was told by a CQ ........he said that they are taking in around 40-50 people in each brigade!!!!

and what about the Western Brigade and the Defence Forces Training Center??

Yeah, WB are advertisted on the application form.

hi can you join if u had lasek eye surgery?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

hi my bro joined a few years back while in his l.cert year & they made time available for him to study & sit his exam!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lakes1985

i applied & turned 25 in june!! surely its ok to be 25 years old max

lakes1985 wrote: »
    i applied & turned 25 in june!! surely its ok to be 25 years old max

i dont think so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

You must be under 25 years for Army, under 27 years for NS.

hi can you join if you had laser eye surgery? i know its not allowed for cadetships but im looking to join threw general enlistment afaik it says nothing about vision correction in the booklet

• Registered Users Posts: 34 groundshaker

hi can you join if you had laser eye surgery? i know its not allowed for cadetships but im looking to join threw general enlistment afaik it says nothing about vision correction in the booklet
    Well, sure say chice, they'll be none the wiser anyway. No use going creating problems for yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement