Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New NCT/VRT rules..

• 25-08-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any pointers as to how they will acess bikes...no mention on here...????

http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's not going to affect bikes. This is a check to see what extras, against Irish spec cars, are fitted to increase the amount of VRT paid.

Bikes are done on a cc basis with a discount for age, no point in looking for extras as they don't charge for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I'm aware of the way bikes "are" calculated but i havent been told how they intend doing them from Sept 1st....theres a lot of stuff in there about valid MOT certs, ferry tickets etc...i'd just like to see something on paper to clarify things a wee bit....:confused:

From the Revenue site, the NCT Centres now deal with vehicle registration not the VRO's.
    Where do I Register?

The National Car Testing Service (NCTS) has been appointed by the Revenue Commissioners to carry out a range of vehicle registration functions on their behalf. From 1 September 2010, to register a vehicle, you must first book an appointment at an NCTS centre to have the vehicle examined and pay the VRT due (and other tax liabilities as appropriate).

I would like to know what all the now jobless civil servants will be doing?

Bikes are still VRT'd the same.
    Motor-cycles

Examples include motor-cycles, scooters, certain All Terrain Vehicles (ATV). VRT is charged by reference to the cubic capacity (cc) of the engine. The current rates are €2 in respect of each cc up to 350 and €1 for each cc thereafter. The total amount is then reduced by prescribed percentages in accordance with the following table to take account of the age of the vehicle:

You also need proof that you only imported it within 7 days of making the appointment with NCTS. If the vehicle is over 4 years old you need the national equivalent of the NCT from the country you bought it in. If you don't have this they will make you do the NCT here shortly after you register it. Bit silly as 4 years old cars need the NCT anyway:confused:

Since we don't have an NCT for bikes it doesn't matter. But you shouldn't really buy a bike without an MOT

New vehicles are now only 3 months or <3,000km, shame Sterling has gained so much.
    A new vehicle (one that is unregistered, one that was registered less than 3 months ago or one that has travelled less than 3,000 kilometres at the time of registration) presented for registration must be accompanied by:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

They NCT bikes in England ( they call it MOT test ). Anyone tells us what the test is like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

The test in uk is fairly comprehensive. They check absolutely everything, bearings, alignment, lights, db noise from exhaust, emissions. I include a link to let you know how to pass the test:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/BIKES/news/how_to_pass_your_bike_mot_test_first_time.html

• Advertisement

HellsAngel wrote: »
    They NCT bikes in England ( they call it MOT test ). Anyone tells us what the test is like ?

They MOT everything in the Uk.....i'd say we're heading that way too....If you buy a bike and it has'nt been MOT'd ,how will the NCT crowd test it...???
    I'm guessin they wont/cant...:confused:

Sids Not wrote: »
    They MOT everything in the Uk.....i'd say we're heading that way too....If you buy a bike and it has'nt been MOT'd ,how will the NCT crowd test it...???
    I'm guessin they wont/cant...:confused:

They can't NCT it as we have none for bikes and are highly unlikely to get one.

If the seller won't MOT the bike then don't buy it, it costs them very little and can be done anywhere with short waiting times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Del2005 wrote: »
    They can't NCT it as we have none for bikes and are highly unlikely to get one.

If the seller won't MOT the bike then don't buy it, it costs them very little and can be done anywhere with short waiting times.
    Not doubting you, but why do you say that ? Govt cut backs due to the crash of the Celtic tiger ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Not doubting you, but why do you say that ? Govt cut backs due to the crash of the Celtic tiger ?

Not enough bikes to make any money out of it!

I guess some of you will chew my heads off for saying this.....but........an mot/nct for bikes is a good thing. There are too many bikes out there that have been abused, not looked after, dangerous to drive, and to anyone that knows very little about bikes, potentially lethal.
    The test is to let the owner/prosective owner know that the bike has passed certain safety standards and is in a roadworthy condition. I am certainly not wanting to hand over any green notes for tests in any shape or form....but....there has to be a minimum safety requirement for any vehicle capable of speed on a public road. I remember before the nct was introduced......I saw cars with virtually no steel holding them together being driven on the road....legally!
    So.......p1ss and moan at me all you like........but sorry lads, and lasses, I have to be in favour of some sort of test for motorbikes, it's gonna come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

no
    thats what bike shops are for
    if you cant maintain yer bike and you dont pay a shop or get a mate then you will get hurt
    this is a good thing and btw the nct on cars is a joke and on bikes would be worse

bike are a precision instrimuent i see how well my biker mates keep thier cars as opposed to ny non biker mates
    why : because if youy are gonna drive you should habve control and no worries that the device will fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

furerer wrote: »
    I guess some of you will chew my heads off for saying this.....but........an mot/nct for bikes is a good thing. There are too many bikes out there that have been abused, not looked after, dangerous to drive, and to anyone that knows very little about bikes, potentially lethal.
    The test is to let the owner/prosective owner know that the bike has passed certain safety standards and is in a roadworthy condition. I am certainly not wanting to hand over any green notes for tests in any shape or form....but....there has to be a minimum safety requirement for any vehicle capable of speed on a public road. I remember before the nct was introduced......I saw cars with virtually no steel holding them together being driven on the road....legally!
    So.......p1ss and moan at me all you like........but sorry lads, and lasses, I have to be in favour of some sort of test for motorbikes, it's gonna come.

Show me the statistics that say poorly maintained bikes are causing accidents. Do these statistics exist? If not how do we know if an NBT will do anything but be a money making racket.

The NCT is a terrible example of how something like this should be implemented.

All that a roadworthy/safety test proves is that the vehicle was safe at the time it was tested.

My car passed it's NCT on Sunday. I could go out tomorrow and smack a couple of footpaths ruin my tracking, damage wishbones etc but my NCT is still valid till Sep 2012.

There already are minimum standards for vehicles that are on the public road, they simply aren't enforced by the Gardaí.

People are still buying dangerous/lethal cars even with the test. If someone doesn't know what they should look for when buying a bike (or car) they should bring a friend/pay someone who does to look over the purchase. There will always be dodgy sellers and if you don't know what you're doing you will, unfortunately, more then likely be ripped off.

I've no problem with a test for bikes, but there simply aren't enough in the country for it to be economically viable to setup testing centres.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Show me the statistics that say poorly maintained bikes are causing accidents. Do these statistics exist? If not how do we know if an NBT will do anything but be a money making racket.

The NCT is a terrible example of how something like this should be implemented.

Now how am I going to show you statistics? why dont you show me statistics proving otherwise. If you read my statements correctly I never mentioned "poorly maintained bikes are causing accidents". I stated that "There are too many bikes out there that have been abused, not looked after, dangerous to drive, and to anyone that knows very little about bikes, potentially lethal". When your son or daughter, if you have any, has an accident due to a poorly maintained bike, perhaps you can start up a "statistic record" for all the good it will do. There are few bike owners in Ireland and that is why we do not have a large amount of accidents.
    Why do you state that the nct is a terrible example? Do you just hate having to pay for it and maintaining your car? The nct tests cars for basic roadworthyness, what's wrong with that? or would you rather we go back to the ol' days where you could drive with bald tyres, f-cked bearings, twisted bumpers, rotten chassis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sids Not wrote: »
    Anyone have any pointers as to how they will acess bikes...no mention on here...????

http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html
    It's not going to affect bikes. This is a check to see what extras, against Irish spec cars, are fitted to increase the amount of VRT paid.

Bikes are done on a cc basis with a discount for age, no point in looking for extras as they don't charge for them.

They'll be checking the bike's mileage and age, basically to make sure it is what you say it is, if a bike is under a certain mileage then VAt will be due.

They won't be a NBT for some time as the equipment to perform the suspension tests is expensive and it wouldn't be cost effective to implement on such a small number of vehicles.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

All that a roadworthy/safety test proves is that the vehicle was safe at the time it was tested.

My car passed it's NCT on Sunday. I could go out tomorrow and smack a couple of footpaths ruin my tracking, damage wishbones etc but my NCT is still valid till Sep 2012.

Bit of a silly statement......isn't it? I could go to the doctor tomorrow and be told I'm fine.......but have an accident the next day.

If you're cars has been in an accident which ruins your tracking and wishbones..........you're not going to be driving it, are you?

Bit of a silly statement......isn't it? I could go to the doctor tomorrow and be told I'm fine.......but have an accident the next day.

If you're cars has been in an accident which ruins your tracking and wishbones..........you're not going to be driving it, are you?

No, but you're saying we need a NBT. If we do get a NBT all that it'll prove is that the bike was safe on the day of the test, it can be written off the next day and still have a valid NBT.

I've seen some very badly damaged cars driving around and they have had the NCT for years now.
    When your son or daughter, if you have any, has an accident due to a poorly maintained bike, perhaps you can start up a "statistic record" for all the good it will do.
    If someone is willing to let their own children out on poorly maintained bike then it's that persons fault not the lack of a test. An annual or bi-annual test isn't going to change the fact that the bike isn't properly maintained. You should be inspecting your own bike daily not waiting for a tester to tell you it's dangerous and if you can't tell if it's dangerous you should be getting it regularly checked over be a competent mechanic

Sorry lads ,could we keep this on topic...I ,like othere dont want to have to trawl to pages of bitching to find out the important stuff......please..;)

Advertisement