Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gareth Bale

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Barcas new left sided Alves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

flahavaj wrote: »
    Barcas new left sided Alves.

Too good for United? Tut tut, I'm expecting a bid from City anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

THFC wrote: »
    Too good for United? Tut tut, I'm expecting a bid from City anyways.
    'Arry would love that, he'd get half the city squad in return probably.

Liam O wrote: »
    'Arry would love that, he'd get half the city squad in return probably.

That and something for himself no doubt..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Cos there are better players?

no.

it's because he hasn't ripped Inter a new one.

that was the only real reason he won it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Feels like it was only yesterday I was reading about this Bale chap who was apparently cursed and Spurs had never won while he was playing. Think it was broken the day I read that as he was brought on at the end of a 4-0 win:

http://avoidingthedrop.com/2009/09/29/gareth-bale-gets-his-first-win/

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/stevewilson/8108247/The_curse_of_Tottenhams_Gareth_Bale/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

2 yellows in 2 games for diving.....sure he's not Uruguayan. Talented sure but disgraceful diver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

hamstring gone. Shame for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Just when I trade him into my fantasy team!!:rolleyes:

rob316 wrote: »
    2 yellows in 2 games for diving.....sure he's not Uruguayan. Talented sure but disgraceful diver.
    Complaining that Bale isn't hated as much as Suarez just for his diving is ridiculous. There's a million other reasons to hate Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dive Dive Dive.....Dive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Alan Hanson on MOTD thinks he isn't a diver! That he is just theatrical when he falls over from a tackle :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Alan Hanson on MOTD thinks he isn't a diver! That he is just theatrical when he falls over from a tackle :D

He's right. He showed two different tackles where there was contact - limited yes, but contact none the less - but then the theatricalness of the fall is ott. Arms flaying etc. no need for it, but that's Bale.

Neville agreed that there was contact but the exaggerated nature of the fall is why he got booked.

He should have been booked again for the sarcastic applause he gave the ref - he wouldn't be out injured if he was:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

It's a shame people feel the need to make excuses for cheats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    He's right. He showed two different tackles where there was contact - limited yes, but contact none the less - but then the theatricalness of the fall is ott. Arms flaying etc. no need for it, but that's Bale.

Neville agreed that there was contact but the exaggerated nature of the fall is why he got booked.

He should have been booked again for the sarcastic applause he gave the ref - he wouldn't be out injured if he was:p

But the one they should have showed was the one ironically they showed on MOTD 2 a couple of weeks ago against Aston Villa, where Lawrenson acknowledged he had dived (albeit in an 'isn't it so funny' kind of way):

I think Bale is an exciting player but he clearly has a propensity for diving and if it wasn't for the fact he's British they'd be speaking in very solemn tones about it.

But the one they should have showed was the one ironically they showed on MOTD 2 a couple of weeks ago against Aston Villa, where Lawrenson acknowledged he had dived (albeit in an 'isn't it so funny' kind of way):

I think Bale is an exciting player but he clearly has a propensity for diving and if it wasn't for the fact he's British they'd be speaking in very solemn tones about it.

He's British,it's grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He's British,it's grand.
    In fairness it's not as if Continentals chastise their players for it either. In fact the main difference is that it's actually encouraged as 'part of the game' there. At least in the UK it is ridiculed, even if they do try and airbrush it when their own are guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Thing about this is if he didn't go down he might have gotten an absolute belter into the leg. I don't know about you but if I was travelling as fast as Bale I'd go down easy too because I'd rather be branded a diver than have a broken leg. It's not like he started screaming for a free there, he just went down. 2 yellows in 2 games for diving where neither were dives. I can't remember was it AVB or Harry or whoever but they alluded to the point that if he doesn't limit the contact then he's going to get injured a lot more than he already is just by taking the hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Honestly, there's loads about Bale diving. Way more than Gerrard, RVP, Balotelli and Nani who are just as bad if not worse.
    People just want to hate on Bale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

You must be a Spurs fan ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Kold wrote: »
    Honestly, there's loads about Bale diving. Way more than Gerrard, RVP, Balotelli and Nani who are just as bad if not worse.
    People just want to hate on Bale.

Show me where?

I've rarely seen it mentioned in the press.

He worse for diving than Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

jive wrote: »
    Thing about this is if he didn't go down he might have gotten an absolute belter into the leg. I don't know about you but if I was travelling as fast as Bale I'd go down easy too because I'd rather be branded a diver than have a broken leg. It's not like he started screaming for a free there, he just went down. 2 yellows in 2 games for diving where neither were dives. I can't remember was it AVB or Harry or whoever but they alluded to the point that if he doesn't limit the contact then he's going to get injured a lot more than he already is just by taking the hits.
    There was nothing about this during the Ronaldo witch-hunts even though he got it much worse than Bale and rarely if ever dived without any contact like Bale does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness it's not as if Continentals chastise their players for it either. In fact the main difference is that it's actually encouraged as 'part of the game' there. At least in the UK it is ridiculed, even if they do try and airbrush it when their own are guilty.

Where is it encouraged?

What absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

jive wrote: »

He would have been long gone by the time that foot would have hit him, (and it wouldn't in the first place, as the goalie pulled it back).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Gareth Bale dives to avoid injury and Luis Suarez dives because he is a cheating foreigner... British journalism, best in the world.

Bales a wánker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Very lucky to stay on the pitch for that sarcastic applause

Very talented player but impossible to warm to with the ridiculous play acting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

cgpg5 wrote: »

Couldnt agree more - he's a supremely talented footballer, but also a supremely annoying little.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

cgpg5 wrote: »

Well he obviously clapped because it was the wrong decision and there was contact. He will be targeted now by referees, all his own fault may I add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Cheating monkey boy.

Santi101 wrote: »
    Cheating monkey boy.

Very mature, insulting him for his looks :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Well he obviously clapped because it was the wrong decision and there was contact. He will be targeted now by referees, all his own fault may I add.

Rooney got sent off for similar in champs league years ago. He's blessed the ref didn't send him to the line

Was there any contact? Looked like he just jumped over his leg and then threw his hands in the air. Looked incredibly embarrassing tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I always say this in this sort of thread......football is a contact sport and all contact is not a foul. Just cause you leave your leg hanging enough and throw our arms in the air does not mean you are being fouled. i applaud ref's for handing out yellows for these theatritics. More of it I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

alproctor wrote: »

Couldnt agree more - he's a supremely talented footballer, but also a supremely annoying little.........
    he's just a better less likable version of Kevin kilbane. yes he has a blistering turn of pace but how any defender with a brain cannot see that he will just blast down the wing and hammer the ball across the box is beyond me. the man is the most overrated one trick pony in the league. turn him to the inside, and you have rendered him just another average player who happens to dive a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Santi101 wrote: »
    Cheating monkey boy.

Grow up

Gareth Bale dives to avoid injury and Luis Suarez dives because he is a cheating foreigner... British journalism, best in the world.

Bales a wánker.
    Again, there's a million other reasons to hate Suarez, the diving is just another excuse to ridicule him. There's a word up there that's much more appropriate for Suarez, and ironically, you've used it to describe Bale. I don't see why Suarez should be brought into this thread, he comes across as a vile human being, as well being a proven racist with cannibalistic tendencies. Extremely unfair to Bale to compare the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's a cheat, plain and simple.

As are many footballers. Another dislikeable player, news at eleven.

I wouldn't mind, but players who play the game in an unmanly fashion like Gareth Bale shouldn't be celebrated. There was a time when a player like him would have had to toughen up or get booted out of the game, and football was better for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

the man is the most overrated one trick pony in the league. turn him to the inside, and you have rendered him just another average player who happens to dive a lot

In fairness he is a winger, one trick is all he needs

he's just a better less likable version of Kevin kilbane. yes he has a blistering turn of pace but how any defender with a brain cannot see that he will just blast down the wing and hammer the ball across the box is beyond me. the man is the most overrated one trick pony in the league. turn him to the inside, and you have rendered him just another average player who happens to dive a lot
    I think this has been dis-proven, I used to think the same myself but Bale is quickly turning into one of the best wingers in the world, the man is an animal. His technical ability and positional awareness have vastly improved this season. Give him two more years to develop further and I personally think he will be the best out and out winger in the world.

In fairness he is a winger, one trick is all he needs
    totally agree but the fact that none of the defenders in the league cotton onto it amazes me. same can be said for valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

totally agree but the fact that none of the defenders in the league cotton onto it amazes me. same can be said for valencia.

Catching onto it has nothing to do with it. They're two of the fastest players in the PL, catching them when they knock it ahead isn't exactly an easy thing.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »

Catching onto it has nothing to do with it. They're two of the fastest players in the PL, catching them when they knock it ahead isn't exactly an easy thing.
    its called anticipation. if he wants to go on the outside make him work for it. anyway just how i feel, agree he is an animal of a man just think the defenders inc. centre backs should be ready for the ball coming across the box low and early. its the same all the time. do they not watch MOTD

its called anticipation. if he wants to go on the outside make him work for it. anyway just how i feel, agree he is an animal of a man just think the defenders inc. centre backs should be ready for the ball coming across the box low and early. its the same all the time. do they not watch MOTD

You are forgetting to mention his goal scoring ability on either foot let me add, proving he is not only a one trick pony winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Again, there's a million other reasons to hate Suarez, the diving is just another excuse to ridicule him. There's a word up there that's much more appropriate for Suarez, and ironically, you've used it to describe Bale. I don't see why Suarez should be brought into this thread, he comes across as a vile human being, as well being a proven racist with cannibalistic tendencies. Extremely unfair to Bale to compare the two.

Proven to probably be a racist by a court made up of the people taking out the case against him. In reality it wouldn't have even gotten to a verdict in a court of Law as there was absolutely no evidence. Not much point me saying this though because people will continue to ignore the facts and brand him a racist.

Proven to probably be a racist by a court made up of the people taking out the case against him. In reality it wouldn't have even gotten to a verdict in a court of Law as there was absolutely no evidence. Not much point me saying this though because people will continue to ignore the facts and brand him a racist.
    Oh, so it's all a conspiracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Guys can we keep this on point please?

The point, obviously, being that Bale is a talented player who cheats constantly and gets away with it because diving is acceptable in today's game if there was "contact".

He's a cheat. So is Suarez so it's fine to compare Bale to other divers but I hardly think racism allegations have a place in the thread. The threads about Bales ability and his diving. He is a terrific player. Blinding pace, good finisher, good crosser, etc. But the diving and then the denial of being a cheat from him and others.....detracts from his talent.

This "going down to highlight the foul to the ref" lark would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. If you can stay on your feet and choose not to, you are diving. It's really that simple. You are simulating falling over.....you are pretending and it makes the job of the ref 100 times harder because he can no longer tell if a player has been scythed out of it because there are 7 or 8 fairies falling over constantly every match, in every league.

Oh, so it's all a conspiracy?

No, just a "court" not operating with adequate burdens of proof and acceptable procedures. All very irrelevant really. Suarez has got on with it and is having one hell of a season like the hero hen is, so life goes on.

Kirby wrote: »
    Guys can we keep this on point please?

The point, obviously, being that Bale is a talented player who cheats constantly and gets away with it because diving is acceptable in today's game if there was "contact".

He's a cheat. So is Suarez so it's fine to compare Bale to other divers but I hardly think racism allegations have a place in the thread. The threads about Bales ability and his diving. He is a terrific player. Blinding pace, good finisher, good crosser, etc. But the diving and then the denial of being a cheat from him and others.....detracts from his talent.

This "going down to highlight the foul to the ref" lark would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. If you can stay on your feet and choose not to, you are diving. It's really that simple. You are simulating falling over.....you are pretending and it makes the job of the ref 100 times harder because he can no longer tell if a player has been scythed out of it because there are 7 or 8 fairies falling over constantly every match, in every league.

Good post.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    No, just a "court" not operating with adequate burdens of proof and acceptable procedures. All very irrelevant really. Suarez has got on with it and is having one hell of a season like the hero hen is, so life goes on.
    Right. Didn't think many people could possibly deny what Suarez did, but there yeh have it.. I think Dalglish might have a t-shirt you may be interested in wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Right. Didn't think many people could possibly deny what Suarez did, but there yeh have it.. I think Dalglish might have a t-shirt you may be interested in wearing.

But why are you trying to deflect? Do you think that by shouting "Look! he's a racist!" that we will all suddenly forget that Bale is a diver?

It's not relevant. If you want to argue Saurez is just as bad a diver, it would be an on topic point. Argue that "Bale's not that bad because everyone does it" I would be with you. But deflecting from the issue isn't fooling anybody. Bale's a cheat. Just because he plays for your team.....it doesn't make him less of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Bales a good player but hes lazy at times. Its like hes forgotten why/how he played when he was younger. I dont remember him diving when he was back at Southampton or even in the early days at Spurs.

Advertisement