Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beers from Hungary

• 25-08-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Going there next week. Can anyone recommend what to drink and what to avoid. Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

drink beer.
    avoid strange men

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

pa990 wrote: »
    drink beer.
    avoid strange men

For a second I thought I had accidentally posted in After Hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

i couldn't even name one Hungarian beer.

i had a look on realbeers. ie and they dont even list any.

Your trip to Hungry will just have to involve a bit of experimentation (with beer, not strange men)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Was there 2 years ago had to check my photos there to see the beers I was drinking and the 2 I liked best were :

Borostyán and Dreher.

Dreher was on tap in most Hungarian pubs. I stayed away from the Irish bars as I heard they were a rip off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Yes, I recall getting Dreher and Gosser there (Budapest) - both Austrian I believe.

Hungarians like their wine (Bulls Blood & Tokaj) and also slivovice (sp. ?) type spirits / firewater !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Dreher Bak is a nice version of a German bock (strong lager) and kick in a 7%, one be careful of especially when available on draught!:D

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I stayed away from the Irish bars as I heard they were a rip off.

They always are - why would people leaving Ireland go to an Irish bar on holidays, except maybe to watch a football match perhaps, but otherwise strange.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

why would people leaving Ireland go to an Irish bar on holidays
    I've found them to be quite a good treatment for culture shock. When you're wandering around an Asian city and you want food and beer and for it not to be an ordeal for once Irish bars can be a godsend. And they usually have local beer as well as overpriced Diageo stuff.

oblivious wrote: »
    Dreher Bak is a nice version of a German bock (strong lager) and kick in a 7%, one be careful of especially when available on draught!:D

I can vouch for the quality of Dreher Bak as I sit here sipping a bottle; 7.3% ABV about a euro a 500ml Bottle and just great. The wine isn't bad either. Haven't tried the Unica yet which is a Jagermeister type drink but there's another week to go yet!

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've found them to be quite a good treatment for culture shock. When you're wandering around an Asian city and you want food and beer and for it not to be an ordeal for once Irish bars can be a godsend. And they usually have local beer as well as overpriced Diageo stuff.

Asia fair enough, but every night on the trot on a long weekend in Europe is what I've seen people do and that ain't healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Remember arany azok being pretty horrible bad lager.

Red wine and coke "vörösboros kóla" is pretty good if your going to get wrecked

Bring back some unicum for your friends so they can taste one of the nastiest drinks ever.

The wine is good if u like red and very cheap. if your in Budapest this website is pretty good

http://www.pestiside.hu/nightlife/

Advertisement