Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level French!

Options
  • 25-08-2010 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

if you've done ordinary level french in 5th year, can you sit the higher level paper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yes but be warned there is a serious amount of work required to try to get up that HL standard. I tried it for German and wasn't successful and ended back in OL German after the mocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

megsers wrote: »
    if you've done ordinary level french in 5th year, can you sit the higher level paper?
    Yes you can. My teachers approach was to do all the OL course in 5th year then do the HL stuff after.I got a b1 so as long as you work you can do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

If you asked this of Ordinary Maths, Irish or English or any of the sciences, I would tell you forget it. But in terms of languages, it is definitely possible to move up. You will have to work at it though. At higher level you are expected to have a broader vocab range, a better understanding of the tenses and able to use them correctly, the reading comprehensions will be longer, direct from French magazines and the questions will be more challenging and your written will need to impress.
    But talk with your teacher if you feel you are ready and can handle it and Im sure they can help you. As already said, say after Christmas, you feel like you are drowning, you can just go back to the Ordinary paper.

French is a lovely subject; if you like it. But i guess one could say that about any of em. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

depends, why did you drop to OL in the beginning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 megsers

depends, why did you drop to OL in the beginning?
    I had a bad teacher for junior cert but I got a much better one for ordinary level and I've gotten A's all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

megsers wrote: »
    I had a bad teacher for junior cert but I got a much better one for ordinary level and I've gotten A's all year.

The fact that you have got all A's in french at ordinary level may indicate that you are capable for Higher level. I will say though at leaving cert french level there is a huge difference between higher and ordinary level.

You might get a better idea by looking at the Higher Level past exam papers just to see the topics and requirements of the written exam.

By all means though, if your determined to work at it you will receive the grade you deserve. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Yeh can decide on the day of the exam if yeh want

Advertisement