Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a job

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

If you want to blame someone, for the state that Ireland is in, blame yourselves because the majority of you voted for the government. The citizens of Ireland have voted in a succession of corrupt governments that have ruined the country yet some choose to say that it is all the fault of immigrants.

Immigrants are an easy target to blame - as Hitler knew. It's all the fault of "Johnny Foreigner".

Recession or not, many Irish people rely on being able to get work in other countries. Our parents experienced dreadful racism & we, of all people, should know how it feels to be on the receiving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

The Arabica in Knocknacarra has a "Help Wanted" sign up. It may be a little far out if you are studying in town and have no car, but the bus stops there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

I said that with the scale of recent immigration, it is obviously harder for Irish people, especially the young who lack work experience, to find employment in Ireland currently in this economic downturn, due to the fact that there are so many non-nationals in employment here.

The purpose of a state is to serve its citizens. When it ceases to prioritise their needs, it fails its purpose. By facilitating mass immigration (and lying about it at the time) and then compounding a recession, this government has betrayed the young people of Ireland, who ought to be making the coffees rather than Polish graduates who are overeducated for the task who are staying here because there's no work in their own country.
    Irish kids can't get work in the recession and have to emigrate because they cannot compete with overeducated experienced foreign workers who came here during the boom and are staying because there is no work in their own countries.

Recent immigration? Recently (last 2 years?) More Polish people left Ireland then came here! I know at least 5 couples/families myself and i see whats going on around.
    So what would be the best solution for you? Let immigrants to come and work when they were needed (during the boom) and tell them to go home when they are not needed anymore?
    Dont talk nonsense. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Maja wrote: »
    So what would be the best solution for you? Let immigrants to come and work when they were needed (during the boom) and tell them to go home when they are not needed anymore?
    Dont talk nonsense. :pac:

Why is that nonsense? That's what many countries do. They have flexible labour markets that accommodate immigration when it is needed to fill jobs, and retract that position when there is a lack of work for their own citizenship.
    They prioritise their citizens over those from other places. If migrant workers are unhappy with that they leave or else pursue citizenship, thereby staking a meaningful claim to their adopted nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

Why is that nonsense? That's what many countries do. They have flexible labour markets that accommodate immigration when it is needed to fill jobs, and retract that position when there is a lack of work for their own citizenship.
    They prioritise their citizens over those from other places. If migrant workers are unhappy with that they leave or else pursue citizenship, thereby staking a meaningful claim to their adopted nation.

Interesting, but i havent heard about anything like that going on anywhere! :rolleyes:
    Do you have any relatives living in US, Canada or Australia? I bet you have. Would you like them to be forced to leave their settled lives over there just becouse of the increase of unemployment?

By the way. I dont know why you are saying Irish workers are not prioritised here. They are. Have you seen all jobs offers saying. "basic Irish language required"? I think most of the young irish people do have at least some basics of irish language...
    -and why on the Polish forum they are saying that its now its easier for a Irish person with Down Syndrome to get job in Tesco then for any immigrant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Take this sh*t to politics, or after hours, or anywhere but here.

/moderation

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement