Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did somebody order mobile phones from China?

Options
  • 25-08-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am planning to order on internet 1lot of 5 mobile phones from China and they cost 119$ less then 100e. Do I need to pay custom duty and how much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I think the limit for duty is €22 but Chinese sellers mostly mark things as gifts. You should be very careful though, a lot of phones from China are cheap knock offs. Would you mind posting the link to the item (assuming it's ebay)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

from an item i received from dealextreme, its 21%of the amount over 22 (ie 78) in your case + 6 euros anpost handling fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

id be carefull with buying that...

though as said above most of them from china are marked as gift...never out of about 10 items i got charged duty or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I would be very careful ordering anything from a seller in China that I wasn't very familiar with. Too many horror stories of people being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

website is tradetang.com I dont know how much are they reliable?

• Advertisement

Spipov wrote: »
    from an item i received from dealextreme, its 21%of the amount over 22 (ie 78) in your case + 6 euros anpost handling fee.

What kind of phone did you buy and are you satisfied with quality and performance of the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes wrote: »

Thanks that you told me on time. And what about manydigital.com?

btw look out for some phones too as they only support the older type of sims which are no longer supported in ireland...might leave you with useless phones or ones without high speed internet access

Inadvertently yes. I thought I was ordering from a UK based seller but he was actually a front end for a Chinese operator. I ended up with an east Asian N86 rather than the claimed UK model. Only after receiving it did I check online and saw lots of complaints about this particular seller (despite their high feedback score). Rather than put up with the potential nightmare of returning it I just changed the product code and reflashed with the Euro firmware.

So yes I'd be very wary of Chinese sellers.

• Advertisement

lmao i wouldnt trust em...i looked at their site and i can see so many phones with incorrect branding and specs...btw if you want to buy something like that

buy it off ebay...atleast you will have some sort of protection from fraud...

the phone is more likely gonna be on ebay anyway...its full of knock offs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I got my Samsung Wave from a seller in Hong Kong. I can highly recommend them. I got exactly what I ordered and the seal on the box was intact. They didn't have exactly what I wanted in stock and were bothered enough to hunt down a source and get one in promptly.

They were concerned enough about their service they did a follow up asking whether I was satisfied with the product and their service. It was shipped via Fedex with a tracking number promptly provided.

This is them: http://www.ac-electronic.com/eshop/

I am not affiliated or connected with them in any way, just a satisfied and happy customer.

I should just mention I am in Australia at the moment and so have no idea about import duty and vat likelihood on import to Ireland.

yeah well their selling actual original phones...

if you looked at the site OP posted you would see that their all replica phones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Another thing to be wary of is the batteries. They can be utter death traps. Poor quality and no CE marks.

Personally I would never trust a non-brand phone from China. Even branded phones would have to come from a genuine seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

yeah well their selling actual original phones...

if you looked at the site OP posted you would see that their all replica phones

And for twenty points, name the title of the thread, for a bonus ten points, name which country Hong Kong is part of.

dude take a chill pill...i just pointed out that the website you provided was selling genuine phones rather then replicas which makes a big difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 topriceie

not recommended, save your money and if nothing can stop you think where are you going to sell fake mobiles!

topriceie wrote: »
    not recommended, save your money and if nothing can stop you think where are you going to sell fake mobiles!

travelers always want cheap dodgy stuff :D

Advertisement