Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laurel

Options
  • 25-08-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

where's the best place to buy? how much does it cost? and at what density would i have to plant them at to get a nice box hedge?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When you say box hedge, I presume you mean one cropped closely into a square top/flat sides. Usually a box hedge means one made from buxus or box, a shrub with a tiny leaf which is very suitable for trimming square.

The problem with laurel is that it has very big leaves, and if you just cut it you end up with a lot of sliced leaves, which gives a very rough appearance.

Are you sure it is laurel you mean, how big do you want the hedge to be and how formal do you want it to look?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Bay Laurel and Portugese Laurel can be clipped tight and provide dense hedge. Cost and spacing will depend on size of plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

True, they have a much smaller leaf than the traditional spotted laurel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My advice would be to wait a couple of months until they're available as bare root plants because they'll be so much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dandruff_ie

here is a great site I think you will find there prices are good

http://www.plarkin.ie/hedging.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

thanks everyone so far...good advice
    @looksee... when i say a box hedge i dont mean a real dense one,just something with a bit of shape

Advertisement