Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"TUI calls on schoolbook publishers" to cop the f**k on

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I really don't get this. We have kids dragging heavy bags, and parents buying expensive books. The new Kindle which is only on sale this week is dirt cheap, really really cheap, and can store thousands of books. Wouldn't it be a lot better if every kid had a Kindle, and a copybook for notes and homework? Bags would be featherlite, and kids would learn a little bit about tech too, and any spinal issues from carrying large bags with constantly shifting centres of gravity would be done away with.

[EDIT] Plus the Kindle can be used for years too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Sorry for overreacting.I'm a noob and I'm not familiar yet with most of the posters in here and since I've got nothing but (very poor) flak of one individual in particular, i might be a lil bit defensive.

Ah no worries, you weren't abusive or anything, just sticking up for yourself, and I read the other thread and saw it got a bit heated so I can see where you're coming from, didn't mean to make you feel like we were ganging up on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I'm not American.
    I was lowballing those figures because I wanted to understate the case,thinking that to most people the conservative estimate would be shocking enough.
    It seems that most got the point,but you interpreted it as an opportunity to do some yank bashing.But you jumped the gun and sprinted all the way to epic failure once again because I am as Irish as a moving statue.
    You also insinuated that I prefer to call blackboards, chalkboards, because I am motivated by racial prejudice.This is a wild and unfounded accusation.

I guess Terry, you must be the Forum Bully jumping right on the new boy's back.I don't get bullied Terry, especially not by someone who claims to be an alcoholic junkie with an Rx addiction to boot.You don't think I'd roll over for someone like that do you?

Keep pitching them kid and I'll keep knocking them out onto the street:rolleyes:

I think he was intimating that your motivation in calling them chalkboards was 'political correctness'; for many people around here, that's a far worse crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

bbk wrote: »
    My responses are in the red font and below the quote.

My outlook is realistic. Money would be used on the wrong thing if your idea of how subjects should be taught is realised.

There is no reason why the English and History department should suddenly become more technological. Teaching practices and course content would be what is needed to encourage those subjects.

Instead of giving everystudent a computer terminal investing the money in subjects like maths, physics, tech graph and others I mentioned and more would benefit from investments in technology but that is because having a teacher with a well written program like Crocodile clips to help explain and design electrical circuits is much better then reading the theory in books.

This is about our future not the present.The world is moving now at a frightening pace.Technologies are developing, merging,morphing, dying at an ever growing pace.Pretty soon,if you have to wait for a book to be written,printed and bound, you have lost the race.

Ireland is falling way way behind in education standards.We're going from being one of the best,in the 80s and early 90s to middle of the pack right now.We are slipping.

We must move with the times.Whenever we do it rewards us.Whenever we don't we suffer.

Maybe a laptop for every child is too much to ask.But so is asking them to spend thousands on books that are designed to be more obsolete than books already are.

We need a coordinated central database for our education system that is updated continuously and is interactive.That is essential.Such a resource could even be shared by a few countries.An interface would be required obviously, and it doesn't have to be a pc.
    Something like a kindle could work.If a few leading nations adopted kindle , and made it the new standard for educational text, all others would follow and Kindles would be sold in massive volume until the next 'step up'.I'm sure if you ordered 100,000 Kindles you'd get some kind of trade discount.Do Folens give such a discount for their outdated books?I doubt it.

The last 2 universities I attended were moving to total computer and web based operation at least in my faculties.That was 10 years ago.I haven't purchased a book in over 12 years.I acquire everything online.I don't have time to hang around bookstores.Who does?Why are the big bookstore chains all folding or downsizing?Its a sign of the times.

I was in school when the USSR broke up, and overnight my geography books became obsolete.It was 2 years before we got an updated book.That was fine then as most schools weren't online.

Picture that scenario today.The only thing to do would be accumulate the new information on the office web connection and then run off photocopies to the entire school as an amendment to the obsolete books.Is that where we want to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm not American.
    I was lowballing those figures because I wanted to understate the case,thinking that to most people the conservative estimate would be shocking enough.
    It seems that most got the point,but you interpreted it as an opportunity to do some yank bashing.But you jumped the gun and sprinted all the way to epic failure once again because I am as Irish as a moving statue.
    You also insinuated that I prefer to call blackboards, chalkboards, because I am motivated by racial prejudice.This is a wild and unfounded accusation.

I guess Terry, you must be the Forum Bully jumping right on the new boy's back.I don't get bullied Terry, especially not by someone who claims to be an alcoholic junkie with an Rx addiction to boot.You don't think I'd roll over for someone like that do you?

Keep pitching them kid and I'll keep knocking them out onto the street:rolleyes:
    Congratulations on doing so well in America. However, I would appreciate if you used Irish terminology when replying to my posts, or referencing me.

I have no idea what Rx is.

errr..we actually call them whiteboards, I don't know of any school using chalk anymore, it's markers and whiteboards.
    I'm deeply offended by that.
    Because I am in the States right now.If I was in Ireland with you,I'd refer to we.But I am not in Ireland,where you are, so there can be no we,until I get back............. 'kay?Get it now?Or is this a Ireland v USA thing for you?

I can't think of what i could do to allay your paranoia that I might be a yank posing as an Irishman.If you can come up with something, run it by me.It'd be nice to end this digression,started by Terry,the eh ...Wrestling Mod who ironically has a chip on his shoulder over America or the possibility one of it's citizens might be in here posting.
    Do you really want to ride on his crazy train or can we just drop it and accept that I'm Irish?

Dude, it's not a chip on my shoulder. It's a crisp. Tayto cheese and onion to be specific.

Terry wrote: »

I have no idea what Rx is.

Every druggie worth his Xanax knows that Rx is shorthand for 'prescription'.

A 'junkie' is an abuser of heroin btw.

I call crisps 'crisps'.They're definitely not chips, no matter what the yanks say.If you send me a picture of your shoulder,I'll get a pack of Taytos and try and teach them the difference.;)

I really don't get this. We have kids dragging heavy bags, and parents buying expensive books. The new Kindle which is only on sale this week is dirt cheap, really really cheap, and can store thousands of books. Wouldn't it be a lot better if every kid had a Kindle, and a copybook for notes and homework? Bags would be featherlite, and kids would learn a little bit about tech too, and any spinal issues from carrying large bags with constantly shifting centres of gravity would be done away with.

I couldn't agree more.Would need to have colour capability to maximise potential.But this is by far the most practical solution I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

I really don't get this. We have kids dragging heavy bags, and parents buying expensive books. The new Kindle which is only on sale this week is dirt cheap, really really cheap, and can store thousands of books. Wouldn't it be a lot better if every kid had a Kindle, and a copybook for notes and homework? , Bags would be featherlite and kids would learn a little bit about tech too, and any spinal issues from carrying large bags with constantly shifting centres of gravity would be done away with.

I agree with the rest of your post, but the bit i've highlighted is just not on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Just buy one and photocopy it for the whole class - problem solved :D

Given the fact that every year parents have to contribute a sum of money towards administration and photocopying fees (at least in my schools anyway, so much for free education) this isn't a bad idea at all.

• Advertisement

Pedro K wrote: »
    Given the fact that every year parents have to contribute a sum of money towards administration and photocopying fees (at least in my schools anyway, so much for free education) this isn't a bad idea at all.

A violation of copyright though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

the probem i see with laptops or computers is that eventually you will will have to pay the same amount for the programme as you would the book. (suppode you could get a torrnt of it;) )
    also there would be alot of distractions if access to the internet was available in the classroom. No internet filter would be able to block every, game, social and video site on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Agreed on the bag weight, when I was in primary the weight of my school bag was lethal, by the time I got home my poor back used to be aching. Luckily for us our 6th class teacher showed mercy and used to let us leave our books on our desk after school but up until then we had to drag every book into school day in day out. Perhaps primary schools should invest in lockers like secondary schools do.
    As for the Kindle, call me a Luddite if you will but I cannot study off a computer screen. if I need a document or a paper I have to print it out and study it (so much of the paperless office:D), it just feels wrong to me to if I can't physically hold the document in my hands and make notes on it. Thats probably just how I was educated though and it would be better for kids today to use these gizmo's for school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

the_syco wrote: »
    This has always been the problem. 2nd hand books usually did the job, with only slight grammatical differences between the new and old books usually. It's about time someone did this!

But it is not a slight grammatical difference, they change the order of the chapters and change the exercises in them, so that it is not possible for the kids to all be on the same page and to do the same home work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mike65 wrote: »
    How often does the text of Coriolanus or Lord of the Flies change?
    Poltical Correctness probably had a field day.
    Have new rivers been discovered or new laws of physics?
    Maybe.
    2+2 still equals 4 surely?
    Depends what profession you intend going into.
    So why don't the schools have the funding?Who's fault is it?Is that just the way it is and the way it'll always be.
    Local secondry school has about 700-1000 pupils (depends on how many they are currently allowed to fit in a room).

So, if using the cheapest crap money could buy, using Linux as opposed to buying a license for Windows, you're probably talking about €200 a laptop. That's €140,000 to €200,000 for one school.

Then you'll need to add training costs to all the teachers on the software, AV software per year, maintenance cots per year, etc.

I'm guessing there's 700 secondary schools, with unknown numbers in each of them, so the cost will spiral.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    But it is not a slight grammatical difference, they change the order of the chapters and change the exercises in them, so that it is not possible for the kids to all be on the same page and to do the same home work.
    I agree. My point was that the change in the content is very small, but as you said, the way they project it on the books will vary greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

This is about our future not the present.The world is moving now at a frightening pace.Technologies are developing, merging,morphing, dying at an ever growing pace.Pretty soon,if you have to wait for a book to be written,printed and bound, you have lost the race.
    The issue originally brought up in the thread was about the cost of books and the fact that they are reissued even if there are no significant changes to the syllabus or in the way the book gives the information. That has to change. Having those e-book readers would be a much better alternative then computer terminals for each student Ill admit. However the providers would still have to realise the main point of this thread which is about ridiculous prices.
    Ireland is falling way way behind in education standards.We're going from being one of the best,in the 80s and early 90s to middle of the pack right now.We are slipping.
    Yes, we are. The maths exams are getting dumbed down for one. However aside from the technical option subjects none of the core secondary subjects would really benefit students by being technologically advanced. As well as that the route cause of this falling behind is due to teaching quality coupled with course content. Im only 3 years out of the leaving and throughout the subject range I did you had evidence of that. The VEC college I was in had it worked out great. Computer rooms when needed for the subjects that really needed them and standard classrooms for the rest. That coupled with Moodle notes library for out of college hours. Thats the way it should go for secondary. Not across the board computerisation of everything, utter waste of resources when a laser cutting printer would be much more useful for subjects like Technology.

Picture that scenario today.The only thing to do would be accumulate the new information on the office web connection and then run off photocopies to the entire school as an amendment to the obsolete books.Is that where we want to be?
    That is the way they would do it now however with a Moodle based system for each school that wouldn't be necessary.
    Kindle/e-book system could work well though the providers will still charge crazy prices for them under the premise that the book cost nothing, but the development of it cost a lot.

And at the end of the day we will still have an uninteresting syllabus across many of the subjects taught by some teachers who I have to say neither had the motivation or the skill to teach them. There are too many problems with the currents secondary schooling system and they will not be fixed by kindle or computer terminal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

"TUI calls on schoolbook publishers" to cop the f**k on"

I didn't think the TUI used that sort of language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The Dept. of Education should hire a few expert people to write electronic versions of books and subsidise the use of iPAD-like tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

*waits for terry to destroy Misanthrope* again

*popped corn anyone?*

Maybe later. I've gotta go and pick up my Rx.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Somewhere like 75% of all my books over the years were second hand, there was always some differences between mine and the new ones, but I got on grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Here is a policy implemented by mathematics professors in UCLA in the U.S.

"A Textbook Editions Policy
    We have become increasingly concerned
    about a fairly common practice
    in the textbook publishing business.
    New editions are published on
    a regular cycle, with a period as short
    as four years, with little if any consideration
    of whether these new editions
    are justified on academic
    grounds. We understand that new
    book sales decrease in years following
    publication of new editions, as
    used copies become more available.
    Given the very high prices of new
    mathematics texts, it is not surprising
    that students often choose to buy
    used copies. To fight the reduction of
    income to publishers and authors,
    new editions appear for no apparent
    reason. This practice costs students
    money and forces often trivial but
    irritating changes in course outlines.
    This letter is prompted by the announcement
    that a particular text we
    have been using for a number of years
    is now going into the seventh edition.
    Successive editions of this text have
    appeared every four years for some
    time. In our view, they have gotten
    worse rather than better, because of
    the inclusion of more examples and
    verbiage that apparently are only intended
    to justify each new edition.
    We have no problem with books
    that go into second and third editions
    because of the desire to correct errors,
    improve presentation, or change topics
    covered, based on the experience
    of users of the original version. But if
    the author can’t get it right by the
    third edition, he/she should give up.
    The decision to publish a new edition
    should be based on pedagogy, not
    money.
    To put some pressure on publishers
    to adopt what we consider a more
    responsible approach to this issue,
    the undergraduate studies committee
    of the UCLA mathematics department,
    at its meeting of June 7, 2005,
    adopted the following resolution:
    “Whenever one of our textbooks appears
    in a new edition beyond the
    third, if there is no evidence that it
    represents a significant pedagogical
    improvement over the previous edition,
    the mathematics department will
    immediately start a search for a replacement
    text.”
    At the same meeting, we decided
    to change the text mentioned in the
    first paragraph above. This text has
    also been used by the UCLA statistics
    department. Robert Gould, who is
    my counterpart in that department,
    has endorsed this letter.
    —Thomas M. Liggett
    Undergraduate Vice Chair
    of Mathematics
    UCLA"

link

Sadly, this is true about math texts, one reason why you should go for the
    old stuff, not only are they cheaper they are more challenging and clearer.
    It pays off for the writer however, there is an author of a famous calculus
    book (that is horrible) who has a $24 Million mansion due to this practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I have two children currently in secondary school, one entering fourth year, and one entering third. I have two copies of the majority of books, except one or two,where the kids took different subjects.

I have another child starting secondary school next week - and only the English, Irish, and Maths books are any use to her.

All the other subjects either have a "new" edition of the book in question, or different teachers are using different books!!:mad:

Primary school books are just as bad - usually only English and Irish readers can be passed on/sold second-hand - even Maths textbooks are designed to have the answers to exercises written into the textbook, thus ensuring sales for the publishers the following year.

The whole sorry mess is blatantly weighted in favour of publisher sales, with no regard for the expense inflicted on long suffering parents.

Consumer driven market?? Yeah, right!!:rolleyes:

Noreen

PS. I'm surprised that Mr Gormless doesn't try to save a few trees, actually..........but then, taxes really are more important, aren't they..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We're faced with the problem that we do not have enough Irish books for the 2nd years in our Book Rental Scheme. It's not a case of ordering in new ones as there have been two new editions in the last 5 years and the one we have is not available any more. We can't afford to change everyone to the new ones. So even schools that try to use second hand books have problems because of new editions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Pedro K wrote: »
    Except that the publisher would sue the school for copyright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

A violation of copyright though.
    Except that the publisher would sue the school for copyright.

Sigh. Tongue in cheek guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Personally I would hate to have a laptop/kindle for school. It would be so hard to concentrate and your eyes would be so sore.

Personally I would hate to have a laptop/kindle for school. It would be so hard to concentrate and your eyes would be so sore.

Have you used one?

I tried the first model and was amazed that it was easier to read than a book.It's not like you monitor or laptop screen.The print is very defined with no glare.I think you can scale the text to your own spec, though I'm not sure.

I was expecting it to give me a sore head after a couple of hours and it didn't.I generally wouldn't read pulp for more than 2 hours anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Have you used one?

I tried the first model and was amazed that it was easier to read than a book.It's not like you monitor or laptop screen.The print is very defined with no glare.I think you can scale the text to your own spec, though I'm not sure.

I was expecting it to give me a sore head after a couple of hours and it didn't.I generally wouldn't read pulp for more than 2 hours anyway.
    "And because I like you, I'll even give you a discount if you buy now."

allanb49 wrote: »
    *waits for terry to destroy Misanthrope* again

*popped corn anyone?*

Again?There hasn't been a first time yet?He's pwned himself at every available opportunity.Maybe it's all the Xanax he's popping.Mother's little helper................ hardcore addiction alright.Addicted to being a jellied out mess and not being able to remember any of it.He should just go to sleep.

So, tell me about you.Are you the secretary of Terry's fan club?Why don't YOU destroy me?What was the point of your post?There's no content other than PA antagonism.If you've got a point make it.

But you don't have a point do you.You just circle like a vulture hoping your Wrestling Idol Terry will leave a few tidbits.Maybe if you keep rimming him you might get a few morsels.

I'm out, that felchy slurping noise you're making is sickening.

"And because I like you, I'll even give you a discount if you buy now."

:pac: LOLAMS. That was kind of like a sales pitch wasn't it?I couldn't sell water to a man dying of thirst.I worked in sales for 4 hours once.Useless so I was.

• Advertisement

Again?There hasn't been a first time yet?He's pwned himself at every available opportunity.Maybe it's all the Xanax he's popping.Mother's little helper................ hardcore addiction alright.Addicted to being a jellied out mess and not being able to remember any of it.He should just go to sleep.

So, tell me about you.Are you the secretary of Terry's fan club?Why don't YOU destroy me?What was the point of your post?There's no content other than PA antagonism.If you've got a point make it.

But you don't have a point do you.You just circle like a vulture hoping your Wrestling Idol Terry will leave a few tidbits.Maybe if you keep rimming him you might get a few morsels.

Gay sex. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Well someone needs a big ole hug.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You sure you're not a yank Misanthrope? You've the lingo and mannerisms down to a tee. Not that it matters, but if you're only over there on a J1 or soemthing that's some serious cultural realignment in a short period...who the hell wrestles in Ireland or uses it as a gay metaphor anyway?

Oh and LEAVE BRITNEY TERRY ALONE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭30H!3

They should just throw their cat in a wheelie bin instead

Wertz wrote: »
    You sure you're not a yank Misanthrope? You've the lingo and mannerisms down to a tee. Not that it matters, but if you're only over there on a J1 or soemthing that's some serious cultural realignment in a short period...who the hell wrestles in Ireland or uses it as a gay metaphor anyway?

I've lived here eleven years.I hadn't really noticed the change in my lingo.But I guess **** has rubbed off.When in Rome ........ ..................................visit the Irish barpub

Terry is listed as a ProWrestling forum mod.

While I can respect the athleticism and choreography of it's protagonists, I look at it's fans and weep.As pathetic a sight as you're ever likely to see.A kaleidoscope of Napoleon Dynamites.

As for the gay metaphor?Do I really have to spell it out.Sweaty juicers in spandex and tassled boots,groping each other in a simulated fight/pantomime, in front of a predominantly male audience all whooping and hollering like the front row at an early Beatles concert.Can I please stop now.

I'll leave Terry alone then.But if he comes back for more it'd be rude not to oblige.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I've lived here eleven years.

11 years is enough time to get like that, sure. Hell I picked up half a texan accent in less than a year, through trying to get americans to stop saying "What?" everytime I opened my mouth.

You know I never noticed that pro wrestling forum nor the mod... lol you should have been round when he was a mod on the afterhours. Or maybe you shouldn't...

Back on topic: Folens was an alleged Nazi? The plot thickens...

Your WWE champion.

I've lived here eleven years.I hadn't really noticed the change in my lingo.But I guess **** has rubbed off.When in Rome ........ ..................................visit the Irish barpub

While I can respect the athleticism and choreography of it's protagonists, I look at it's fans and weep.As pathetic a sight as you're ever likely to see.A kaleidoscope of Napoleon Dynamites.

As for the gay metaphor?Do I really have to spell it out.Sweaty juicers in spandex and tassled boots,groping each other in a simulated fight/pantomime, in front of a predominantly male audience all whooping and hollering like the front row at an early Beatles concert.Can I please stop now.

I'll leave Terry alone then.But if he comes back for more it'd be rude not to oblige.;)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd177/mrmiller09/american-football-is-gay.jpg
    http://mike100915.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/gay_soccer_12.jpg

I don't even need to do rugby.

Oh yeah. Hello.

11 years is enough time to get like that, sure. Hell I picked up half a texan accent in less than a year, through trying to get americans to stop saying "What?" everytime I opened my mouth.

You know I never noticed that pro wrestling forum nor the mod... lol you should have been round when he was a mod on the afterhours. Or maybe you shouldn't...

Back on topic: Folens was an alleged Nazi? The plot thickens...

I deeply regret my resignation thread and wish I had been more tactful towards those who were under the same pressure as I was at the time. It was very selfish and insular. The other mods did not do anything to deserve the insults I dealt out at that time.
    What I should have done was taken the 6 month break from boards, that I did take afterwards, instead of insulting people who did not deserve to be insulted.

I don't regret any actions I carried out when I was an AH mod though. Fun times. :)

Terry wrote: »

Tough to argue against the first one.Spandex everywhere.Massive shoulder pads are soooo 80s.And helmets are for soldiers.Oh yeah and fittingly the guy in the 'Packers' gear is dryhumping the Chicago 'Bear'.
    And to top it off they penalise you for 'unnecessary roughness' if you **** up the Prom King at QB.For once Terry,I find myself agreeing with you.

The soccer one was really badly done by someone using a bundle edition of photoshop.You should have just put up a picture of Man U after scoring a goal.

I think you need to do rugby for the laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"TUI calls on schoolbook publishers" to cop the f**k on"

I didn't think the TUI used that sort of language
    You get taught how to use quotes?
    I didn't say they said "TUI calls on schoolbook publishers" to cop the f**k on"
    I said they said
    "TUI calls on schoolbook publishers"
    and added
    to cop the f**k on
    to the end.

Advertisement