Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What'd be the best 460 I can get?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

I am returning my 5830 to Komplett for a refund, so I decided to get a 460 to replace it.

I was thinking of http://www.ebuyer.com/product/227182 but I can't decide which one, I know I want a 1GB version though. Would this be a good one to choose? Are Palit good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah I'm buying the same one on Friday, its supposed to be very good. Google " geforce 460gtx roundup" and you will find a review of it against other 460's

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/

Here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I usually just get the cheapest non-overclocked gpu and get an aftermarket cooler, then oc it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I usually just get the cheapest non-overclocked gpu and get an aftermarket cooler, then oc it myself
    This'd be my second GPU on my first Computer, I don't think I want to take my GPU apart just yet, I really right now just want something that doesn't crash every hour.

CombatCow wrote: »
    Yeah I'm buying the same one on Friday, its supposed to be very good. Google " geforce 460gtx roundup" and you will find a review of it against other 460's

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/

Here :)

Thanks :) Although that's the Sonic Platinum edition in that article, the one I want to get is the cheaper Sonic edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

I'd throw out the extra 20 quid on the sonic platinum tbh, that little extra boost should make it slightly more future proof. Not like its a *massive* difference in price either.

• Advertisement

I'd throw out the extra 20 quid on the sonic platinum tbh, that little extra boost should make it slightly more future proof. Not like its a *massive* difference in price either.

You mean that same boost I can get my moving a slider in a program? I'll save the €20 thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

You aren't going to get a refund - not anytime soon anyway, your best bet is they muck you around for a couple of months testing etc. and end up giving you a refund if you keep plaguing ryan on the forum.

I'm not sure where you stand anyway returning a product which has an a built in issue with the product as opposed to an actual defect with your specific one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thanks :) Although that's the Sonic Platinum edition in that article, the one I want to get is the cheaper Sonic edition.

Sorry didn't realise, saw the article a few days ago....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Lu Tze wrote: »
    You aren't going to get a refund - not anytime soon anyway, your best bet is they muck you around for a couple of months testing etc. and end up giving you a refund if you keep plaguing ryan on the forum.

I'm not sure where you stand anyway returning a product which has an a built in issue with the product as opposed to an actual defect with your specific one.
    +1 on that if you want to be without a gpu for a couple of month,s work away

massy086 wrote: »
    +1 on that if you want to be without a gpu for a couple of month,s work away

I'm going to be ordering the 460 as soon as I am given the OK to send it in for a refund.

• Advertisement

Although not related to returns, these two lads got there refunds: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056009010

Oh i did as well, one took about 4-5 months (PSU RMA-ed, twice!) and cancelled order (due to misrepresenting stock levels on website) what took about a month and a lot of hassling them. They only put it through as they were putting another order through that they cancelled on me.

Serisousky though, you are looking at 2 months minimum, 1 for refund, and 1 for RMA to look at it (thats being generous).

I just want the refund, don't care about what happens to it afterwards :P

I am really not happy with the issues I've had with this card. It makes some older games completely unplayable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Legally I'm pretty sure a new part that cannot perform to its baseline specification = defective. Its a breach of contract if you will, thus voiding it. The silicon may be good for 799MHz, or 700MHz, or 70MHz, but if it fails to comply with the stated 800MHz rating it should never have been allowed to get through QC and onto a card. I'm guessing the die was only borderline and actually being run on a physical PCB has dragged it that little bit out-of-spec :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    Legally I'm pretty sure a new part that cannot perform to its baseline specification = defective. Its a breach of contract if you will, thus voiding it. The silicon may be good for 799MHz, or 700MHz, or 70MHz, but if it fails to comply with the stated 800MHz rating it should never have been allowed to get through QC and onto a card. I'm guessing the die was only borderline and actually being run on a physical PCB has dragged it that little bit out-of-spec :o

So are you sure I'm going to be able to get the refund?

So are you sure I'm going to be able to get the refund?

Depends if they can replicate it in their RMA labs presumable?

Probably will run it through a stability test (which it even passes at 875/1200) and say "meh, it works. NO REFUND FOR VENOMIRELAND!!!!!*"

*may be dramatic

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I hate intermittent stability problems!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Does overclocking void the warranty?
    which it even passes at 875/1200

Best of luck with it anyway - but you aren't guaranteed a refund either way i would imagine

Solitaire wrote: »
    I hate intermittent stability problems!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Yeah, I fucking hate this card for that, it passes stability tests fine, no overheating, no artifacting, nothing. Yet in some games it crashes like mad.

• Advertisement

Does overclocking void the warranty?

Best of luck with it anyway - but you aren't guaranteed a refund either way i would imagin

I don't think overclocking with CCC does.

Thanks, I hope to get a response from Komplett about it tomorrow.

Damn, I'm really feeling nervous about this whole thing now :(

EDIT: wow, just noticed I have over 1k posts now, but I'm too nervous to feel happy about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

I haven't had a hands on or a direct report from Colorful, PoV, PNY and Inno3D, so I can't say nething about these.

Best standard 460 I know of is the one from Leadtek (VRM cooler, P03 state in it's BIOS, fan goes down to 20% in idle). All others are missing at least 1 of these things.
    Other good ones are the Gigabyte OC or MSI Cyclone (both custom layout).
    *see edit 2*

Customizing wasn't even necessary because the 460's reference design is outstanding, but nearly all brands with a custom layout ruined the cards. Especially the EVGA or Zotac AMP! are disappointments here, I wouldv'e expected something better from them.

Worst I know of are the Palit/Xpertvision/Gainward which are extremely noisy and are getting really hot. I'm talking about 110°C and more on the VRMs here, no kidding. The Sparkle had this problem, too, but there now is something like a 'Rev.2' out there with a VRM heatsink.

edit: They all overclock like hell! 800MHz is no problem with any of those cards, so no need for a pre-OCed version

edit2: I stand corrected: I just read that the ASUS DirectCu goes down to 20% too and also has a VRM cooler, just like the Leadtek. But since the ASUS Cu comes pre-OCed, it is quite pricy compared to the Leadtek.

This one seems good and is much more affordable than the Palit one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/232853

Plus I have a Gigabye MoBo so I'm slightly biased :P

Well, today is a new day, so I just have to hope I get a response from Ryan about this whole issue, if I don't get a refund I should still be entitled to a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-sli-geforce-gtx-480,2694.html

This is what im going for, gona get two oc editions :o

Sorry for cross posting but 90% performance boost is just sick, plus they crush the 480

Well, today is a new day, so I just have to hope I get a response from Ryan about this whole issue, if I don't get a refund I should still be entitled to a replacement.

Just to let you know, Ryan hasn't posted a comment since the 20th...

Just to let you know, Ryan hasn't posted a comment since the 20th...

Exactly why I'm still worried :(

To be fair though, he does get a lot of abuse when he's trying to help people.

Hey, anyone know where I can grab an anti-static bag from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i think your mad even thinking about rma,ing it with komplett they will have your card for months if i was you go straight to who,ever make,s your card they will be quicker and they will just send you back a new card then sell the new card on adverts and buy yourself a 460

Advertisement