Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFH Pipe Repair

• 25-08-2010 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I need some advice... I managed to damage the qualpex barrier pipe that is buried in the screed floor whilst moving a waste pipe.

We tried to fit a replacement section of the pipe using two compression fittings but there appeared to be a minor leak, the use of ptfe appears to stop it but I think it is the wrong way and it will come back to bite me in ass at some point.

What are the correct fittings I need and where might I get them ?

The UFH pipe is blue and appears to have fairly thick walls. I think it is a 20mm pipe...

Any help greatly appreciated !

Best regards, Peter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Did you use inserts?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

No, I didn't use inserts ? I assume we should ?

P.

Always use inserts in pex pipe. I'm not sure what type of comp. fitting you used as I have only installed quality plastic underfloor pipe and have used metric comp.fittings and inserts for repairs.
    The system should be pressure tested after repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Peter, with new fittings, rings and inserts you dont need ptfe, it only gets in the way:)

You may want to wrap the brass compression fittings in a thin piece of insulation to allow for expansion

RThe crowd who supplied the pie will have the correct fittings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If its blue pipe its the metric pipe. You can buy a range of fittings called phillmac and they come with metric and imperial adaptors just in case.

btw. i doubt very much its qualpex as its blue.

if you phone a company called EPH in cork they will give you there sister company philmacs number. Then phone philmac and ask for your nearest agent.

• Advertisement

Okay, I have managed to confirm that its a 20mm pipe with 4mm wall and you do need the fittings with the inserts to seal it properly. No one seems to know where these can be sourced though.

I contacted philmac but they just advised me to try a few hardware stores who in turn where clueless. They gave DPL as a stockist so will try them at 2 pm...

P.

Folks,

I am still fighting with this....

This is the actual pipe....

http://www.warmteservice.nl/product/34050016/vloerverwarming/vloerverwarming-slang/wth-v-v-leiding-diffusiedicht-rol-ad-40-mtr.do

Is there anywhere in the country that would have fittings that will work with this ?

Or maybe if I used the following fitting with a normal compression fitting would it work ?

http://www.hgvdirect.co.uk/catalog/pack-tube-inserts-16mm-dia-pipe-12mm-id-p-40074.html

Forgive me if that's a dumb question....

P.

Those inserts appear to for automotive use, my advice would be to take a piece of the pipe to a few plumbing suppliers (avoid DIY stores B&Q etc.) and trial fit, make sure the insert are a good/snug fit,its important to pressure the system (3bar) after repairs.
    Failing that get a plumber with experience of general repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Barretts in Maynooth (just off the M4 off ramp) or Heatmerchants might be the places to look for those fittings.

Barretts in particular always seem to have whatever plumbing fitting I need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

That looks like soft wall pipe if so your going to have to look at someone like pirtek or an automative supplier as suggested above if thats the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

heres your solution
    http://www.rehau.co.uk/building.solutions/underfloor.heating/pipe.and.jointing.techniques/jointing.instructions.shtml

although red, the rehau pipe is available in the same 16mm diamater as your pipe
    heatmerchants stock the fittings and will rent/lend you the jointing tool .
    (you might want to say it is rehau pipe in your house).
    just get 2 fittings and put in a new small section of pipe

Hi xt40,

The rehau pipe is 20 x 1.9 or 16 x 1.5 ....

The WTH pipe is actually 20 x 3.4 .... it looks to be a real oddball spec and has me tearing my hair out to be honest. The original suppliers were warmfloor in Dungannon... so I am really goosed unless I get a response from the crowd in the Netherlands....

Thanks for trying though !

;)

P.

I managed to get the fittings from the company above by wiring them the money and then arranging shipment via TNT.

The pipe is WTH PE40 and have some spare if anyone ever find themselves stuck....

Thanks for all the suggestions !

Best regards, Peter.

Advertisement