Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jumping

Options
  • 25-08-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

hi

iv started training a setter for hunting game, shes 5 and a half months, she is taking to training fairly well, but i cant stop her jumping on people, i have tried a load of things, so any advice would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What have you tried?

I found the easiest thing was to turn my back on the dog until she was sitting or standing calmly. They soon figure out that they get ignored for jumping and fussed over for sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

How are you training her or what methods are you using?

If you have a spray bottle filled with water a quick squirt into her face might work & then ignore her. It worked on my lab x but he still acts up now & again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Age plays a huge part, had someone told me a few months age that my dog would not be a jumper I'd have laughed. He was a nightmare at that age, and very very rarely jumps now. I just said a sharp no and tuned away from him when he did it.

But really, getting older and less excitable is what really helped. I'd say around the 14month mark he improved, so only another 9 months of jumping to go. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

easyeason3 wrote: »
    How are you training her or what methods are you using?

If you have a spray bottle filled with water a quick squirt into her face might work & then ignore her. It worked on my lab x but he still acts up now & again.

just light training as she is still young, recall sit stop etc, il try the water again but i spose she just needs time to mature a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

One tip I got with a previous dog(large boxer cross, very bouncy) was to raise my knee as I saw the dog about to jump, the aim is not to hit or hurt the dog but to deflect the jump. It takes a bit of practice to get it right (knee needs to come up with the jump and push to the side) and you have to use the no or down command, but it worked great for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mymo wrote: »
    One tip I got with a previous dog(large boxer cross, very bouncy) was to raise my knee as I saw the dog about to jump, the aim is not to hit or hurt the dog but to deflect the jump.
    Used that on a cousins dog. After a few days, the dog associated jumping on me with a pain in it's belly, and so stopped. It's not kneeing the dog, it's blocking the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

the_syco wrote: »
    Used that on a cousins dog. After a few days, the dog associated jumping on me with a pain in it's belly, and so stopped. It's not kneeing the dog, it's blocking the dog.

It shouldn't hurt the dog, thats not the aim. Used in conjunction with the no or down command to deflect the jump, and praise when the down is all four paws on the ground, it does work.
    The knee should come up with the dog into the chest shoulder area and push the dog aside, so it goes away and down.

Advertisement