Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Administration

Options
  • 25-08-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hey I got this as my second choice,I was hoping to do Politics and International but I just missed out.

I know what this course covers and all that an I am interested in it,I was hoping to do it as a Masters originaly but ah well.I'm just curiouse to know is there much discussion about Current Affairs,Political theory/structure etc and a bit of history in it like the other course or is it more so tottaly focused on putting politics into action and law implementation etc.

Also any other first years post here too hah :D:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Generally known as 'pass business' in UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

My arent you a very nice person,well seeing as both courses have quite diffrent moduels I dont see the relevance,this of course being of a more political nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NiallG91

Im goin studyin public admin too :)

I was talking to a second year last night and he saiod He loved it so hopfully we will too ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NiallG91

aww well thats gud, my cousin in limerick told me some of his frends are in there 4th year of it nd dey loved so hopefully it will b good, sur i suppose il see friday in orientation anyways lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I didn't do Public Admin as a degree, but I chose the subject itself as a minor option (I did HPSS). It's a more to do with how the state operates - over the four years you'll cover topics such as state bodies, the civil service, local government, welfare state... The module in the first semester of first year is some amount of theoretical shíte, IIRC - a lot of background info on the formation of public services. I recall having a class at 5pm on a Thursday in the John Holland which was just one of my most painful memories of UL. :rolleyes:

I'm not totally certain about other modules, but overall the course is a good mix of law/politics/business which will set you up nicely for doing a Master's after, if that's what you're thinking as you'll have a nice broad base and you'll know what you're most interested in. Good luck and tell Bríd I say hi...what a legend of a woman! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I showed a group of Public Admin 1st Years around today...were ye in my group?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

NickDrake wrote: »
    Generally known as 'pass business' in UL.

Which in itself is a poorman's law and accounting :p

Mr. K wrote: »
    I showed a group of Public Admin 1st Years around today...were ye in my group?!

Yeah dude I was the fella in the green hoody asking a billion questions hah :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Seloth wrote: »
    Yeah dude I was the fella in the green hoody asking a billion questions hah :p

I remember!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭christmasinjuly

Hi public adminers! I am changed fully today so can anyone tell me what books I need to get p.s I am in first year

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Hi public adminers! I am changed fully today so can anyone tell me what books I need to get p.s I am in first year

well done Christmas nice to see that you got sorted with your situation this early

Just ask he lectures and they will help you.

Ugh I'm going to be missing my first three days of tutorials ><

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Liam.Carroll00

Anyone think this would be a good course to do before graduate law?
    http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=66

Hi does any1 know who the class rep is? because I ve been really sick lately and have missed lectures and tutorials what ll I do also I want to find out who theclass rep is because I would like a hoodie :)

I dont think there is one =/

I was thinking of applying cause I'd like too see a mystery tour or somthing((Like the jumpers hah__,like one with the Politics and Ir or something as theres like less than 15 of us.

Oh there is one,its one of the girls =D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

I know a few people doing public admin and they're getting on well. Isn't Neil Robinson the course leader for it?

Nope its Bernadette Coughlin,Neil is the head of the whole Politics and Public Admin dept though.

Hey if the class rep ever reads this...Organize a feckin party would yeah =P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Lee.m.1229

class party in Feb . ;) . Podge Pond is our class rep.

ahem yes he better be like , ha didn't know you were on this lee mak sure he organises a good one

hah for a course that probably has less than 15 of us now its dead quite :L

Advertisement