Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 week work experience - employment oppurtunity?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have got a huge software company to accept work experience in their new plant in Galway as i came second in a job interview at the last interviewing stage.

I was told im the first to introduce it to the company so im gettign first place for showing initiative etc.

Would you think there'd be a job oppurtunity for me after 7 weeks experience or would they just say "Slán!"???

Is 7 weeks enough, this is the most i could get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

You'd have to ask them.
    Depends on budgets, whether there's enough work for you, whether you make a valid enough contribution to whatever project you might be asked to help out on.

You might not be made permanent after it, but put on a short contract.

Also depends on how well you fit into the team.

Nobody can answer this question for you except your manager after say 5 of the 7 weeks of your work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what company is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

You'd have to ask them.
    Depends on budgets, whether there's enough work for you, whether you make a valid enough contribution to whatever project you might be asked to help out on.

You might not be made permanent after it, but put on a short contract.

Also depends on how well you fit into the team.

Nobody can answer this question for you except your manager after say 5 of the 7 weeks of your work experience.

Good post,

Well done OP though, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Thanks. I kept at them for ages.

Id laugh if someone from the place here. haha.

Hey just an update, first week going really well. If im not busy i make myself busy.

The experience is not in my preferred field which is software engineering where this is more networking and QA.

Would this affect my chances of getting hired, or would the idea of a foot in the door still exist?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Hey just an update, first week going really well. If im not busy i make myself busy.
    TBH in my first week, I'd avoid posting on the net at work*
    The experience is not in my preferred field which is software engineering where this is more networking and QA.

Would this affect my chances of getting hired, or would the idea of a foot in the door still exist?
    1. its easier to find a job when you are already working
    2. many people would love a job at the moment so do your best to keep it
    3. Its experience regardless. Don't you think some QA experience would help you in a software eng area?

* makes assumption here

Its 7 weeks experience not a full job. also its not testin software but managing network devices and testing hardware products

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

skelliser wrote: »
    what company is it?

OP, I wouldn't answer that without the companies prior approval.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Its 7 weeks experience not a full job. also its not testin software but managing network devices and testing hardware products
    I'm assuming that was a response to my post.
    This is completely irrelevant. You have a job in IT for 7 weeks (when many others want a job). I'm assuming that there weren't loads of offers being thrown at you givern that you are doing work experience.
    Do a good job and you may be working for longer while you look for something more suitable. In the meantime, while it isn't exactly what you are looking for, think of it as being better than working in Tesco and experience in a field somewhat related to your discipline which will look good on a CV.

Advertisement