Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Well done to Spurs tonight. As a Utd fan, I really enjoyed the way ye passed the ball and Bale was outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bale and evra would be some combo. Hopefully giggs pops around to show him his medals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

A.Cole,Bale and Malouda sounds better. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

RasTa wrote: »
    Bale and evra would be some combo. Hopefully giggs pops around to show him his medals

Bale was outstanding tonight, joy to watch.

Would prefer Bale and Cole myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Pat Dolan nearly jizzed himself describing Gareth Bale's performance tonight.

I nearly jizzed myself watching Bale myself,he was awesome

• Advertisement

Who is his agent? The only way I can see him leaving is if Spurs don't get Champions League football but I'm guessing Levy will play hardball and City will offer 40m+ which everyone will have to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

NickDrake wrote: »
    Well done to Spurs tonight. As a Utd fan, I really enjoyed the way ye passed the ball and Bale was outstanding.

Always nice to hear a Unite fan compliment another team - God knows how rare they are!!:pac:
    Johner wrote: »
    A.Cole,Bale and Malouda sounds better. :)

Tbh BAE and Bale sounds the best! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Only way to stop the squabbling is to have him as part of a forward four next season.

A. Johnson
    Silva
    Bale

Tevez

Having said that, he's been largely sh*te in the league so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't agree that he's been **** in the league. His performances have been good, just not as much end product as there has been in the CL. His pace is really troubling European defences in a way I don't think it would necessarily trouble teams with faster defenders, which tend to be found in the PL.

The guy has talent, the question is can he push on and move into the highest levels for a long period. Right now, he's in the place where SWP or Lennon used to be, showed some amazing performances but yet to really show the consistancy on the highest level. Watching him play though, really a lovely thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I love level headed posters on here, rare and beautiful

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Only way to stop the squabbling is to have him as part of a forward four next season.

A. Johnson
    Silva
    Bale

Tevez

Having said that, he's been largely sh*te in the league so far.

Em, what?? His FF football price was around 6.5 at the start of the season and it rose to 7.2 at one stage, hardly the mark of a player who's had a ****e season...

THFC wrote: »
    Em, what?? His FF football price was around 6.5 at the start of the season and it rose to 7.2 at one stage, hardly the mark of a player who's had a ****e season...

I see, so Fantasy Football is now the metre stick for judging players and their performances.

If you want to use it as a benchmark then ok - he has only scored more than two points once in the last six games and has one assist all season. His two goals also came in the one game.

So that's 10 games, 2 goals and 1 assist. To me that's below average for what we've seen in the CL.

He has also been kept extremely quiet in the last two games by semi decent full backs so that, coupled with your FF criteria, has me standing by my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I see, so Fantasy Football is now the metre stick for judging players and their performances.

If you want to use it as a benchmark then ok - he has only scored more than two points once in the last six games and has one assist all season. His two goals also came in the one game.

So that's 10 games, 2 goals and 1 assist. To me that's below average for what we've seen in the CL.

He has also been kept extremely quiet in the last two games by semi decent full backs so that, coupled with your FF criteria, has me standing by my point.

Come on man, stating that Bale has been ****e in the league is just beyond ridiculous.
    You can throw out whatever stat you pull of any website all you want but the reality of the situation for me is that I have seen him play in numerous league games and he has been far from ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Gareth Bale in full flight is a thing of beauty

Come on man, stating that Bale has been ****e in the league is just beyond ridiculous.
    You can throw out whatever stat you pull of any website all you want but the reality of the situation for me is that I have seen him play in numerous league games and he has been far from ****e.

:confused: I used stats to counter the point that he's been great going by Fantasy Football standards. That clearly isn't the case (he's been in my all season btw so I've obviously been keeping an eye).

How have you rated his last two Premier League games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

:confused: I used stats to counter the point that he's been great going by Fantasy Football standards. That clearly isn't the case (he's been in my all season btw so I've obviously been keeping an eye).

How have you rated his last two Premier League games?
    I thought he did alright against Everton despite being double covered the whole game. Again in the United game he was double covered most of the game with Rafael and Fletcher both on him anytime the ball got near him. He didn't have a very good game against United.

Its something Spurs have to look at, it will happen more often as teams try and counter the threat of him picking the ball up at pace because when he gets up a full head of steam he is very hard to stop. I think Lennon will benefit from this. Tbh I was quite surprised Lennon wasn't used more in the United game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

As good as bale has been I feel he will run out of steam in the second half of the season

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Bale is playing great lately. Been great to watch, great pace, vision and passing.

If he can keep producing those performances and grow as a footballer he could easily be the best winger around.

The only problem is as eagle eye said when he gets double marked. He struggles to adapt he's game. Whether or not it will come to him we'll see as he continues. Rafa obviously didnt do he's research on hes previous games or else he would have seen a much different player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I <3 fact he's Welsh!!!!

Haha little Englanders!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I wouldn't agree Bale has been sh*te in the league so far. Certainly his league performances have been below what we've seen of his CL performances, for a number of already mentioned reasons.

Premiership Defenders: Are much more in your face than any of those on the continent. The kind of football Inter play plays right into his hands, the kind of full back that will sit off and let him build up a head of steam and once he does that he's very hard to stop as unlike other speed merchant wingers such as Walcott or Lennon he's built like a brick sh*thouse so he's very hard to knock of the ball.

Managers recognising his threat: Managers are starting ro realise he's a huge threat on that side for Spurs and are doubling up on him. Force Bale inside and you slash the danger he creates right down. This is a side of his game that needs work on as he's going to be forced inside more and more where he's not very effective.

Double Coverage: Kind of links in with the above point, Utd did this very well. Have your full back (Rafael) hug the touchline and force Bale into the middle where one of your midfielders (Fletcher) can come out to meet him with Rafeal coming in off the touchline once Bale has committed inside.

However I wouldn't say he's been sh*t in the league, managers paying more attention to Bale is great, but does that mean you only leave one man on VDV? Or do you double up on him too and leave Modric/Lennon free? His PL games may not be showing that he's doing what he's doing in Europe, but he's still a very effective cog in the Spurs machine even when he's marked out of a game.

That all said on his current form he's definitely going to attracting attention from big clubs this summer and considering he's just signed a new deal there is absolutely no way Spurs should consider letting him go for anything short of a scandolous amount of money, which Man City will probably offer anyway. The guy is a fcuking thoroughbred, just look at the pace and stamina he showed for Pav's goal last night, you never see him flagging off in a game or shirking his defensive duties. With the right man management he can be a very special player and he's still only very young so has a lot of time to develop.

Also, lol at using someone's Fantasy Football points to evaluate their performances this season.

• Advertisement

No FF is not the metre stick, but when a player rises that much in value then its as obvious as daylight he's had a good season so far. You made a ridiculous statement which was just wrong and now you're trying to back it up with stats that mean fcuk all. Did you watch Tottenham in all their game thus far? Against Everton he was double, if not triple marked and he was just after coming back from Italy. Against United, fair enough, he had a sh1t game, but in every other game himself and van der vaart have been our standout players. And no amount of ****ty facts is gonna change that.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Gareth Bale in full flight is a thing of beauty

flymonk.jpg

sure is :pac:

No FF is not the metre stick, but when a player rises that much in value then its as obvious as daylight he's had a good season so far. You made a ridiculous statement which was just wrong and now you're trying to back it up with stats that mean fcuk all.

Wow hold up, YOU brought up Fantasy Football and the stats around price value. YOU said that was an indication of how he is playing.

All I did was present other Fantasy Football stats which are as relevant as your little nugget. I can assume you're now dismissive of these facts because they don't back up your opinion.

Being selective ftw.
    Did you watch Tottenham in all their game thus far? Against Everton he was double, if not triple marked and he was just after coming back from Italy. Against United, fair enough, he had a sh1t game, but in every other game himself and van der vaart have been our standout players.

I've seen the majority of Premier League games this season, Spurs included (every game is shown live here and I record most to watch back after if there's a clash) and the only game IMO he was excellent in was Stoke away, though he was quite effective against City on the opening day.

Sorry that I'm not waxing lyrical about him like most, I just haven't seen it in the league. And fwiw I've been a fan of his since his Southampton days so there's no bias etc etc involved.
    And no amount of ****ty facts is gonna change that.

But if sh*tty facts don't count why did you bring up the one about his Fantasy Football value? :confused:

Look, I'm sorry but you're wrong. You're just wrong. It's not subjective, go and read through old match threads in the Spurs forum and you'll see what I, and many others are talking about. To say he's been sh*te in the league so far is just wrong, and you're the only one that actually thinks that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

Ladies, put the handbags away

Hes been amazing in Europe, and decent in the Prem. Not difficult!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wow hold up, YOU brought up Fantasy Football and the stats around price value. YOU said that was an indication of how he is playing.

All I did was present other Fantasy Football stats which are as relevant as your little nugget. I can assume you're now dismissive of these facts because they don't back up your opinion.

Being selective ftw.

I've seen the majority of Premier League games this season, Spurs included (every game is shown live here and I record most to watch back after if there's a clash) and the only game IMO he was excellent in was Stoke away, though he was quite effective against City on the opening day.

Sorry that I'm not waxing lyrical about him like most, I just haven't seen it in the league. And fwiw I've been a fan of his since his Southampton days so there's no bias etc etc involved.

But if sh*tty facts don't count why did you bring up the one about his Fantasy Football value? :confused:

Plus, the price rise is to do with the amount of people picking him. I would say his price rise since the Inter game in Italy has been massive, in comparison to any price rise seen before that. I could be wrong though, I don't know if it can be checked.

EDIT: It doesn't even seem that price rise is correct.

According to the PL site Bale's price has risen by 0.2, from 6.5 to 6.7.

The biggest risers are:

Hart 0.6.
    A.Cole 0.7
    Elmohamady 0.6
    Nani 0.9
    Malouda 0.9
    Van Der Vaart 0.6
    Berbatov 0.9

Look, I'm sorry but you're wrong. You're just wrong. It's not subjective, go and read through old match threads in the Spurs forum and you'll see what I, and many others are talking about. To say he's been sh*te in the league so far is just wrong, and you're the only one that actually thinks that.

So if it's not subjective and facts don't count then there's not much left. I'd say I've seen more Spurs games than most non-Spurs fans so I have my opinions which are bound to disagree. If you don't like them that's cool.

Happy to revisit the thread in another 5 or 6 games and see where we are then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Bale is an exceptional talent but lets not get too carried away just yet. He played brilliant against Inter twice but in between those matches were 2 ineffectual performances against Everton and Utd.. He has the talent but he needs to be more consistent.

OptaJoe wrote:
    ‎102 - 102 players have more assists in the Premier
    League than Gareth Bale (0) this season. Hype.

Now, his influence can be seen beyond mere assists and I am sure he has been a positive player for Spurs in more ways over the PL season, but fact is Opta have him down as no assists in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Now, his influence can be seen beyond mere assists and I am sure he has been a positive player for Spurs in more ways over the PL season, but fact is Opta have him down as no assists in the PL.
    It's funny actually that stat Bale has created more scoring Chances this season then any other players with a total conversion rate of 0 amazing really our forwards have been cat so far this season and we have started very poorly in the league

It's funny actually that stat Bale has created more scoring Chances this season then any other players with a total conversion rate of 0 amazing really our forwards have been cat so far this season and we have started very poorly in the league

So to sum up, he has been sh*te so far then... ;)

As I said, the stat of 0 assists doesn't tell the full story, and I do feel Bale has contributed a lot more than that stat would show. But I would still say it shows that his CL form (which has been very noteworthy vs Inter) hasn't been replicated in the league, or consistently in general.

The kid is only 21, and is a fantastic prospect, one I would love to see United sign (but don't feel we will at this point) but I think the hype has gotten out of proportion to the general performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bale's a quality player with bags of potential but he's a tad inconsistent imo. He hasn't wowed me in the league bar that Stoke game. He has however, been fantastic in Europe thus far.

When's the dvd out btw? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Sky Sports have been going crazy about it alright.
    They're probably hoping an "English grandparent" rumour comes out about him

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Bale's a quality player with bags of potential but he's a tad inconsistent imo. He hasn't wowed me in the league bar that Stoke game. He has however, been fantastic in Europe thus far.

Has he been fantastic in Europe thus far though? Genuine question. I know he has been very very very good vs Inter.

Was he actually all that good vs Twente, Bremen, Young Boys (either game)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Has he been fantastic in Europe thus far though? Genuine question. I know he has been very very very good vs Inter.

Excellent in all our games so far I think he had 5 assits against young boys over two games played very well against twente and Bremen too

He's played quite well in the games against Twente and Young Boys. I didn't see the Bremen game so can't comment.

Sky Sports News have a Bale v Messi stat in the corner now showing shots, passes, assists etc.

Jesus I hate them more then the Guardian.

Sky Sports News have a Bale v Messi stat in the corner now showing shots, passes, assists etc.

There aren't enough :rolleyes: in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I remember in the post match interview yesterday they turned to van der Vaart and asked him had he "ever seen a player like this?".

To a Dutch international.... who has Real Madrid on his CV....

ffs, it was like Sky reckoned Bale was the 2nd coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They're still spooging over him on SSN...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Just saw it on SSN, cringe worthy stuff.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

quarryman wrote: »
    I remember in the post match interview yesterday they turned to van der Vaart and asked him had he "ever seen a player like this?".

To a Dutch international.... who has Real Madrid on his CV....

ffs, it was like Sky reckoned Bale was the 2nd coming.

That was funny.

In fairness Bale did seem slightly embarrassed by the question, standing right next to Van Der Vaart like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Don't they usually release one after they win the Champions League :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

amazing

this should be stickied at the top of the forum or something
    They're probably hoping an "English grandparent" rumour comes out about him

well that'd be fúck all good considering he has 27 caps for wales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Could everyone please take themselves out of bales arse and consider this yes I admit his latest performances especially in Europe have been sensational but in the premeriship he's Been decent to good I'm sorry but malouda has been the best wingers so far this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Form Is Temporary-Class is Permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some people don't like the OTT coverage on Bale but personally I like the fact that he's catapulted himself into the spotlight. It's been a while since the football world has had a sensation brought to the fore. I enjoyed reading what the rest of Europe have been saying about him as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/03/gareth-bale-hailed-european-press

I also think his performances in the Premier League have been better than some are making out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

worry about beating fffflllssuusudiovvyuyuu in the europa league tomorrow night lad;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement