Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuition fees and grant

Options
  • 25-08-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

HELP!! Does this mean you can get grant but will have to pay tuition fees yourself?

Note: If you previously attempted an approved Honours Degree course but did not successfully complete it and are now, following a break in your studies of at least five years, returning to pursue an approved course at the same level in 2010-11, you are still considered eligible to apply for a grant.

FROM STUDENT FINANCE WEBSITE
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

If its been 5 years or more since you were last in college then you should get both grant and tuition as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't know - it's not clear, have you asked the college

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Related question, my GF has just completed a level 7 and is now going on to do a level 8, are her fees paid for or does she have to pay for them herself?

Related question, my GF has just completed a level 7 and is now going on to do a level 8, are her fees paid for or does she have to pay for them herself?

No if she completed a degree already then she is on her own.

The state will only pay for you once.

redout wrote: »

Ah I see. Thanks.

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »

are you absolutely sure about this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    are you absolutely sure about this?

As far as I know once you complete a degree then the state will not pay for another. I am taking it that the op is talking about his friend as having completed one degree and now going on to do another degree which I am sure the state will not pay for. If the level 8 is an add-on to the level 7 then that could be an entirely different case altogether but as I said I am quite sure that the state will only pay for you to complete one degree. Best thing to do is call the college or else student finance.

EDIT: I was actually referring to tuition fee's but after reading the student finance website I noticed that it states

Over 23
    You are eligible to apply for a grant if you meet either of the following conditions:

•I am entering an approved Honours Degree course* for the first time

OR

•I am re-entering an approved Honours Degree course* to complete it (for the first time) after a break of three years or more, having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardians, and having previously entered an approved course*

*Approved under either the Higher Education Grants Scheme or the Vocational Education Committee Scholarship Scheme

Under 23
    You are eligible to apply for a grant if you meet the following condition:

•I am entering an approved Honours Degree course* for the first time
    *Approved under either the Higher Education Grants Scheme or the Vocational Education Committee Scholarship Scheme

Note: If you previously attempted an approved Honours Degree course but did not successfully complete it and are now, following a break of at least five years, returning to pursue an approved course at the same level in 2010-11, you are still considered eligible to apply for a grant.

Does an honours degree course include a level 7 or just level 8?

evercloserunion - is your girlfriend doing a 1 year add on? E.g. She is going into the third year or the fourth year?

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    evercloserunion - is your girlfriend doing a 1 year add on? E.g. She is going into the third year or the fourth year?
    Nope, different course altogether. She's done a lvl 7 in DIT, now starting a lvl 8 in UCD. I'm guessing from your question that this makes it less likely for her to get her fees paid than if she was doing an add on?

She's trying to find out herself but it's hard to come by information dealing with her circumstances. Strangely enough, I think she was told by someone (can't remember if they were from UCD or where else) that she was entitled but she would have to "fight for it" which is rather confusing...

• Advertisement

yeah in that case I think that she may have to pay fees

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement