Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with my veggies!

Options
  • 25-08-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Having recently become a lower carber (and loving it) I've really experimented with vegetables recently and found a few that I really love. I've tried pretty much everything now and in a variety of ways, with the exception of the higher carb root veg like carrot & parsnip, and corn.

So my faves are asparagus and green beans, (and all the onion family, leeks and mushrooms) and find myself relying on these a lot - especially the first 2 as my green veg. To my dismay asparagus is going out of season, so my question is what else am I missing here? Are there any other 'stalky' veg out there like asparagus? If you like asparagus and green beans, what other veg do you like (maybe we have the same taste!)?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭billybongoes

Can't say I eat asparagus and green beans much (they're not in my local supermarket that often) but it sounds like you like crunchy veg, me too! I'm a big fan of lightly stir fried crunchy broccoli (with soy sauce and chili flakes mmm....) or lightly stir fried white cabbage. Can you tell I like stir frying? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Thanks! Yes I do like crunchy savoy cabbage actually, but not a huge fan of the leafiness of the top of broccoli unfortunately. Also I eat lots of fish so I can't see savoy cabbage and fish working - does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

i wouldnt see why cabbage wouldnt work with fish...
    how abt mange tout or celery?
    i loooooovve spinach and kale and i find it works well with fish (although if u are unsure abt teh cabbage you might not be into these!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you like "stalky" you can get a type of broccoli that is like that .. think normal broccoli but with a long thin stalk with a few small leaves on it, and a much smaller broccoli type 'head'. I saw it in Tesco's today as it happens. There's a purple sprouting type as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

What about pak choi? Its yum and works with fish.

I second spinach also - with nutmeg, creme fraiche and mustard its fab with fish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Kimia wrote: »
    Having recently become a lower carber (and loving it) I've really experimented with vegetables recently and found a few that I really love. I've tried pretty much everything now and in a variety of ways, with the exception of the higher carb root veg like carrot & parsnip, and corn.

So my faves are asparagus and green beans, (and all the onion family, leeks and mushrooms) and find myself relying on these a lot - especially the first 2 as my green veg. To my dismay asparagus is going out of season, so my question is what else am I missing here? Are there any other 'stalky' veg out there like asparagus? If you like asparagus and green beans, what other veg do you like (maybe we have the same taste!)?

Thanks all :)

Where are you buying your asparagus from? Irish season should have ended in July. Most of the worlds fresh asparagus comes frim Ecuador and Peru due to the vast change in altitude, They start harvesting lower down and work there way up the mountains. If your looking fresh green vegetables your going to start to struggle after October if you want Irish. See the link below for whats in season when.

http://www.bestinseason.ie/whats-in-season/

Have you tried Pak choi(very creamy flavour), chinese cabbage or using Sweetheart(York) cabbage in stir frys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Thanks everyone. I was getting my asparagus in Aldi and Tesco, also M&S. God I'm going to miss it.

I do love cabbage but I find that the texture isn't soft enough for fish, whereas spinach is too soft, if anyone knows what I mean.

The sprouting broccoli sounds good - I must try that. Haven't tried pak choi - any recipes for this?

Any other 'in season' suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Pak choi is really nice sauteed or stirfried. it doesn't require a lot of cooking time.

Broccoli rabe or rappini is very nice if you can find it. Its a type of broccoli. Its very quick to cook and you can toss it with some garlic and red pepper flakes.. so yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Kimia wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I was getting my asparagus in Aldi and Tesco, also M&S. God I'm going to miss it.

I do love cabbage but I find that the texture isn't soft enough for fish, whereas spinach is too soft, if anyone knows what I mean.

The sprouting broccoli sounds good - I must try that. Haven't tried pak choi - any recipes for this?

Any other 'in season' suggestions?

The supermarkets supply it all year round, if they can make money out of it they sell it, they just fly it in from other countries. As I said you probably been buying south american asparagus already with a little english earlier in the year.

The purple sprouting broccoli above is ok, more a gimick veg, very hard to get it just right. You might be better off growing some of these green veggies next year as not really a great range of the more exotic carried in Ireland or grown here. Have you tried courgettes with fish? Richard Corrigan cooked sole last night on tv and served it wrapped in thinly sliced courgette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

My local fruit & veg. shop sells asparagus all year round. IMO you should try kohlrabi, fresh beetroot & celeriac, also available all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Choi Sum - steam it for a few minutes, delicious with a splash of soy sauce and a dash of seasme oil. Head to the chinese supermarkets and scan the fridges for brassicas, there are many different types.

Advertisement