Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Yeah, really. Since when do City get to look down on other teams celebrating minor successes?

Especially after this abomination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J8mlsk_SfQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

I agree i kinda got on board with the hype about him and rated him massively for his turn around this season but attacking wise does he really do much more than say I could ( If i had his pace)? . All he really does is knock the ball ahead of him and run. Think we will need to see consistency and a show of how good his defensive side of the game is

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Soby wrote: »
    I agree i kinda got on board with the hype about him and rated him massively for his turn around this season but attacking wise does he really do much more than say I could ( If i had his pace)? . All he really does is knock the ball ahead of him and run. Think we will need to see consistency and a show of how good his defensive side of the game is

:eek:

Bale is about a lot more than running, he's a good passer, tracks back and works hard. He's also quite possibly one of the best crossers of the ball that we've seen in the Premiership in a number of years.

He's a splendid player and a joy to watch. Rarely any play acting either. He's the complete package.

I'm not biased either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

This season in the Premier League will decide his future for him. If he can take that European form in to the PL then we can re-asses. I think his league form has let him down, while it's not been bad at all, it just hasn't been where the praise he's getting would suggest he's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Good lord, what ridiculous hype. Hes had 2 decent performances in the CL. Could you imagine what the hype would be if Giggs was starting his career these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

ricero wrote: »
    Could everyone please take themselves out of bales arse and consider this yes I admit his latest performances especially in Europe have been sensational but in the premeriship he's Been decent to good I'm sorry but malouda has been the best wingers so far this season

Agree with the majority of what you have said except Nani has been the best winger this season!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

KungPao wrote: »
    Wow, he says the same thing in every interview.

Umm, I'm just enjoying my football.

Or

Umm, I'm just me being me, I try to keep my feet on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

KungPao wrote: »

Um, stop the presses, 21yr old shy footballer is not quite sure of what to say on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

When Kiriakov raped Maldini in the Euro96 he was rightly praised, some welsh lad who isnt Giggs raped easily the best RB in the world and deservedly gets praise.

dont think hes 50 million worth but if someone pays well then they think hes worth it.

Still reckon he gets a hug before every match, him and Navas would be the perfect pairing on the wings very similar players.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    When Kiriakov raped Maldini in the Euro96 he was rightly praised, some welsh lad who isnt Giggs raped easily the best RB in the world and deservedly gets praise.

dont think hes 50 million worth but if someone pays well then they think hes worth it.

Still reckon he gets a hug before every match, him and Navas would be the perfect pairing on the wings very similar players.

Bold bit is funny tbh.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Bold bit is funny tbh.

Because there is better?

Because there is better?

At the moment, most definitely, but that wasn't what was funny.

When judging the best player in a certain position, in the WORLD, it will never be easy, and to say someone is easily the best RB in the world is funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

what i found funny was putting Maicon defensively in the same sentence as Maldini defensively.

SlickRic wrote: »
    what i found funny was putting Maicon defensively in the same sentence as Maldini defensively.

This was also quite a funny one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

RasTa wrote: »
    Sky Sports News have a Bale v Messi stat in the corner now showing shots, passes, assists etc.

Jesus I hate them more then the Guardian.

I remember Rooney came on the scene and one newspaper rated him alongside Pele, and their conclusion was that rooney was better! Seems laughable now.

From football 365:
    The Bestest Player EVER!
    Gareth Bale. He's the best footballer in the world, isn't he? That's the impression you get from the blanket coverage in the press after his admittedly terrific performances against Inter Milan.

We'll skip over the valuations in the tabs that would make him the fourth most expensive player of all time because we expect that sort of hyperbole from that quarter, but we can't ignore Patrick Barclay's column in The Times.

To be fair to Barclay - usually the sober, even sometimes dull, wise old man of Fleet Street - he doesn't say Bale is the best in the world. Only the second best...behind Xavi.

Barclay goes on to compare Bale - a 21-year-old with around eight months of good form behind him - favourably to Roberto Carlos, bats off the entirely obvious point that Phil Neville kept Bale very quiet a couple of weeks ago and attempts to fit the caveat 'at the moment...' into every third sentence, as if the the fickle nature of form backs up such a remarkable statement.

While we of course hesitate to quibble with a subjective opinion, we would simply point out that, in the month of October, Cristiano Ronaldo scored an incredible 13 goals in eight games for Real Madrid and Portugal. Leo Messi is lagging behind rather, with just the eight from his last seven.

Goals are obviously not the only important thing in this glorious game of opinions, but it's worth noting that Bale has scored twice in the Premier League this season, and has been credited with zero assists by Opta, backing up the theory that this fuss has been based merely on two games.

Bale is not even the flavour of the month - he's the flavour of two games against Inter Milan. We expected the red tops would go overboard, but perhaps naively we assumed wiser, balder heads such as Barclay's would be more sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Um, stop the presses, 21yr old shy footballer is not quite sure of what to say on TV.

Exactly, he comes across very well in his interviews anyway.

As well as Bale's pace and power his delivery is just first class, it's all well and good beating the defender but it's the final ball that matters in the end.It's actually what is stopping Aaron Lennon from becoming a top top player.

At the moment, most definitely, but that wasn't what was funny.

When judging the best player in a certain position, in the WORLD, it will never be easy, and to say someone is easily the best RB in the world is funny.

What i found was funny was your inability to name someone better.

Didnt see what Kiriakov did to Maldini? ,made him look as good as you at RB.

What i found was funny was your inability to name someone better.

Didnt see what Kiriakov did to Maldini? ,made him look as good as you at RB.
    Ivanovic is playing far better than Maicon this season.

Also, I don't think you're getting what SlickRic meant at all, but I'll leave you to figure that out yourself.

He's not even a natural RB by trade, Ivanovic I mean. Unbelievable player though.

Maicon is pure class, although he's a bit crap this season.

What Bale did to him was still stunning, it doesn't matter how off-form Maicon is, Bale beat him time and time again with absolute ease. Not many players could do that.

• Advertisement

x PyRo wrote: »
    He's not even a natural RB by trade, Ivanovic I mean. Unbelievable player though.

Maicon is pure class, although he's a bit crap this season.

What Bale did to him was still stunning, it doesn't matter how off-form Maicon is, Bale beat him time and time again with absolute ease. Not many players could do that.
    Completely agree with you here, I would say Maicon was one of the best defenders last year, but not "easily" as some people say.

What Bale did was astounding, but people are jumping the gun a good bit rating him the second best player in the world, and putting a price tag of 50-60m on him, it's complete and utter madness tbh.

Completely agree with you here, I would say Maicon was one of the best defenders last year, but not "easily" as some people say.

What Bale did was astounding, but people are jumping the gun a good bit rating him the second best player in the world, and putting a price tag of 50-60m on him, it's complete and utter madness tbh.

Not easily in my opinion either, just slightly better than the Neville brothers. :pac:

He's not in the top 10 players in the world, he's still utter class and if he could replicate anything near that performance every couple of games he'd cover a £50m price tag quite handy but it'll take him a while before he's doing that week in week out, if ever even. I think he's sheer class and has so much potential but most are getting a bit ahead of themselves, it's not fair on him either to have so much pressure on him, very tough on the lad, being so young and all. Seems to have a wonderful attitude though so it might make him even better. Scary. :eek:

I'd still pick Nani ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

He seems to glide up and down the wing. Brilliant burning of Lucio at 3:21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

x PyRo wrote: »
    :eek:

Bale is about a lot more than running, he's a good passer, tracks back and works hard. He's also quite possibly one of the best crossers of the ball that we've seen in the Premiership in a number of years.

He's a splendid player and a joy to watch. Rarely any play acting either. He's the complete package.

I'm not biased either!

Id still rate him as a winger more than a defender though tbh.

Soby wrote: »
    Id still rate him as a winger more than a defender though tbh.

Me too, he's an awful defender in my opinion. He still does a lot of decent defensive work from the left of midfield, not quite as effective if he's constantly under pressure as a left back but that's understandable I suppose. His mind should be on one job, attacking the right backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Also, I don't think you're getting what SlickRic meant at all, but I'll leave you to figure that out yourself.

Maicon was made to lool like the Neviller on tuesday...love that Bale

BERBA wrote: »
    Maicon was made to lool like the Neviller on tuesday...love that Bale
    Jaysus lad ye got an awful footballing lesson off bolton lad.

good old bale kept quiet lad.

Bale world class and Maicon the best RB in the world? Some people are nuts in here. Maicon is highly rated because of his attacking ability not so much his defensive ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hows this thread then? people got down off the hysteria surrounding the lad yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

Gareth Bale, similar to leather pants really. They'll help you score in Europe but at home, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

'Arry deserves a lot of credit for moving him to winger as well, very good move from him as Bale was lost at LB, imo.

baz2009 wrote: »
    'Arry deserves a lot of credit for moving him to winger as well, very good move from him as Bale was lost at LB, imo.
    To be fair, 'Arry was about to loan him out to Notts Forest cause he didn't rate him as a starter.

He was kinda forced to play him tbh.

Gareth Bale, similar to leather pants really. They'll help you score in Europe but at home, not so much.

Definitely in contention for post of the year, I got a great laugh out of it

baz2009 wrote: »

'Arry still thinks he'll be a LB, so I'm not sure I'd be throwing too much credit his way.

I have the say the ridiculous hype that has grown around the kid seems surpassed only by the enthusiasm displayed by some to knock him. Well done lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

But there is no need to hype him to such great heights or knock him to the extent that some are! Cant we just agree he is a very good player with plenty of potential?

kryogen wrote: »
    But there is no need to hype him to such great heights or knock him to the extent that some are! Cant we just agree he is a very good player with plenty of potential?

On your first point I do neither.

On the 2nd I'm in agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

'Arry still thinks he'll be a LB, so I'm not sure I'd be throwing too much credit his way.

I have the say the ridiculous hype that has grown around the kid seems surpassed only by the enthusiasm displayed by some to knock him. Well done lads.

This, he's a great prospect but more than SKY and the redtops trying to big him up, most of the chatter is coming from tools determined to see him fail. Now that he didn't have a great game against Bolton, he'll be called shít. Fickle bunch.

Kold wrote: »
    This, he's a great prospect but more than SKY and the redtops trying to big him up, most of the chatter is coming from tools determined to see him fail. Now that he didn't have a great game against Bolton, he'll be called shít. Fickle bunch.

I don't think things are helped by the magpies among our number (oh look, bright shiny things!) any more than they are helped by the serial haters be they motivated by hatred of H, our perceived "arrogance", the fact that we usually have money to spend or the simple fact that Bale doesn't play for one of the established top sides ( we can't have lesser teams getting uppity now, can we?)

C'est la vie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I don't think things are helped by the magpies among our number (oh look, bright shiny things!) any more than they are helped by the serial haters be they motivated by hatred of H, our perceived "arrogance", the fact that we usually have money to spend or the simple fact that Bale doesn't play for one of the established top sides ( we can't have lesser teams getting uppity now, can we?)

C'est la vie.

Of course we're going to praise a player who is on form as much as Bale is at the moment. This time last year I was calling Aaron Lennon the best winger in the Prem, and he probably was. Nani has only started performing in the last year and some United fans are calling him world class. Maybe next year, Anderson will be 'World class'. It's all part of the game at this point. Hope it doesn't affect the lad though, he's well on the way to being a legend at the Lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b7Pfs

Gareth Bale named in the Marca team of the year at LB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

world class player is our Bale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

THFC wrote: »
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b7Pfs

Gareth Bale named in the Marca team of the year at LB.

Hasn't played there much has he ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hasn't played there much has he ?

Great players are accomodated for:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ok ok, he's been accused of blowing hot & cold at times, but i'm ready to officially admit it...

...i reckon he's the real deal.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

ok ok, he's been accused of blowing hot & cold at times, but i'm ready to officially admit it...

It was a shame he missed half of last season he has added consistency to his game now and really seems to be a second stricker at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I also join this club.....Get the cheque book out Fergie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

He was playing like a center forward today,

That burst of speed for the second goal was increadible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

This thread reminds me of Bale... does nothing for half of the year. :p

No, seriously... when he's on this form he's as good as any winger in the world. Spurs have done super to keep him.

I think if you asked any United fan if they could have had him instead of Young over the Summer, the vast majority would want Bale.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing in Spain in the next 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Ironically, he's been miles better than he was last season yet he won't come close to winning the player of the year award this time around.

Blatter wrote: »
    Ironically, he's been miles better than he was last season yet he won't come close to winning the player of the year award this time around.

Cos there are better players?

• Advertisement
Advertisement