Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling somebody to back off!

Options
  • 25-08-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

What would you guys do in this situation - maybe I'm overreacting a little cos I don't really like this person because I find him a bit of a know-it-all :pac:?

I was walking our 13month old pup earlier when we met somebody with a pup of the same age. Their pup was running amok off it's lead as usual and comes over to our guy who was on his lead. Our guy got giddy at this stage and wanted to play with the other dog so was pulling a bit on his lead towards the other dog and towards the guy as he went to pet him (i had control of my dog and keeping his lead short so he wasn't going to jump anywhere) - next thing yer man taps our guy on the nose and puts his hand around it like he's Ceasar Milan or something. I was extremely pissed off but let it go cos it happened so fast. Our guy goes to training classes every week and is trained with positive reinforcement - we don't tap/hold his nose.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Should have "tapped"his nose,see if he liked it,heh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just say to anyone that does that not to do it or they are asking for trouble. I would just be try and be one step aheda of people and try and anticipate what they are going to do with your dog, ie pet it or something and just tell them not to do it.

I would have no hesitation telling someone not to touch my dog esp a stranger as god knows how he would react to something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

andreac wrote: »
    I would have no hesitation telling someone not to touch my dog esp a stranger as god knows how he would react to something like that.

+1. Bloody cheek of him, I would have been fuming and used some very choice words in telling him to please keep his hands to himself. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You were a lot more restrained than I would have been. You've obviously seen the man around with his dog, so not a total stranger, but still has absolutely no right to do that to your dog.

I wouldn't let it happen twice, next time I wouldn't let him near my dog, even to pet him and explain that you are unhappy with what he did the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The cheeky begger he had no right if he didn't want to be around the dog he should of just walked off, how dare he.
    He caught you off guard but if you pass him again give him an ear full, I'd be livid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks guys!! I don't really like the guy and always do my best to avoid him but his dog its always off it's lead and runs up to ours. I only ever let my guy off his lead in the afternoon to swim in the river and straight back on his lead - they're only allowed off in the morning before 11:00 and I don't want him bothering people/scaring kids who are afraid of big dogs. We walk the dogs in the same park so I didn't really want to say anything and tried to avoid them. He once told me my dog was overweight, hyper and basically I was a fool for getting him cos he was a 'purebred' and this is why he had problems. Another time he took my dog by his collar and yanked a ball he had thrown to a group of maybe 10 dogs out of his mouth when he didn't drop it for him - he wasn't giving him our command to drop. He makes comments about my dogs legs - his legs are deformed - it could be genetic, it could have been a trauma, it could be some developmental problem - we don't know but my dog is happy, not in pain and better behaved than his dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

i would be beside myself with anger if someone did anything like this to my dog! and his ears would still be burning! he has no business 'tapping' your dog's nose or yanking him by his collar or going near him for any other reason.
    does this person make you nervous in any way? you dont have to be agressive the next time you cant avoid him and he's approaching you just tell him you are in the process of training your dog and he needs to be kept focused so dont interact with us. it may feel like you are explaining urself to him but really in lay mans terms you just saying 'get lost and keep your grubby mits off my pooch'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Phenix wrote: »
    i would be beside myself with anger if someone did anything like this to my dog! and his ears would still be burning! he has no business 'tapping' your dog's nose or yanking him by his collar or going near him for any other reason.
    does this person make you nervous in any way? you dont have to be agressive the next time you cant avoid him and he's approaching you just tell him you are in the process of training your dog and he needs to be kept focused so dont interact with us. it may feel like you are explaining urself to him but really in lay mans terms you just saying 'get lost and keep your grubby mits off my pooch'

I would be the same , my dog is part of my family i know what i'd do if he "tapped" one of my kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

Have had a similar prob myself in the park i walk my dog in. Some girl actually smacked my dog!!:mad: the dog was after picking up a bone and was hiding behind this girl in an attempt to avoid me taking the bone back. The girl turned round and smacked my dog (quite hard) on the head!!!
    I freaked out and told her what an idiot she was. She has a dog herself and i have seen her smack her own dog! As I said to her it would serve her right if the dog bit the bloody hand off her.
    My dog has never had a hand raised to her (come to think of it dont think we've even raised our voices to her!!:D) Poor dog was stunned! She responds so well to positive training as she loves praise and treats!:)
    Told the girl if she ever came near me or my dog again there would be hell to pay! Also told her if i ever saw her hit any dog again i would be reporting her!
    Some people!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Write youself a little speech about all the things that wrong with his dog and learn it. Next time you see him comming get in with your little speech before he has a chance to say anything, it he tries to interrupt just keep talking . . . . see how he likes it :D

• Advertisement

It won't happen again - next time I'll politely ask him not to touch my dog and keep his on it's lead around him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

If I had a dog and someone smacked it or grabbed it I would probably react quite hard with words rhyming with truck and off and a swift movement of a foot toward the offending hand.

I would assume such is equal to a reaction with a stranger grabbing a restrained child by the neck or giving it an uninvited smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Think the replies here speaks volumes. Absolutely out of order. Don't hesitate to put him in his place if it ever happens again. Arrogent twat.

Haven't bumped into that douche since- I'll report back if I do! He told me I should have my guy on a choke chain too btw so that's the kind of training methods this expert practices :rolleyes: He was lucky because another dog could have taken the hand off him if it was threatened by some tool trying to dominate it - our guy's learning how to flip a treat off his nose so he's used to me holding his nose to balance the treat on! :pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

I'd suggest you tell him your dog is sick/or has a contagious skin condition/fleas when his dog approaches or himself approaches. he is likely to keep his distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

I'd suggest you tell him your dog is sick/or has a contagious skin condition/fleas when his dog approaches or himself approaches. he is likely to keep his distance.

I suggest in a similar vein you tell them you are ill - mentally ill and you have conflict issues that cause black outs were people in the past assaulting your dogs have been seriously assaulted :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thecapedcanine

tesslab wrote: »
    Have had a similar prob myself in the park i walk my dog in. Some girl actually smacked my dog!!:mad: the dog was after picking up a bone and was hiding behind this girl in an attempt to avoid me taking the bone back. The girl turned round and smacked my dog (quite hard) on the head!!!
    I freaked out and told her what an idiot she was. She has a dog herself and i have seen her smack her own dog! As I said to her it would serve her right if the dog bit the bloody hand off her.
    My dog has never had a hand raised to her (come to think of it dont think we've even raised our voices to her!!:D) Poor dog was stunned! She responds so well to positive training as she loves praise and treats!:)
    Told the girl if she ever came near me or my dog again there would be hell to pay! Also told her if i ever saw her hit any dog again i would be reporting her!
    Some people!!!!

I cant believe someone actually hit your dog. I have the most laid back labrador retriever in the world, a real sweetheart, and if anyone ever hit her I dont think I would be able to restrain myself from hitting the person back. The nerve of some people is absolutely astonishing.
    Your poor doggy - hitting a pet is a sure fire way to end up with a 'hand shy' animal that wouldnt allow you to groom \ check ears \ paws etc.
    Anyone that hits animals to 'discipline' them should not be allowed to keep companion animals.

This is something that has been annoying me too. I found myself in a situation with a gang before when they went to pet my dog. Again we were in the middle of a walk, they stood in front of me , blocking my path gesturing to the dog , whistling and so on. Basically distracting the dog. I pulled him in on a short lead and told them that i was currently training him, (which i was). They took offense to this , and squaring off to me. I diffused the situation and walked on . But this has happened a couple of time's.

I do have other people who ask , can i pet the dog , which i have no problem with that.

But i think there are boundaries when it comes to animals and alot of people over step them .

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

It really bugs me to hear stories like that.

As a pocket-money earner, my daughter walks one of our terriers each morning before school/leaving the house, anywhere between 8 & 8.30 each morning.

A couple of weeks ago she came in and complained about this man who was walking his dog too and his dog barked at our dog. My daughter said 'all Bob did was walk passed him while the other dog was barking, he didn't bark back and I kept him walking. Then the man told me to bring my dog in home as he is causing trouble'.
    My blood boiled. Picking on a child. If it was an adult would he have said anything?, don't think so. I told my daughter if she is ever confronted by an adult with a complaint tell them to stop being picking on small children and if they want to complain to talk to her mammy or daddy.

Some people are just rude and don't understand when they have overstepped the mark.

Advertisement