Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on situation.

Options
  • 25-08-2010 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

It's simple enough but I don't know what I'm entitled to. I was informed a few months ago by my landlord that he was selling the house I'm now living in. It's on the market and he can't really tell me anymore than that. He's dropped the rent which is nice but now I'm looking to move. My lease isn't up but I don't feel like sitting on my hands when the house will be sold.
    Considering they are trying to sell the house would I have any reason to get my deposit back? I know the landlord won't give it back out of the goodness of his heart.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jkiss

Are there viewings taking place and are you accommodating to the viewings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There have been one or two viewings to my knowledge but I've been at work. I'm not kept informed on this kind of thing by the landlord. I've had one or two calls from tradesmen telling me they had appointments to look at the place without my knowledge. They don't mind passing on numbers for this stuff at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Shryke wrote: »
    There have been one or two viewings to my knowledge but I've been at work. I'm not kept informed on this kind of thing by the landlord. I've had one or two calls from tradesmen telling me they had appointments to look at the place without my knowledge. They don't mind passing on numbers for this stuff at least.

This is cause in itself for you to legitimately termainate the lease early. Apart from this, if I were in your position I would be very unhappy about it. The landlord is not entitled to set foot in the property without your knowledge and consent for viewings. Is the tenancy registered with the PRTB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I couldn't tell you Wyndham. Is there a way for me to check? I'm glad I'm somewhat in the right on this. The deposit still is my money and it's not spare change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

How long have you been living there?

Normal practice is for the tenant(s) to sign part of the PRTB registration form but it is possible for the landlord to register the tenancy without you doing so. If it was registered you should have received notification from PRTB of same. You could also check the register as provided on their website, but they are slow to update this. Also can be checked by phoning them for a more up to date position. My hunch is that it isn't registered because you don't know anything about it.

Are there any other reasons for wanting to move besides the fact that the property is on the market? If the house and rent are ok otherwise, I wouldn't see it as a big issue, provided they are reasonable with viewings and don't let themselves in when they feel like it/without asking you. You should have plenty of notice should the house be sold anyway as it would probably go sale agreed for several weeks/months before closing and you are entitled to minimum notice period anyway.
    Use the possibility of viewings as leverage to get a cheaper rent.
    After all, it is in the interest of the owner to work with you so that you will have the place reasonably clean and tidy for viewings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement