Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex- PDF in the RDF

• 25-08-2010 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Recruits are taken into the army as required. At present recruits sign on for a fixed term of five years in the PDF followed by a further period of seven years in the Reserve. On completion of five years permanent service a member may be permitted to extend the terms of his/her permanent service.

Does this actually happen, are ex-pdf on paper as RDF for 7 years in the reserve.

I was wondering could anyone enlighten me more on ex-pdf in the rdf, has an ex-pdf officer ever joined the rdf.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

In my understanding there are 2 lines of Reserve, First and Second.

First line being ex-PDF members who when finished their contracts in the PDF can be called back into the Reserve in times of need, ie National Emergency.

The Second line is people like myself,recruited straight into the RDF from civvie street.

I could be wrong on this but I'am sure some of the other memebers here will set me straight if thats the case :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Yep that's it, but you can get ex PDF serving in the RDF. I know at least one. He's an officer medic now in the RDF.

Then there was my former boss, he was an ex PDF Commandant, every year he would do two weeks back at his old job in Baldonnel. It was weird seeing him turn up in the office in uniform because we were just beside Bal.

Advertisement