Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which phone to text to a large contact group

Options
  • 25-08-2010 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I'm not great on the technical side but my wife wants to upgrade so I got the job of sussing out the best phone for the job.

I had never heard of Android but I quickly discovered that there was a whole world of IPhone competition out there.

On reading and watching Youtube reviews I decided that the HTC Desire was number one on the wish list, so we headed for the O2 shop.

We asked lots of questions and got lots of answers from a very nice, very knowledgeable guy till the wife asked a question that stumped him.

She is secretary of an association and sends out regular mails & texts to members keeping them informed. She sometimes needs to send the texts from her phone which is cumbersome and time consuming as she currently can send to a maximum of only 18 in a group.

As she has over 300 members this can be a pain.

The O2 sales guy or his coleague could not say to how many the Desire could text so I rang a HTC information/helpline today to be told that the maximum number of contacts to which I could send a text message on any HTC phone is 10.

I was astounded as I had assumed that the technology is such that the number would be infinitly greater than the 18 she can currently send from her very ordinary 5 year old Sony Ericsson mobile.

Anybody got any comments, suggestions or advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The main attraction of Android is any function can be replaced with an app, some might offer a larger group for sending messages.

I use Handcent, but not sure know how many you can send to in one go...

http://www.handcent.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Unlimited, from version 2.3.8 - ;)

http://www.handcent.com/News.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mmm well as far from my experience nokias are easiest to text multiple people...

but if you wanna get the desire and still send texts to many try using web text...

search cabbage texter (its a desktop app to use web text, you can also get it for your android as an app[requires internet+pulls in all contacts from the phonebook])...she can enter phone numbers (and sort them in groups for sending) and save them for next time...

well most people do it that way anyway...handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Not sure what sort of association your wife is running but 300 text messages is a very large number to be sending in one go. I run the youth section of a sports club with about 150 members and we have been using teamer.net to manage our communication. By this I mean match times, training times, general announcements etc. All the texts it sends are free.

yeah well web texts are free ;)

if you need more texts you can always just pick up a free sim and switch between accounts :)

it can auto add signatures so people will know who it is if you change number

though as i said the most pleasant multi send phones are nokias in my opinion...E with qwerty would be probably best...

hmmm not a fan of teamer...our karting society uses it and alot of people end up not getting texts lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Well webtext only gives you a certain amount every month - on Meteor it's 300 which equates to a single group text for the OPs wife. It's not a solution for large groups. Cabbage texter is pretty handy for small group texts though.

I have to send out information every week and in my experience teamer is very reliable. My main problem is getting people to respond - people can be lazy f**kers when someone else is doing the organising ;). The only problems I encountered with their system were down to me putting in incorrect contact numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Thanks for all the advice guys.

We'll be going for the Desire, maybe two and take it from there.

did some search on bing...

came up with a link to this on the 2nd post.....

Download Multi Sms 1.1.6

Group SMS Plus 2.0

guess that solves your problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

did some search on bing...

came up with a link to this on the 2nd post.....

Download Multi Sms 1.1.6

Group SMS Plus 2.0

guess that solves your problem :)

Thanks. Both look good, will check them out

Advertisement