Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a job

Options
  • 25-08-2010 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hey, I am just wondering does anyone know where or how I should start looking for a job in Galway? I'm starting University around the 11th of september and I'm new to city life. I'm going to need a job to keep my head on my shoulders and survive college life. Being a 17 year old girl, from a rural area I don't have much experience at these things and would genuinely appreciate any advice, tips and suggestions that you people can offer. please Help!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Print off a crap load of CV's and start handing them in anywhere and everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hey, I am just wondering does anyone know where or how I should start looking for a job in Galway? I'm starting University around the 11th of september and I'm new to city life. I'm going to need a job to keep my head on my shoulders and survive college life. Being a 17 year old girl, from a rural area I don't have much experience at these things and would genuinely appreciate any advice, tips and suggestions that you people can offer. please Help!

dare i say it but foreigners have taken most of the part time work.

MacDonalds (if you can get in). good pay, good conditions, nice customers. supermacs less so. these jobs have recently become good enough for the native Irish again.

pub work?

Dunnes? )hours can be quite flexible

you will get a bit of work around college but the hours zou get wonät support you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Fuinseog wrote: »
    dare i say it but foreigners have taken most of the part time work.

these jobs have recently become good enough for the native Irish again

-yes "they" have taken and nobody gave them those jobs... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Jobs thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055875337

don't about getting a part time job. i asked around at the start of the summer but couldn't find anything :/ dunno if the situation's changed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

There's loads of places around town looking for staff right now so start looking straight away. I'd say just print off a ton of copies of your CV and hand them in everywhere, even for crappy jobs, if you get something you really don't like you can always leave. Keep trying, it took me months to find a part time job, most places want full time staff or staff who can work days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

As others have said, print off the cvs and start blitzing town with them asap! No. 1 rule is don't get disheartened if you don't hear back straight away. Also try absolutely everywhere! I was lucky enough to work in 2 places over the summer and honestly I didnt think I would be in with a shot with either of them. The jobs are there you just have to work quite hard to find them. Don't buy into the stupid notions that the 'foreigners' took our jobs, thats just sour grapes tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Asmodean wrote: »
    As others have said, print off the cvs and start blitzing town with them asap! No. 1 rule is don't get disheartened if you don't hear back straight away. Also try absolutely everywhere! I was lucky enough to work in 2 places over the summer and honestly I didnt think I would be in with a shot with either of them. The jobs are there you just have to work quite hard to find them. Don't buy into the stupid notions that the 'foreigners' took our jobs, thats just sour grapes tbh.

+1
    Anyone who uses that as an exuse ought to get a reality check

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

El_Drago wrote: »
    +1

Agree, the foreigners who took the jobs were those that the Irish wouldn't dare take during the boom period because they felt it was beneath them. And many of those "foreigners" have held onto these jobs, fair play to them.

dec25532 wrote: »
    Agree, the foreigners who took the jobs were those that the Irish wouldn't dare take during the boom period because they felt it was beneath them. And many of those "foreigners" have held onto these jobs, fair play to them.

well, the time have changed. now we want and need these jobs. the Poles would have little time for paddy taking their jobs in Poland.

well, the time have changed. now we want and need these jobs. the Poles would have little time for paddy taking their jobs in Poland.

Thanks God its not that simple and almost every adult person is aware of that. (except people like you apparently who blame everyone around but not themselfs for their failures).

• Advertisement

Fortunately,the real world doesn't work like that.One of the criteria we have to accept as part of the EU is that europeans have the same rights as the Irish.There's nothing stopping you from getting the next flight to Poland to find work,so why should it be any different for them?

Fortunately,the real world doesn't work like that.One of the criteria we have to accept as part of the EU is that europeans have the same rights as the Irish.There's nothing stopping you from getting the next flight to Poland to find work,so why should it be any different for them?

do you really believe the average Polish employer will hire Irish people over locals?
    i am sure some students are thrilled that jobs that could be open to them have been taken by foreigners.

do you really believe the average Polish employer will hire Irish people over locals?
    i am sure some students are thrilled that jobs that could be open to them have been taken by foreigners.

Have you gone over to Poland and seen this first hand,or is just speculation?By the way,I'm a student who is doing a master's at NUIG this year and I'm also looking for a job.However,you don't hear me whinging that anyone who's not Irish took "my" job.

Just my last word, because its not related to the subject.
    What do you know about "average Polish employer ? I am 100% sure most of them judge by skills not where you come from and if you would only have enough experience and speak polish :D you would have just the same chances of getting any job. There is many irish people teaching English in Poland by the way and they get jobs before polish (even qualified but not native speakers).
    Can you imagine what would happen if all polish people would leave Ireland at once? Thousands of empty houses on loans and nobody to rent them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

+1

Reality check requested:
    Net immigration 2000-2008 404,600 (CSO figures)
    Current unemployment: 452,000 (DSW figures.)

This isn't to say that it's impossible to find a job (though it's not been as hard in decades) nor that foreigners 'took' jobs from Irish people.

But it does mean that immigration (and EU rules preventing nations from prioritising their own citizens) have made it harder for Irish people to find jobs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

where or how I should start looking for a job in Galway?

You should go around to the local businesses and talk to anyone you can (manager preferably). I'd say there are so many CVs being handed in to places that it will be hard for yours to stand out, especially if you have little experience.

I suggest you go the e.g. shops you like, and speak to the owner and ask them to consider you for some hours if ever they need someone.

If you can come accross as someone who is personable, pleasant and nice you are more likely to get a call if something comes up.

Basically, I think you need to get out there, talk to the boss and impress!

Also, a lot of the bars will be looking for promo staff, e.g. Coyotes are now, but that work may not suit lots of people.

You should go around to the local businesses and talk to anyone you can (manager preferably). I'd say there are so many CVs being handed in to places that it will be hard for yours to stand out, especially if you have little experience.

I suggest you go the e.g. shops you like, and speak to the owner and ask them to consider you for some hours if ever they need someone.

If you can come accross as someone who is personable, pleasant and nice you are more likely to get a call if something comes up.

Basically, I think you need to get out there, talk to the boss and impress!

Also, a lot of the bars will be looking for promo staff, e.g. Coyotes are now, but that work may not suit lots of people.

she can speak English. that is a plus.

Maja wrote: »
    Just my last word, because its not related to the subject.
    What do you know about "average Polish employer ? I am 100% sure most of them judge by skills not where you come from and if you would only have enough experience and speak polish :D you would have just the same chances of getting any job. There is many irish people teaching English in Poland by the way and they get jobs before polish (even qualified but not native speakers).
    Can you imagine what would happen if all polish people would leave Ireland at once? Thousands of empty houses on loans and nobody to rent them?

well given that Poles hate Jews and gays, I cannot imagine them being open to the Irish. I have encountered several of them complaining about the foreigners in galway.
    poles get jobs here although their English is very poor. i doubt i could get a job in a Polish restaurant with broken Polish.
    if they left in the morning there would be a lot of empty houses and the rent would drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

She could probably get away with just being able to point for the Coyotes promo work!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

By that logic "Paddy" (and Patricia) should f*** off home from Australia, New Zealand, Canada .. and England too, for that matter.

FWIW, I was recently delighted to see new Eastern European staff on the desk at the gym and the checkout in Dunnes: for quite some time now, the only new staff there have been Irish. If the EE's are getting those jobs now, it means things have started moving again, which is A Good Thing (TM) for all of us.

OP, there are lots of shops in town with signs up. This includes the empty shop next to Bueno Appetito (spelling, schmelling!) on Upper Abbeygate St which is apparently going to open as a Cornish pasty joint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Good to see that racism & xenophobia are alive & well in Galway !.

OP please forget about CV's. You have a choice of following the herd & handing out hundreds of CV's that will never be read or being individual by knocking on doors.

Enthusiasm is contagious & it can't be taught. Find somewhere that you would like to work & then show them that you are the right person. Look right, sound right & you will be well ahead of the competition. Show that you are reliable & trustworthy & you will go to the top of the pile.

well given that Poles hate Jews and gays, I cannot imagine them being open to the Irish. I have encountered several of them complaining about the foreigners in galway.
    poles get jobs here although their English is very poor. i doubt i could get a job in a Polish restaurant with broken Polish.
    if they left in the morning there would be a lot of empty houses and the rent would drop.

What you have wrote just proves and shows how ignorant you are! What do you mean by "Poles hate Jews and gays" -how would you feel if i would say that " Irish are drunks"??? Just because in every American movie Irish are drunks ? I just think the same as you -thats not true!
    So why you generalize?
    I am polish and i DO NOT HATE JEWS AND GAYS i hate ignorance.

"if they left in the morning there would be a lot of empty houses and the rent would drop"

-there would be also A LOT of houses taken by banks due to not paid loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

was'nt there uproar in the irish independant about a year ago cause building sites in poland hanging signs saying " no dogs no irish"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Maja wrote: »
    What you have wrote just proves and shows how ignorant you are! What do you mean by "Poles hate Jews and gays" -how would you feel if i would say that " Irish are drunks"??? Just because in every American movie Irish are drunks ? I just think the same as you -thats not true!
    So why you generalize?
    I am polish and i DO NOT HATE JEWS AND GAYS i hate ignorance.

"if they left in the morning there would be a lot of empty houses and the rent would drop"

-there would be also A LOT of houses taken by banks due to not paid loans.

The Irish are drunks...but thanks for sticking up for us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

JustMary wrote: »
    By that logic "Paddy" (and Patricia) should f*** off home from Australia, New Zealand, Canada .. and England too, for that matter.

FWIW, I was recently delighted to see new Eastern European staff on the desk at the gym and the checkout in Dunnes: for quite some time now, the only new staff there have been Irish. If the EE's are getting those jobs now, it means things have started moving again, which is A Good Thing (TM) for all of us.

OP, there are lots of shops in town with signs up. This includes the empty shop next to Bueno Appetito (spelling, schmelling!) on Upper Abbeygate St which is apparently going to open as a Cornish pasty joint.

If I was in Australia or New Zealand I probably would be thinking they should f**k off home. Even the best we have seem to act their worst when they are over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

English isn't always necessarily an advantage. For example, I really wish I wasn't able to speak English when I read any of your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

im looking for someone to do a little barwork and table waitiing and cleaning in the bearna area but involves early midweek and weekend shifts. and you'd need your own transport. anyone interested pm me

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The Irish are drunks...but thanks for sticking up for us

You are just such drunks like Germans, Poles and and other nations and considering weather :rolleyes: there is excuse.

Reality check requested:
    Net immigration 2000-2008 404,600 (CSO figures)
    Current unemployment: 452,000 (DSW figures.)

This isn't to say that it's impossible to find a job (though it's not been as hard in decades) nor that foreigners 'took' jobs from Irish people.

But it does mean that immigration (and EU rules preventing nations from prioritising their own citizens) have made it harder for Irish people to find jobs in Ireland.

Those figures are totally misleading.How about you post the yearly unemployment rates from 2000-2010. You'll find that at the height of the immigrant influx, there was little difference in the yearly unemployment rate.Then, all of a sudden, it more than doubled in 2009 and 2010 as compared to any other year this decade (CSO figures).That alone should sound "credit crunch" alarm bells, not "they took all of our jobs" ones.Obviously now with far fewer jobs and widespread unemployment it's more difficult to get a job.However,in reality,immigrants never posed as much of a threat to our jobs since their arrival as many of us like to think. Come to think about, many immigrants have left over the last few years and still unemployment rises.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Those figures are totally misleading.

You're querying them? Check the CSO. That's where they came from. You'll find they're entirely accurate.
    How about you post the yearly unemployment rates from 2000-2010. You'll find that at the height of the immigrant influx, there was little difference in the yearly unemployment rate.Then, all of a sudden, it more than doubled in 2009 and 2010 as compared to any other year this decade (CSO figures).That alone should sound "credit crunch" alarm bells, not "they took all of our jobs" ones.

You really didn't read my post, did you?
    I said that with the scale of recent immigration, it is obviously harder for Irish people, especially the young who lack work experience, to find employment in Ireland currently in this economic downturn, due to the fact that there are so many non-nationals in employment here.
    That's self-evident, especially in relation to accession state immigration. The countries which opened their borders to accession state nationals (us, the UK, Sweden) are also the ones with some of the highest unemployment currently and the biggest economic problems. That's not coincidence.

Obviously now with far fewer jobs and widespread unemployment it's more difficult to get a job.However,in reality,immigrants never posed as much of a threat to our jobs since their arrival as many of us like to think.

How do you quantify that? Have you measured people's perceptions of their employment opportunities and correlated that data with immigrant employment rates? Or are you just blowing smoke out of your rear end?
    Come to think about, many immigrants have left over the last few years and still unemployment rises.....

Take a look around. Many IRISH people have left over the last few years because they cannot find work. That's the result of the global downturn, compounded by catastrophic government policies in Ireland.
    And yet many hundreds of thousands of non-Irish nationals remain in employment here, while similar numbers of Irish, especially the young, cannot find work.
    The purpose of a state is to serve its citizens. When it ceases to prioritise their needs, it fails its purpose. By facilitating mass immigration (and lying about it at the time) and then compounding a recession, this government has betrayed the young people of Ireland, who ought to be making the coffees rather than Polish graduates who are overeducated for the task who are staying here because there's no work in their own country.

Tl;dr version: Irish kids can't get work in the recession and have to emigrate because they cannot compete with overeducated experienced foreign workers who came here during the boom and are staying because there is no work in their own countries.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement