Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

BERBA wrote: »
    just signed a new 5 year contract , Levy wont sell him unless its complete crazy money. reckon he'll be happy enough to stay in next couple of years anyhow as long as he getting champo league footie and i think we well equiped to give him that.

All that contract does is guarantee ye a decent fee. Apart from that they're pretty worthless in the modern game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Lawl at all the Spurs fans getting in digs at United.
    Small club.:)
    But, do enjoy the CL for a season, then back to mid-table with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

baz2009 wrote: »

i reckon utd will do well to get 4th tbh if they lose rooney in Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

flahavaj wrote: »
    No but players do now seem to have the right to demand a move once the bigger cubs come sniffing about. And generally they do. It was a long time ago that Giggs was a young fella, a different era. He was also at the biggest club in England at the time, a club he was at since he was a child. Its not hard to see why he'd have stayed.

Yeah but he could have gotten more money on the Continent while playing in a better league so it's not hard to see why there would be an incentive to go abroad...anyway, thats a different story and i'm going off topic.

I don't see why he would go to United, to be honest if i could see him going anywhere it would be Madrid (where they would play him i don't know)

There was a rumour going about a month ago that the reason that VDV went to spurs for so little was that Real have 1st refusal on Bale....

Would make sense but lord knows its just gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Probably not considering both Liverpool and United are much better and bigger clubs than Spurs..:confused:

Sorry, I don't really get this part. Fair enough both clubs are bigger than Spurs, but Liverpool better - you really think so? I guess we'll see at the end of this season but I believe Spurs are a better package than Liverpool at the moment, as they were last season. Utd are better, but currently not significantly so. I'm sure they'll still finish higher than Spurs at the end of the season though.

A grand says United finish top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

we bought Modric Bale and Lennon for a combined fee of 17m and to offset this we sold Carrick to Manyoo for 18.6m. How good is that?

That's a great bit of business alright!

Yeah but he could have gotten more money on the Continent while playing in a better league so it's not hard to see why there would be an incentive to go abroad...anyway, thats a different story and i'm going off topic.

I don't see why he would go to United, to be honest if i could see him going anywhere it would be Madrid (where they would play him i don't know)

There was a rumour going about a month ago that the reason that VDV went to spurs for so little was that Real have 1st refusal on Bale....

Would make sense but lord knows its just gossip.

With the current financial situation at United, I doubt thats where he'll end up (much as I'd love to see it). But if he keeps up this form he'll have clubs like Chelsea and Madrid, who have no shortage of cash after him.

And you couldn't blame the lad for taking the step up to clubs like that to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Bigger LOL at being alive to see United go down the toilet tbh. And the biggest LOL that a "mid-table" teams 3 best players will be better than all of United's once Rooney leaves.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't really get this part. Fair enough both clubs are bigger than Spurs, but Liverpool better - you really think so? I guess we'll see at the end of this season but I believe Spurs are a better package than Liverpool at the moment, as they were last season. Utd are better, but currently not significantly so. I'm sure they'll still finish higher than Spurs at the end of the season though.

Better doesn't necessarily mean current season, imo. History, fans, tradition etc. all play a big part in it, all of which Liverpool surpass Spurs in easily. Some would see it differently, though.

You're great, might keep you around.:)

• Advertisement

Better doesn't necessarily mean current season, imo. History, fans, tradition etc. all play a big part in it, all of which Liverpool surpass Spurs in easily. Some would see it differently, though.

Very insightful. No seriously. Liverpool are waaaay better than Chelsea and City too.

Uppity Spurs fans are such a riot. Played off the park in the San Siro and still mouthing off.

Delusions of grandeur?

Delusions of adequacy more like.:pac:

THFC wrote: »
    Very insightful. No seriously. Liverpool are waaaay better than Chelsea and City too.

Huuuuuuuge difference between Spurs and Chelsea/City. Stop getting ahead of yerselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Uppity Spurs fans are such a riot. Played off the park in the San Siro and still mouthing off.

Delusions of grandeur?

Very easy support one of the successful teams and look down on anybody who doesn't :rolleyes:

(btw i don't follow any team in particular before you take another pot shot at spurs)

Huuuuuuuge difference between Spurs and Chelsea/City. Stop getting ahead of yerselves.

wasnt a huge difference last may when we beat em off the park at wastelands for that coveted 4th spot.

Delusions of grandeur?

Oohh, looks like we've touched a nerve. Some one all sad that this could be United best team for years to come? Seriously, now that I think about it, no top player will want to go to United after what Rooney did. Ah well, dont let the door hit yeh on the way out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

When Giggs was younger United were far from European powerhouses and he was not prized away to much stronger teams in Spain and Italy.

Don't think that bigger teams have an automatic right to sign any player that they want.

This is a very valid point.
    Apparently UTD accepted a bid of £16million for Giggs from Milan in the mid ninties and Giggs turned it down himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Cmon lads. Im a Utd fan, but I have a very large soft spot for Spurs. Stop bickering ffs

wasnt a huge difference last may when we beat em off the park at wastelands for that coveted 4th spot.

Remains to be seen this season, tbh, but City have looked much much stroger than Spurs from what I've seen.
    THFC wrote: »
    Oohh, looks like we've touched a nerve. Some one all sad that this could be United best team for years to come? Seriously, now that I think about it, no top player will want to go to United after what Rooney did. Ah well, dont let the door hit yeh on the way out!

What top player will go to Spurs?
    Don't say VDV, cos no one else seemed to be looking for him.

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Cmon lads. Im a Utd fan, but I have a very large soft spot for Spurs. Stop bickering ffs

I do too, tbh, but some of them are getting too big for their boots.
    Letting down the better Spurs posters, tbh, some very good ones amongst them, imo.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Thank you, if it wasnt for one particular poster I wouldn't have taken any shots at United. And if you have been following my posts (which I very much doubt you or anyone else has!!) you would know I rarely take shots at United, or any club for that matter.

Remains to be seen this season, tbh, but City have looked much much stroger than Spurs from what I've seen.

you not see opening day game at the lane. we gave em a footballing lesson that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

we are a well run profitable club thanks to Danny Levy.

Remember we bought Modric Bale and Lennon for a combined fee of 17m and to offset this we sold Carrick to Manyoo for 18.6m. How good is that?

Would have been pretty good alright. Shame Modric cost you 16m.

I do too, tbh, but some of them are getting too big for their boots.
    Letting down the better Spurs posters, tbh, some very good ones amongst them, imo.

to be fair its easy to support man united , start in 1999 maybe?

maybe i should have said it was easy:D

you not see opening day game at the lane. we gave em a footballing lesson that day

Must have missed it, ah well, one game doesn't prove that.;)

Anywayy fellers, been fun but I may toddle off to bed.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Spurs would have been better off taking the 4-0 loss than having Bale score a hattrick at the San Siro. Every club in Europe will be looking at him now. Seemed completely unfazed by the occasion, unlike his teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Spurs would have been better off taking the 4-0 loss than having Bale score a hattrick at the San Siro. Every club in Europe will be looking at him now. Seemed completely unfazed by the occasion, unlike his teammates.
    I think every club was looking already butI don't think we'll sell him unless he gets down to the last two years of his contract and won't renew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Every club in Europe will be looking at him now.

Every club eh? Right I'm sure Getafe and Grasshopper Zurich are reaching into their pockets as we speak, and bracing themselves for a bidding war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

TheManWho wrote: »
    Every club eh? Right I'm sure Getafe and Grasshopper Zurich are reaching into their pockets as we speak, and bracing themselves for a bidding war.

Great stuff, keep it coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

TheManWho wrote: »

I'd imagine they would if they could.

And if you're being pedantic about it, everyone WILL be watching Bale tonight because he scored a hat-trick against the CL holders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

we are a well run profitable club thanks to Danny Levy.

Remember we bought Modric Bale and Lennon for a combined fee of 17m and to offset this we sold Carrick to Manyoo for 18.6m. How good is that?
    I dont understand your point.

Didnt Modric cost £16.5m, Lennon cost £1m and Bale cost £5m possibly rising to £10m.

Thats £22.5m or £27.5m whatever way you wanna look at it.

Esse85 wrote: »
    I dont understand your point.

Didnt Modric cost £16.5m, Lennon cost £1m and Bale cost £5m possibly rising to £10m.

Thats £22.5m or £27.5m whatever way you wanna look at it.

That still is unbelievable business. All 3 of them would now be worth over 20 million easily. Either Modric or Bale would recoup that money alone.
    Or yeh could swap VDV's fee for Modric's and then it would be even better....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I hate spurs but I'm half welsh, so go Bale... sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I hope the lad stays. Harry has invigorated the lad to become the player he is. Gone are the days when the young left back would roll around on the floor waiting for a replacement hair clip to come onto the pitch.

If he stays he could be a part of something. I think that is the mentality Harry is trying to build. We don't have the history (possibly in cups though), the past glory etc.. but maybe this could be the start of something. We have good infrastructure, management, youth system and support to develop into a truly top team - so if enough players build a rapport and to believe it(by signing new contracts :D) whats to stop Spurs from truly competing with the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Kimsang wrote: »
    whats to stop Spurs from truly competing with the best?

A world class striker like Drogba, Rooney or Torres. Defoe, Crouch, Pavlychenko and Keane are no where near the required quality to compete with best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The lad seems to have the right attitude aswell. The interviewer asked him how he felt after his hattrick at the San Siro, and he said, and clearly looked, utterly disappointed, because the team lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

I just hope we can hold on to him. His interview last night showed that the result meant a bit more to him than the hat-trick.

Hopefully we can keep him out of Man City's grasp. He could be the heart of the Spurs team for the next ten years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

markesmith wrote: »
    I just hope we can hold on to him. His interview last night showed that the result meant a bit more to him than the hat-trick.

Hopefully we can keep him out of Man City's grasp. He could be the heart of the Spurs team for the next ten years.

That's what we'd been saying about Rooney! :D

I like Bale, really has come on leaps and bounds. Seems like a very likeable guy.

Hopefully he doesn't get contaminated by the money that's around the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I think Gareth Bale is very good at football.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

No way he'll be at Spurs next year if they fail to progress up the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

He certainly looks a different player to the one that Redknapp had lined out at left back last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Johner wrote: »
    A world class striker like Drogba, Rooney or Torres. Defoe, Crouch, Pavlychenko and Keane are no where near the required quality to compete with best.

Torres?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Great player i agree but you have to remember it was Maicon he was up against tonight, Inter pretty much played 3 at the back and Maicon up high against one of the most on form left sided player in the world, really really silly thing to do imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

muletide wrote: »
    Torres?

are you saying he isnt world class? if so the door is >>>>

actually dont want to derail the Bale thread. another awesome performance from him tonight.

Le King wrote: »
    No way he'll be at Spurs next year if they fail to progress up the league.

shockin start for us this season but were sitting 5th:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

In fairness if u look at bale in the league he never gets the chance to do what he did tonight. Benitez did nothing to quell his threat. He got enough of a warning last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

muletide wrote: »
    Torres?
    Yes Torres. Go on explain why he is'nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Yes Torres. Go on explain why he is'nt.

Sorry folks, can you direct me to the Garth Bale thread please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

In fairness if u look at bale in the league he never gets the chance to do what he did tonight. Benitez did nothing to quell his threat. He got enough of a warning last week

That's very true, considering how much of a threat Bale was likely to be, it's amazing that Benitez didn't do more to stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Its a fact that the premiership is probably the quickiest in the world in terms of tempo. In the Italian and Spanish leagues the pace is a lot slower. The teams give players too much time and space on the ball. In the premiership defenders/midfielders would be in Bale's face.

Advertisement